Alteil online card game

Discussion in 'Now Playing' started by Fry, Nov 13, 2009.

1. Eji1700

Eji1700 Well-Known Member

You lose vodore and i think some undines but from everything i've heard the new falk starter is pretty big step up.
  2. banewlf

banewlf Well-Known Member

Just switched to the new Falkow starter and it is much better than the old one. Femiel is far more useful than Vordore was, and the only thing that I lost that I cared about was the Scythe Soldiers. But, they are far from irreplaceable. Also, the spells are much better. Refuge and Cyclone sucks, while Ice Lance is at least mediocre (and situationally very good) and Flanking Attack is great. It seems this new starter allows for a lot more creativity with your plays and timing as well. Overall A+.
  3. garcia1000

garcia1000 World Champion Staff Member

the only thing I care about losing is Scythe Soldier. what's the replacement for him in the new deck?
  4. banewlf

They replaced him with Mermaid Soldier. a 50 hp/ 30 atk/ 1 rng level 3 with 0 cost pinpoint. Basically, just a worse version of him.
  5. Ilk1986

Ilk1986 Active Member

That's worse? Seriously? 50 HP over 40? If the pinpoint isn't range-restricted, she's a strictly *better* version of him.

Edit: Got my 3rd EX pack today.

Now I need 2 more heierrat revolver bladesman

And 3 rifleman knights

And a salamander soldier

And 2-3 balls of lame.
  6. Gavisi

Gavisi Active Member

He specifically said Mermaid Soldier has 1 RNG. They serve different roles, Mermaid is a front-line fighter, Sycthe Soldier is either a second row attacker or he can go front-line and pinpoint their second row units and ignore the front-line stuff (hard to do with 40 HP). Neither of them are very good though.
  7. icewolf34

icewolf34 Well-Known Member

Wizard Archer is also in the new Starter, fills in the role of Magic Scythe in many cases.
  8. LoneKnight

LoneKnight Well-Known Member

I don't get how anyone could think cyclone is bad. It stops my lycan deck dead, and can bounce the usual kurina/highland/combat monk(/alrune?) opening of gowen right back. Extra bonus if you had sylph(s) out, youcan use them again.
  9. garcia1000

Tempest is bad. Cyclone is top tier
  10. banewlf

Yeah, my mistake. I meant Tempest when I said Cyclone. It was the spell in the old starter.
  11. LoneKnight

LoneKnight Well-Known Member

Oh wow. No wonder Demongod is being irritated in the forums. Is ANIMEnaic a dev or something? Or some kind of undercover agent?
  12. Ilk1986

Ilk1986 Active Member

Or maybe just a general moralistic ass.
  13. garcia1000

The Alteil forum is pretty lame. That's mainly because the required changes to the game are obvious, so people talk about them. But no one does anything about it, so people start to bitch. Then people get defensive because of the bitching. So it's a bunch of defensive, bitchy people who are having their reasonable suggestions ignored.
  14. icewolf34

Haha, Ilk has a way of making friends. GM goes from defending him and locking hostile threads to saying 'FU too Ilk' in the space of two weeks.

Be nice, guys. Maybe it's fun for some of you to get into pissing matches with people who can't even find the punctuation buttons on the keyboard, but it's kind of embarrassing to watch. Plus it's not very persuasive regardless of the rightness of your position.

(Agree with garcia's characterization in general, ofc.)

In other news, doing okay with slightly modded new Falkow starter so far, seems pretty good. Basically I just switched in two Mage Knights and one Witch for some nonsense. Sorcerer Monk destroys people who try to ramp to midrange. Got first Rasam in level up! Obviously will be months before I see another one, though.
  15. Gavisi

Gavisi Active Member

I'm playing Shrine Knights now (without Miffyre). I see now why Miffyre is useful - sure the opponent gets extra SP, but most files can't make good use of it because they're built around a non-Miffyre mana curve. Meanwhile an extra SP every turn lets you quickly build a strong field. The set-up time is SK's first weakness. The second is that its creatures are made of cardboard. Well, Miffyre helps that first weakness.

