Alteil online card game

Discussion in 'Now Playing' started by Fry, Nov 13, 2009.

1. Fry

Fry Well-Known Member

Yellow mirror is dumb, no yomi available, if neither player is a moron it is all about dice rolls
  2. Alhazard

Alhazard Active Member

Alteil has exemplary customer service. A++ level.

EDIT: Not a sarcastic comment.
  3. Ilk1986

Ilk1986 Active Member

Even if they implemented trading, gifting, gave you limitless MM that showed you all the cards for 3/6/9 seconds beforehand, and so on and so forth, odds are, working for minimum wage and then purchasing Gran would still be a quicker way to farm cards.

To put it into perspective, to simply collect every single card that's out right now, assuming you get 10 gran a day, and assuming you never ever ever EVER receive duplicates beyond a third copy, it'd take you about 3 years to complete the current collection if you don't miss a single day.

Essentially, free players are absolutely fucking screwed if they hope to do something like in Kongai.

Odds are at this rate, I'm going to quit pretty soon, because simply, the game was designed to draw you in and attempt to milk you for anything you're willing to pay. Whether or not the system is well designed (undoubtedly, it is) is beside the point. The fact is that there's no way you get to play the real game without shelling out in much the same way you do in an F2P MMO.
  4. garcia1000

garcia1000 World Champion Staff Member

They are pretty successful at doing so, too!

There was some guy who made like, $10/month? And he spent $5/month buying gran. That is pretty funny imo
  5. icewolf34

icewolf34 Well-Known Member

Saw a funny ad for this game today.
    [​IMG]
  6. garcia1000

Apparently guild points are whenever a guild member wins a match it is +2, and when loses a match is -1. And 6 members is the max until it 'levels up' to level 2.

Also, I think they are thinking up guild competitions, so it's not totally pointless!
  7. Fry

Fry Well-Known Member

I was wondering why I couldn't jam the rest of my alts in. Feel free to boot alts if more real people want to join
  8. icewolf34

Maybe I should join your guild!

Are there particularly good expansions for building each starter? Like maybe buy set 3 for gowen, because it has Ball of Flame and Merc as * commons. Is there any set like this for Falkow?

(I posted this question to alteil forums as well.)
  9. Gavisi

Gavisi Active Member

Use the lottery. Boosters help when you're looking for specific rares, but when you're starting out and don't have many cards, 10 gran/card is a lot better than 30 gran/card. I spent about 2000 gran on the lottery (paying player!) and got tons of good stuff. If you do decide to buy boosters, get Set 3, the Proxies are incredibly good and open the potential for multi-sphere decks.
  10. garcia1000

Buy lotto instead!

Also, I don't know who to kick out to make new spots in the guild. On the bright side if we win 200 more games we have more space!
  11. icewolf34

Starting to seriously doubt the advice about buying lotteries. Maybe if you will be playing for like a year and hope to accumulate a very broad-based collection. But people say lotteries give 8% chance to win a **, plus it's spread out across 5 expansions. So chance of getting a playset of even a ** card in any reasonable timeframe is really, really low.

Say you have 150 gran to spend, on average you will get 1.2 ** out of it, and they are distributed across five sets. OR you can buy a booster, where you will get 2 ** out of it, and they are both from the same set.

(As for timeframe, I'd be really surprised if any of us were playing this game in a year. Maybe some of the people who already invested real dollars will feel some sort of attachment, I dunno.)

Maybe play lottery until you get first copy of a ** you want, then buy boosters to complete the set. One of you said that you liked the revive mechanic in this game, but it's incredibly pathological together with the card acquisition mechanics.

---
    Numbers from http://www.alteil.com/forum/index.php?f=13&t=2739&rb_v=viewtopic Haven't seen any other numbers on lotteries, maybe you guys can share your experiences. 8% is astonishingly low, so maybe that guy is just unlucky despite his large sample size.
    ---

EDIT: I think http://www.alteil.com/forum/index.php?f=27&t=3732&rb_v=viewtopic (look for post with author "Artist") has the breakdown.
  12. garcia1000

I will keep track in future, but I have around 30 1-rarity cards from lotto, 9 2-rarity, and 4 3-rarity on my main account.
  13. garcia1000

My win rate in Folrart has hit 50%! Maybe it's because more newbies due to 5 of 7, dunno. But I have had good results by building up to an endgame of either spell lancer or bog wyvern depending on circumstances. Spell Lancer is pretty cool guy, kills multiple high HP/DF units per turn and hides in back row, doesn't afraid of drinking up SP
  14. icewolf34

Wow, I think I have 15 * cards, 1 ** card. Pretty bad!

