Alteil online card game

Discussion in 'Now Playing' started by Fry, Nov 13, 2009.

1. Eji1700

Eji1700 Well-Known Member

How is the other guy in any way shape or form like girl druid?

His cost is totally free, he doesn't debuff, he can self buff, and in general fills the same role wyvwren is which is cheap, powerful, snowballing lawt sniper. He'll be grim bait or he'll get stronger and so far the decks i've made with him have been better off for it. I much prefer him to girl druid.
  2. Gavisi

Gavisi Active Member

Wyvern doesn't have to synergize with anything. Just play him like a normal level 3 and use his Action Skill twice. Depending on the target, -30 attack is almost like engaging one of their guys, ala Frog - but every time you use the Skill, Wyvern gets +20 attack for the rest of the game. Just two uses, and he's 50 attack at 4 agility, good stuff. If you're playing against Lawtia, maybe you have to be careful about using the action skill and giving your opponent SP, but against Lawtia Wyvern is automatically a powerful guy.

Folfenac and Girl Druid have the same stats, but radically different abilities. They serve totally different roles. It's totally reasonable for Folfenac to kill stuff with his action skill without any setup, and then he gives one of your guys a permanent attack+20. If he needs more attack to get the kill, play Soul Pact or Annarose or Cemetery Rats. Pair him with a Hell Smoke, he can give Smoke permanent attack boosts, and Hell Smoke can give him attack boosts to make the killing job easier. I'm gonna pair him with Igina myself. Anyway, he's not a weaker Girl Druid.
  3. Eji1700

This is a great idea. I'm hesitant to use undead becuase there's so many undead counters now without any way for an undead to respond. Im hoping that eventually they'll have enough undead counters that undead can get something to help mitigate the fact that they damn near auto lose to things like sergis and debuffs.
  4. icewolf34

icewolf34 Well-Known Member

Garcia, what do you do about Cyclone?

I didn't have the foresight to save any gran for this, so might be grinding for a bit (unless I just give in and spend even more dollars?)
  5. LoneKnight

LoneKnight Well-Known Member

Igina decks are already "meh" with Crest Paladin who gives his buff reliably, as a start skill, and doesn't have, you know, 20 hp (also, I'd like to see her snowball with that survivability).

I mean, I'm getting the EX packs regardless, and will give Folf a try, but she looks just bad no matter how I look at her.
  6. Eji1700

I just hit an agi 5 140 attack folf last game. Fun unit. Snow balls fast if you get the agi up, and its fun watching people waste fire arrows on a lvl 2.
  7. garcia1000

garcia1000 World Champion Staff Member

My falkow deck is still under development (I threw out haste soldier, now my start is EX Wiz, Owl Sage, L3, Fovneota), but for sure EX Wiz and Foveteta are in it.

Don't listen to people who say "but Fonveta is worthless if you have no other units!" That's like song sorc and enchanter, both of which are super units. I mean compare him to enchanter.
  8. Eji1700

I actually saw someone doing the combo that i figured you'd be doing. Combo with target units(namely merm soldier) and then snipe the hell out of your opponents field.
  9. Gavisi

Gavisi Active Member

I'm not saying Folfenac is amazing, I agree that 20 HP is a huge liability. I just don't think he's a weaker Girl Druid. In an Igina deck, he doesn't have to replace Crest Paladin, you can use both of them. He gets the Annarose buff and you can use Soul pact if he needs more attack. If something happens to Igina, move him behind Heavy Shield and give the attack buffs to Halberd Soldier. Or Hell Smoke, I ran Hell Smoke in my deck.

I will definitely get Falkow, definitely will not get Refess (requires either True Retear playset for Sunlight to be good, or Raste for Sun Tyrant to be good). Not sure on the other two, though I really want Belltia. He fits very well into my Gowen Tanks deck (which used to be my own original deck, but is now becoming more and more a copy of Luckysvn777's deck, heh)
  10. icewolf34

Paying rent is interfering with Alteil costs. Damn those extortionate landlords! How will I afford my Alteil bill?

MTCosta, how is the new guild treating you? It'd be nice to have some place to talk about the game with reasonable people, and sometimes I feel bad spamming Sirlin chat.
  11. LoneKnight

I'm just afraid I won't be able to get to the computer when the tourney is on... I feel like I could grind out at least some place near the top if I got the time.
  12. LoneKnight

well, I got 15 stars... and 2 disconnects. Also, I'd swear they got their clocks set 1 hour off or something.
  13. Gavisi

Gavisi Active Member

Order of the Black Knights is a pretty dead message board. It was fun to read over threads from the past and see people's perspectives on the release of Set 2 or whatever, but yeah, not much going on right now. I've heard Mortem Masters is pretty active, so I might jump ship.