I also built an Undead file and played tanks with a Falkow guy. He did Magic Shade Soldier SS (all his units get attack = 999), then used Snaf's action skill to swap the attack and max HP of a Giant Tortoise. Tortoise rests to recover 249 HP, I forfeit. On the plus side, Undead beats Bog Wyvern now that you have Lich (3 SP, return 4 Undead to your file).

Also for all the money I've spent, I still only have 1 Mage Knight, 1 Folrart Captain, and zero Sergis or Rasam. Granted I have other cool stuff, but still frustrating.
  16. icewolf34

Weird experience with Falkow starter so far. I've beat Magic Dolls, Shrine Knights, Lapierre Refess, Mid Lawtia, Big Lawtia. But, I lose badly to every Gowen Rush file that isn't horribly misplayed.

My deck is http://dl.dropbox.com/u/636955/Snapshot 2009-12-29 21-49-31.png , would be happy to take suggestions. I have some good SS, like Garfath, Scylla, and Dilate. I could swap out Archers for 3x Spell Lancer, but I really don't have the spare SP to use them.
  17. Eji1700

Witch open really really hurts gown rush if you can keep her alive. Heck just having her on the field at all hurts it a ton since many of the tanks are lvl 2.

Also inquisition raid leader is very very meh in folrat. You might be better off switching it for a 1lp 40 damage skill like scylla, or finding another 2lp that buffs your field. Really im not sure why you're losing to gowen rush.

Edit: you have cyclone..how anti gowen rush can you get? Let them get out 2 or 3 lvl 2's and hit them and you've got a huge lead.
  18. Ilk1986

Ilk1986 Active Member

Basically the case is this: if you're playing gowen rush, you get cycloned, you can press the give up button right then and there because you're not coming back from that. I think of all the times I've gotten hit by cyclone I've won once, maybe twice out of like ten games or so.

Generally, cyclone is the "whoops, I win" card vs. Gowen.

Use EX Primrose before that, and it's' the "whoops, I win" card vs. just about anything except mid-lawt and bigs.
  19. garcia1000

Ilk1986 is top 3 in rank points or something. Probably he will get more than 100 gran from weekly gran, wtf
  20. icewolf34

Ilk, in my game against you I think you opened something like: Spores, Dual-Axe, Combat Monk, Salamander, Yuni or something like that. I didn't really feel like Cyclone would be helpful against that!

What does your board usually look like when someone lands Cyclone against you?

Also, a lot of Gowen Rush files have Primrose which really decreases the effectiveness of cyclone. Maybe I just need to be less greedy with it, dunno. Unless I happen to have 5 SP on the turn after they play their second level 2, usually Primrose just comes down that turn. Also, against Gowen it actually feels like I need to attack their LP aggressively, because if I try to play board control with returns and so on, eventually they can just run me out of cards with their grimoires and creature advantage.

Got pretty lucky with some packs though, recycled some 4*s into a playset of Elite Fencers (although I only have 2 Sea Serpent), so I am expecting that alone to help out with that matchup a lot. Won't have time to test it out for a few days though.
  21. Eji1700

Elite fencer is a great card solo. Sea serpent just happens to require its help.

As for gowen if they're playing early Axe say hi with return. Returning any level 3 is basically not only SP efficient but free field control. After that they'll probably try to build up with a 2 of some sort who you can witch.

Hell witch, undine on spore, return will seriously screw a gowen start.
  22. Ilk1986

Ilk1986 Active Member

You can draw primrose out with a witch opening. Plus, if I have some level 2s and a couple of level 3s on the board and they have something like fencer+serpent against all of that, cyclone is just GG right there.

You don't have to wipe their board...just gain board advantage.
  23. banewlf

Heh, well apparently because of some Japanese tradition everyone got a free 110 gran. Pretty sweet.
  24. Ilk1986

Ilk1986 Active Member

Got a third salamander and a second firestorm wyvern out of it. Also got a witch.

So now I spam salys like crazy.
  25. garcia1000

I recycled two Alnas, because they actually sux. Then I did 300 gran of lotto so technically I didn't break my "save up gran for Set 6 EX" vow.

Useful results: 1x Return, 1x Sea Serpent
    28 other useless cards!

Also I switched to set 6 Falkow!