My new plan is to build an alt with either lapierre deck or a merc + ball of flame deck through MM only, and leave it at lvl 1. until a Treasure Week. Then, I will use it to be a huge douchebag to people in Crest, hopefully getting 50-win streak or something.

It's weird to think about your low levels as a resource to be conserved.
  15. garcia1000

This sounds like a winning move!
  16. garcia1000

17. Alhazard

Alhazard Active Member

Another reason why game fails
  18. icewolf34

time to buy more gran amirite??
  19. garcia1000

ChadMiller: lol. I lost to the demo
    ChadMiller: I can't even tell what the win condition is in this game
    ChadMiller: it's like if I were playing an mtg "tutorial" that told you how to tap lands and stopped there
  20. Shiri

Shiri Well-Known Member

Hahahaha, top tier ad.
  21. Kayin

Kayin Well-Known Member

That is the best ad ever. Those cleavage ads were a load of BS.
  22. Gavisi

Gavisi Active Member

Looking over past archives, they usually don't announce limited time "your Gran is worth more" events until a day in advance. I hate to say never spend any Gran and just wait for those days, but man, that's what it feels like.

The trick to beating Lamepierre decks is killing Lamepierre a lot. This is nowhere near as hard as it sounds.
  23. LoneKnight

LoneKnight Well-Known Member

I had a treasure battle for Fenrir (a lycanthrope. I have a lycan deck). Against oh, a guy with a 68 winstreak playing a prim deck. I'm kind of irritated now.
  24. Gavisi

Gavisi Active Member

25. LoneKnight

I've played till turn 10 to qualify for that ninja thing.
  26. garcia1000

27. ChadMiller

ChadMiller Well-Known Member

28. garcia1000

Flowchart for winning with Gowen starter deck:

[​IMG]
  29. garcia1000

Also, I will probably kick out a guy temporarily from the guild beacuse it's full! I will join with my yellow/purple starters and leave when I get to level 15. That way there will be more guild points!
  30. Ilk1986

Ilk1986 Active Member

Oh and that "more rarity" event? No, not really. It's still a negative expectation game.
  31. icewolf34

32. garcia1000

I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a statement.
  33. Gavisi

Gavisi Active Member

The problem with this event is that most people, including me, expected a notable increase in the rarity rates. Well forget notable, it's not even noticeable. I did get a 3*, 2*, and 1* from 30 Gran though.

Also there's only a limited number of EX Mercenary Girls, so go get one if you haven't already. She's pretty good.
  34. icewolf34

Wait, by spending 30 Gran you got a ***, a **, and a *? That seems pretty good to me! Usually for 30 Gran I get three 1-stars.
  35. icewolf34

Damn you MTCosta, look at what you've done.

I hate everyone who encouraged me to play this game, it's all your fault. :mad::mad::mad:

I feel so ashamed.
  36. garcia1000

:(

I am still a free player imo
  37. LoneKnight

I'm free as well, and will endeavor to stay that way. Do not forget the famous quote:

FREEEEEEEEEEDOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM

-William Wallace
  38. icewolf34

I am hopeful for my still-free Refess alt, though! That one tries to gain unfair advantage by frontloading a lot of Mirage Master instead of explicitly paying dollars!

39. Ilk1986

Ilk1986 Active Member

Summon a guy. Attack guardian. Is he dead? No.

BUT YOUR GUYS ARE!

(GG)
  40. garcia1000

Ilk, it would really help free players if you didn't post so much in Alteil forums!
  41. banewlf

banewlf Well-Known Member

So after not having played Alteil in a while, I started reading this thread and noticed you guys talking about an increased rarity weekend. I then went ahead and logged in and spent 3 dollars to buy 300 gran and play the lottery. Just from that, I got most of the 1 stars I wanted and gained quite a lot of value in cards. Now, I actually feel like my deck has a strategy that I can reasonably execute.

I suggest others do this if you are interested. 3 dollars isn't much and as long as you recycle all of the cards you aren't interested you will get a lot of value from this. I opened multiple 3 stars and two 4 stars. Recycling a single 4 star gives you 15 more chances at the lottery.
  42. Gavisi

Gavisi Active Member

Yeah, if you don't have a lot of cards (i.e. any free player), then even a little bit of lotto can help a lot.