I copied worthing's Eternal Morning and played that a bunch tonight. It's a really fun deck, too bad it costs arms and legs. My record was 13-2, one loss against a big deck (seems like I have to run Rapidly Flying Apprentice SS to have any chance in those matches). The other loss was when I tried Eternal Night and my first match was against Wasseir SS (return target level 2. There goes my night!)
  14. icewolf34

I think these guys have a habit of announcing things really late, because then you can't save up gran from MM and so on to buy their promotions. Doesn't make sense for tournaments though! I am super busy this weekend, if I had known about this tournament I probably would have scheduled differently. This is probably the best event they've had yet! :(
  15. garcia1000

What decks were people using? I'll play the Sunday one.

Also, do you guys think 5-0 would be enough for win% prize, or should I go for 6-0?
  16. LoneKnight

I'd say go for 6 at least. My blatantly unbased guess is that the first one will be someone with 8 wins though.

Also, I'm running 2 RFAs against bigs. It backfired once when I used Miracle fruit to save my units from a cyclone though, so... Also also, I'm going to try for a spy deck to get faster wins today for some star farmin. Yesterday I had played an EN with Esk and Annarose instead of EX Riza, not to mention 3 copies of aegis instead of one. I could finally use Dagon and Fenrir too. I feel like it's just so much better it's not even funny...
  17. Gavisi

Gavisi Active Member

I made 2nd place for day 1 and 8th place for day 2 (despite not playing at all day 2). Dunno if I wanna bother staying up late tonight to maybe get third place. 100 gran and 10 point cards is really not that much.

I'm running RFA too, there's really no other way for a rush to beat bigs. Most popular decks are Mirelia and bigs.

Win% will probably need at least a 6-0, maybe 7-0. Hopefully you don't hit something soulcrushing like your EN vs. Wasseir SS (ugh...)
  18. garcia1000

LoneKnight how do you get ~2000 RP playing EX Riza EN? That seems pretty amazing.
  19. Eji1700

While i have no idea what his file is i'd have to say that people seriously underestimate how great EX riza is. If you have answers for cyclone it's a serious file.
  20. LoneKnight

SHEER GRIT AND DETERMINATION.

EN itself is pretty underestimated. Fierte SS+succubus/shade(I use 3 shades, it saved my ass so many times) locks down big files pretty often. Of course if I had Dagon+Esk it'd be even better. With Leo/Lilith, frontline tanks get bypassed so I'm not that bad against EX Lap decks either. Gowen... sometimes I get messed up by those, but it's sporadic. Only falkow mass return files really give me a problem, though miracle fruits help a bit. Also, damn disconnects. If I didn't get so many disconnects I'd be above 2000 by now.
  21. pascal

pascal Banned

Very new to this thing, still learning about this game. This is a great thing that my friend recommended to me, I never getting involved with it but soon will be Thanks! Smile
  22. Ilk1986

Ilk1986 Active Member

Bleh...third in the sealed because some dipstick tied me at the last second. Retarded tie breaking system, and might've been able to get first. Ah well.

Can't believe all the bitching and moaning about balance though. Elite Fencer + Return + 30/30 != Super Turbo 2 Akuma.
  23. LoneKnight

One year bump!

The 3rd anniversary+ takeover by Gamepot means PROMOTIONS!

An unbelievable number too. Just to list a few

- 4 sets of 3* dual sphere cards from set 9 (set 9 isn't even out yet)
    - 500 gran
    - pre-made decks that are actually good and contain EX cards in the shop... for 500 gran during the promotional period
    - a number of misdc prizes (promo cards, backgrounds and pointcards) earned by playing against japanese players and GMs who in turn earn their promos by playing at Alteil US.
    - Hyper rarity up lotty (no 1*) for 20 gran.

It seems like we are getting everything good from the JP version for the shop as well.

So if you quit I think this is a good opportunity to try the game again.
  24. icewolf34

LoneKnight, why are you trying to get me back into this game :(
  25. LoneKnight

Cause it's good!

No, seriously. Everything aside from their pricing/card acquisition is good (imo). And they are working on those, as you can see.
  26. Gavisi

Gavisi Active Member

Mildly exciting! Maybe I'll play a bit on the 25th.
  27. LoneKnight

You should probably do your reg stuffs today though. If you want all the goodies I mean.
  28. garcia1000

Did I get any PMs?
  29. LoneKnight

Nope.

Also, I didn't find where you can change the e-mail so if you do, you'll recieve notification stuffs. I'm sorry for that I'll go looking again...
  30. Eji1700

The balance still bugs me on a personal level, but it's better than it was. I might look into playing again.
  31. AlbeyAmakiir

AlbeyAmakiir Active Member

I'd maybe get back into it if it wasn't "First make your decision, then rollrollrollroll loads of dice to see what happens". I don't like randomness that you can neither respond to, nor control, and there's far too much here. Far too many of my games have hinged on "will my monster attack the character I want them to attack", "will my creature who has the same speed as another get to attack first" and so on.