[​IMG]
  26. Eji1700

Heh. Yeah that was off a lotto pull. Pretty happy about that.
  27. garcia1000

Updated "List of want" for Set 6!

Rarity 1
    Enormous Frog x 3
    Sea Serpent x 2
    Lost Tome x 1

Rarity 2
    Mage Knight of Regus x 3
    Elite Fencer of Regus x 3
    Time Stop x 3
    Cyclone x 1
    Assassin x 1
    Teleport x 1

Rarity 3
    Rasam x 2

Rarity 4
    Diondora x 3
  28. banewlf

Elite Fencer is rarity 2
  29. garcia1000

Fixed!

Also I updated the guild so now it can have 12 members!
    Guild is still pretty cool guys, password chickens
  30. icewolf34

I lost a 5-game streak and TB for third Sorcerer Monk to a Lapierre file! :(:(:(

My deck is not well-equipped to battle slow guys anymore. Maybe I need to think about this.

My deck is:
    3x Spell Lancer
    3x Sea Hunter
    3x Elite Fencer
    2x Sorcerer Monk
    2x Mage Knight
    2x Witch
    2x Sea Serpent
    2x Sylph
    1x Undine

Flanking Attack, Meaning of Failure, Cyclone, Disjunction, Return.

I haven't actually had too much trouble with my doubles, I guess because my front line is usually pretty sturdy. Elite Fencer is even more tanky than he looks, because he makes fast guys into slow guys. He is really good against Gowen. I guess I should rethink my anti-Refess start though, maybe start with Sea Hunter or something? Not sure yet, but I really got my butt kicked without Rapier Fencer and Sorc combo in that game.
  31. garcia1000

Can't you elite fencer, sea serpent? And then fill out your front line

Maybe Huge Frog to engage badguys? Or Rasam, everyone loves Rasam
  32. banewlf

What is the name of the guild?
  33. garcia1000

Guild name: Pretty cool guys
  34. banewlf

Haha, in your post before this one I read that line as "The guild is still pretty cool, guys"
  35. Gavisi

Gavisi Active Member

Losing a game to a level 132 playing Falkow: no big deal, it was expected.

Losing a treasure battle for a 5* to a level 132 playing Falkow: ferdjnfiogasf
  36. icewolf34

Apparently garcia disregards my advice on packs over lotto because he didn't know that packs have 2 guaranteed 2*+ cards, sadgarcia.

Still thinking about my opening vs. Lapierre Refess, especially if they open with Novice Acolyte. Messing around with Sylph/Witch-Return seems like it leads to getting smacked by Lapierre/Charge Knight/Guardian. I also did a really dumb Iczer Attack into PoM SS though, so maybe if I didn't do that it would have been okay.

My deck has a pretty slow start now and usually skips one or two early turns, be nice to have some Owl Sage or something. Maybe I should put Sweeping Tidalwave back in, seems like overkill with Witch/Cyclone in the deck already though.
  37. Gavisi

Gavisi Active Member

Don't buy packs right now! (dramatic conclusion first)

I've bought a lot of Set 3/5/6 packs. What happens is that you get a solid collection of 1*s and 2*s, and very few 3*/4*/5*s. Problem is, most packs are two 2*s and three 1*s, so if you buy more packs looking for those rares, you're gonna get a lot of waste. Like, I only have one complete playset of a 3* from Set 6, but 19 complete playsets of 1*s.

Logress mentioned wanting to do gold packs in his State of Alteil post. From previous talks of gold packs, they would guarantee at least a 3* and have slightly higher rarity rates, but they would obviously cost more than normal packs. But even if they cost more, you're gonna get a more even spread of cards across each rarity, so actually it's probably cheaper in the long run to get gold packs. There's no set information on gold packs yet, so maybe they won't be like I'm describing them, but it's worth waiting to find out.
  38. icewolf34

Well, I guess for Falkow you really want some key 2*s, and I've pretty much given up on getting playsets of 3*s. Maybe if Gold Packs are somehow incredibly affordable or something...

Also depends on what you think of as "the long run", like if you are going to spend a total of 20000+ gran (either through buying or MM or whatever) before you quit then a good rarity spread is important. If you are going to spend like 5000 gran before you quit, then you probably just want playsets ASAP.