My 99 pull was pretty crappy. After that, it seemed like I was getting better results from 10-card pulls. I did get a 5*, but it was crappy (Holy Emperor / Retear, ...), so I recycled it.

When I get the chance, I'm gonna go through my collection and figure out which 1*s I'm missing. Probably still a lot, but it feels like I have a really solid collection now.

The lottery is pretty sneaky. You get excited about getting 4* card that are also really good (Dical, Afel, Athira Shin). Then you realize, oh, what am I going to do with single copies of these guys? Nothing much.

icewolf, man, guess I'm not the unluckiest guy anymore.
  43. icewolf34

Fought some guys in Crest today who bought EX packs, definitely uphill battle. Might lose my win streak soon! :( From observing other games, seems like there are a bunch more powered-up decks in Crest today.

I beat my first Lapierre deck today! Game was really close because he happened to play the +DEF grimoire on the same turn I did my 40-damage-to-two-random-guys SS, so basically I wasted my SS and Lapierre lived. Then I killed him with Rapier Fencer. No idea what that lvl 4 refess card does, I always killed it on sight because it looked scary.

I also beat a guy that abused Sky Staff Sorceress together with SS that does -40 MAX HP and +1 falkow. (He had two of those, wtf so rigged.) Fortunately he was a dumb guy and played enchantress a lot. So I did Rocs and a lot of Sylph / Undine in front row.

---
    I have one bog wyvern now, but I never know when to bring it out. It is kind of all-or-nothing because I can't revive it and it locks a bunch of my cards, and it costs a ton to play.

One thing I also realized is, private duel gives 1x EXP instead of 1.5, so you can use it to stay in Crest longer!
  44. Gavisi

Gavisi Active Member

I used private duels when I was playing Lapierre in Crest. Lots of treasure battles.

Post your file!

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2508420/Lamepierre 12-12-09.bmp

I'm still working on this. Really want to replace Acolyte with Folrart Captain, but I only have 1 copy of him.

Single Undine is really really good late game, especially against big creature files.

Also, the key to beating Lapierre files is killing Lapierre a lot. The rest of the units except for Guardian are not particularly great, it's just Lapierre's buffs make them seem good. This strategy won't work as well if they have Folrart Captains though.
  45. icewolf34

Have no idea what to do if they are running Guardian and Lapierre. I ran into a deck with one Guardian once, but I guess he only had a singleton. What do you usually lose to? I don't have Spell Lancer, I have one Bog Wyvern and the 3x Rapier Fencers that came with the deck. Undine Soldier could be decent if he was faster, but at speed 3 he moves after most of my attackers.

Also, I really like running Witch->Undine opening but no idea what to do if they do Haste Soldier on turn one. So far I have mostly gotten lucky against dumb opponents. Someone on forums suggested splash for Dryad, which I can do, but I don't have any other good lvl-1 red cards (hoping for a few salamanders, maybe...)
  46. Ilk1986

Ilk1986 Active Member

And WTF was that "not all free players think this way", you asshole? Want us to get nothing?
  47. icewolf34

Hey man
    a good way to tell your rhetoric is effective is if someone says to you "oh, that is a good point, i agree with you now."
    probably if a lot of people are saying that to you, that means you are making progress!

By the way, you are obviously right about the exploitative nature of a freemium game (everyone knows this), but you need to drop that "bits are free" nonsense because it makes you sound like a hack. It's true that there are no wildly successful freemium MMOs, but there are sustainable ones, and there aren't any sustainable ad-supported MMOs out there. If you want to make a convincing argument, you can't just say how you feel over and over again. A convincing argument might be "you would net more money if cards were cheaper and more attractive to buy" or "you'd have a larger playerbase if you could buy the full set of cards for $60." Saying how frustrated you feel or asking people to scoop to you is not a good way to swing the argument.
  48. LoneKnight

Get the Mercenary girl EX card if there are still some left. They are freakin good and you only need one. Read back in the topic for details (or check the Alteil main site/forums)
  49. garcia1000

I think you are the guy who is most actively getting free players nothing! The first 10 posts were good. The last 990 ones which just repeat the point and insult everyone, not so good! I realise you are in some fantasy world where as long as you repeat things loudly enough then eventually people will agree with you, but that isn't how real progress is made.

For example, if they do a rarity up lotto, posting "Everyone don't do this lotto! Also, don't pay them money!" is probably not the best way to get people to see your point of view!
  50. garcia1000

Brag: Beat InigoMontoya's Primclone deck with my mod Falkow starter