Speaking of 3*s, I saw someone playing a Black Tortoise / Ladol deck yesterday, that was pretty cool! I didn't think it could be done.
  39. banewlf

Interesting. How did it work? I happen to have 2 copies of Ladol. I couldn't figure out much of a use for him, though.
  40. icewolf34

TBH his deck would have folded pretty hard to a single Ball of Flame. It was like, Swallow Scout, Magic Scythe, Haste Soldier, Sorcerer Guard (these last two seem questionable). It did win the game I was watching!

If I had the cards, I would probably try some combination of: Teleport Soldier, Magic Scythe, Spell Lancer, maybe Wizard Soldier Apprentice and Strike Sorcerer. Basically you should only put cards in 1,2,3 and 7,8,9 and use Constellation Formation every turn. Even 30HP guys do okay in the front row if they also have +20 DEF. It looks like it would be a really fun deck to play, too bad it probably costs $500 to get these cards.
  41. garcia1000

sadgarcia

I mean would it kill them to put this information somewhere, or am I bad at reading
  42. Gavisi

Gavisi Active Member

I'm playing Mid-Lawtia with Inside. Inside is now my favorite card - Soul Bind (engage) Bog Wyvern, Veteran Swordswoman hits for 60, Priestess of Madness hits for 10, Inside has a feast. He screws up SS activations and denies the SP from a unit dying.

I have trouble with Lapierre and Falkow. But I'm thinking now that Falkow is the best sphere in the game. What does Fencer/Serpent/Diondora/Rasam/Return/other shenanigans lose to anyway?
  43. garcia1000

I am pretty sure the world's best deck for those with the cards are

Pullermia open
    Elite Fencer
    Serpent
    Rasam
    Diondora
    Time Stop
    Anttilla
  44. Eji1700

I've been playing a...well it plays somewhat like starter lawt with crest spy and reverent...backed up by inside basically since set 6 launched and yeah he's insanely amazing. He screws both big files and rushes if his skill hits and makes certain cards horribly risky to play. My only issue with him is that i don't have 3 of him, and i feel that he manages to not be broken because of the risks you have to take.

Fencer serpent loses to a lot. Its all about how you go after it. It's strongest against gowen rush. Inside can easily rape them. Rasam loses to what she's always lost to. Return is return. Its powerful and not changing so learn how to deal with it. Dio....... Dio is probably the only card in set 6 that i'm 100% certain needs a nerf. If you get her out with any field presence she MUST die or she will lock down your field. Her return mechanic is too easy for her to land and costs too little for her to do so. Inside needs to juggle hp to lock you down with his move but dio just throws up some tanks and if you're agi 2 or above you're fucked.

However some things that'll help with dio:
    Falk: Slyph/return/pinpoint.

Gowen:Grim her to dust. Save your ball and fire arrows for her. Revolver bladesman is also a great counter if you can make sure hes in the front row and she's either in the second or you grim out her middle row units. The range 2 pinpoint does enough damage to one shot her. Yuni also helps since you can drop your agi lower than hers and blow her away with someone like rifle knight. This of course works less if she has field support.

Lawt: to be honest i have no idea. Lawts my main file and i'll be damned if i know how to deal with this bitch. No pinpoint, no damage grims, not a big so she's easy to get back out....i dunno. Best bet seems to just not let her get set up but hell if i know how to do that. I can handle normal returns and whatnot but she just locks lawt out. The only real options are pure terror, warning knife if you have some 1 agi's on the field, flesh recycle to insides sweet prey if you have the range right, and possibly corruption.

Refress: Safrina + Charge knight. Or you can agi gamble.

She really bugs me because although she has counters the advantage she gives is just so damn insane and her setup is way to easy when you consider she works with shit like time stop.
  45. Gavisi

Gavisi Active Member

Not sure how Inside beats Fencer/Serpent. You can't get them to 20 HP if they Return your guys.

Here's what I see sometimes:

Catherina -> Meaning of Failure -> Elite Fencer -> Serpent

Even if MoF only hits 4, the guy still has 3 SP the turn after Serpent. And he gets 2 SP once Catherina dies, plus a SS. If Catherina doesn't die, then she can put defense on Serpent. Return reduces your field, then Serpent is killing two guys a turn. No idea how you catch up with that.

If they don't have Catherina they can open with Lost Tome, which isn't the same crazy SP start, but still plays pretty much the same.

Dio is crazy, yeah.
  46. Eji1700

The problem with, "How do i beat X open" is answer that in a way that makes sense to your deck.

Your open and SS along with grims are generally how you're going to get around that. Again i'll admit that lawt has a tougher time with some of these things.

My personal route right now is opening with an undead 30/30 since it's one of the few times the SS isn't overrated. I'd probably throw shade, attack, iczar, continue from there. Undead do wonders vs these units because killing them doesn't even phase them and then you get to buff other units on the field. This allows me a slightly longer time to safely start up, get my inside out and my sp up, and then manipulate snake boy into the 20 hp range so i can wipe him, his field presence, and the sp he banked.
  47. Gavisi

Gavisi Active Member

What if Hell Smoke is Returned? Yeah, Fencer and Serpent by themselves are manageable, I've beaten them before. It's when my creatures managing them are removed from the field that I have problems.

I can accept that Mid-Lawtia has a bad match-up against Falkow since my file needs lots of set up time and Return doesn't let me have that. But I really can't think of any file that can beat Falkow and also do decent against the rest of the meta. Maybe Command Dolls, but even then Return happens before any level boosts from Start/Auto skills. (I know Violet is permanent. Permanent boosts disappear when the unit dies though, and Serpent means something's gonna die. Also, you just Return Rose/Lily the turn Violet comes into play, then you can wail on her)
  48. icewolf34

No idea about Catherina -> MoF open, probably just a typical overpowered 5* card?

Are you saying that most decks can't beat Lost Tome -> MoF -> Elite Fencer ->Serpent, though? That would be pretty surprising.

Seems like even plain old Lapierre Refess is fine against that, your units are slow enough that Serpent won't hit on the first turn, and you'll have four guys on the field. Or Gowen can get 60 damage on the field and kill Elite Fencer on t4, then Fire Arrow it t5, or Falkow can just return it.

Haha, I'm playing very underpowered version of that Falk deck myself (2x Serpent, no Cath, no Lost Tome, no Dion? Fail.), so sometimes I can beat the meta Falk deck just by doing clever things with agility manipulation.

I really miss having Fencer/Sorc combo in the Lapierre matchup, though.

Oh yeah, some people splash Miracle Fruit to combo with 30/30 on Hellsmoke, seems pretty good.
  49. Gavisi

Gavisi Active Member

Serpent hitting Lapierre is a coin flip, he has 2 agility after Fencer's Vortex. He can't have 4 units on the field because you didn't kill his opening guy so he doesn't have the SP. He also doesn't have 4 units because you Returned one.

Dunno if Gowen can get 60 damage by that point, keep in mind Elite Fencer slows one of their guys and has 40 attack, she can kill Kurina/Monk before they get to act. Fire Arrow works if Gowen goes to level 6, not all of them do. Even if you get through Fencer, Serpent can still do damage by himself.

And here's the thing, we can try to come up with more ways to beat this combo, but it's 2 units. Only 2 units. You can still play Frog to combo with Serpent, you can play Diondora and return stuff, you can do lots of damage with Magic Greatsword, and you can finish with Bog Wyvern. Or Rasam or whatever.

Miracle Fruit seems like a huge gamble with all the -Max HP stuff these days. Maybe though.
  50. icewolf34

Oh, I mean the combo itself is great. I just don't think that Lost Tome -> MoF -> Fencer -> Sea Serpent is a good opening. Who knows, maybe I should try it (except with skip instead of Lost Tome...), but this is what I see happening in the meantime:

Gowen does like: Spores -> Dual-Axe-> Highlander or something, seems like Falkow is way behind at that point? Lapierre does like, Novice -> Lap -> Sunlit Knight, Falk is also pretty unhappy then. And after these units are on the board, they all attack two or three times before Sea Serpent goes.

At least for my deck, Giant Frog + Dion + nonsense is a way bigger problem than opposing Fencer + Serpent, even if they do a Cath opening.