It removes draws which make it slightly less random, but they've replaced it with far more randomness, and only randomness that happens after your decisions.
  32. Gavisi

Gavisi Active Member

The randomness happens before your decisions. Some bad luck falls your way on turn 7, then you react to it on turn 8. Tons of people do this and maintain 70% or higher win ratios over thousands of games, which would be hard to do if the game was entirely about rolling dice.
  33. garcia1000

I don't enjoy the Alteil community.
  34. Gavisi

Gavisi Active Member

That might be the game's biggest flaw
  35. garcia1000

I really believe that you get the community you deserve! This is the natural justice of online communities.
  36. Eji1700

Well hate it or love it if you're ever going to play again you might want to merge your account and get the serial now. Total they're giving 1 Ex card, 12 new cards, 10 point cards, and 500 gran. Worth looking into.
  37. Ilk1986

Ilk1986 Active Member

No, not coming back. Period. The more cards that are out there, the more polarized the game is. The community is full of fucking scrubs that wouldn't know what makes a good game if it slapped them in the face, and playing to win is seen as the most terrible thing you can possibly do there. Their metrics are atrocious, their balancing is terrible, the fact that you have to have 25 cards and 5 SSs cover every single situation in the game (you can't) speaks for itself...

Aside from the good underlying grid system and possibly agility/targeting mechanics (debatable), does this game have any redeeming gameplay qualities?
  38. LoneKnight

turns taken at same time
    revive mechanic
    soul cards/SS mechanic
    and I kinda like spheres instead of lands
    Does 1 card/turn count? I like that too.

Hell, if I'd bring up anything I don't like about it, it would be the targeting mechanics (range as a stat is too weak, not that it's random). Yeah, it could use a little bit more card space (30-35 in file, 5 SS should do).

Ignoring the community is easy and there's a pretty good number of competitive files. They got 2 new GMs so maybe we'll get more frequent changes? I sure hope so.
  39. Eji1700

Hell i'll go so far to say that compared to other card games where not being able to deal with everything is standard, the balance in that respect isn't that bad.

My biggest issue is that things like return, cyclone, tidal wave, shade, and a few other cards massively warp the game.
  40. Ilk1986

Ilk1986 Active Member

You can't ignore the community, because what the community bitches about gets nerfed. Sure, don't contribute to the discussion. But if a card gets a 20 page whinefest on it, it's going to get nerfed, regardless of whether or not good players deal with it without blinking an eye (that's what makes them--you know--good players?).

It's a scrub or camper (remember that RP skillwielder fiasco?) filled shitfest, and the G.M. team could certainly improve in its data analysis skills. If I got the Alteil web dev job a while back, I probably would have completely overhauled how things worked in that office.
  41. Eji1700

Games to not cater just to the top competitive players.

And even most comp players eventually want some variety.
  42. Ilk1986

Ilk1986 Active Member

As someone who spent very little in comparison to most spenders (at least for the RP I got), I can tell you that I didn't give a damn about variety because I didn't really have enough cards for variety.

All I cared was about winning. Winning the most matches possible, meaning I had to have 25 and 5 SSs cards that could handle the most other 25 cards and 5 SSs people could come up with.

As for not "catering" to just top competitive players, who's saying anything about catering? Balance to the top competitive players. If you want a fun deck for variety, don't bitch when it loses.

The GMs seem to think that by giving every file crap matchups that it'll bring balance. Nah, it'll just make more of the game decided by your file as opposed to your play, meaning so many games are just sheer wastes of time.
  43. Eji1700

There's still top decks. When were you last on? Hell it's mostly the same stuff.

And why can't people who want to play fun stuff voice their opinion? People's definition of fun varies. If they want to cater to them, then they will.
  44. Ilk1986

Ilk1986 Active Member

Let me put this into perspective for you:

Imagine if Starcraft was balanced around the "players who want to have fun" who want to go RAWR SMASH WITH 200/200 3/3 BATTLECRUISERS complaining that protoss warping in upgraded templars into their mineral lines were giving them a bad day (oh...wait...templars lost their upgrade, lawlz...). Fine, let's change that to mutas. You get the idea.

The fun gets ruined when you cater to bad players. Unfortunately, both the community end of that equation in the terms of the scrubs and the fact that the balance team is composed of mediocre players at best (aside from imortal, but even he lost his touch since the elite fencer nerf) means that both sides of the balance equation stink.

The fact that they need two massive erratas (the Falkow one with elite fencer/serpent/bog nerf, and then the Gowen one, and more on the way inevitably) show just how fallible they are.

That doesn't make for good, competitive gameplay. And a game in which winning means nothing, and 2200 RP is meaningless just has no meaning for me.
  45. CWheezy

CWheezy Well-Known Member

Designers don't have to be good players to be good at balance
  46. LoneKnight

I don't really get it. What top tier did they nerf exactly that hurt you so much? EXPrim that dominated for I don't even know how long? DEFS that is still a top tier file (especially the sea monster variant)?

Two massive erratas (I'll be honest, I don't even remember the gowen one) shows that they didn't get it right the first time, which considering that they have like, what, 10 testers at most, is not that surprising.

I also find it funny that first you mention how they nerf top tier decks and then consider having two erratas an evidence of their fallibility. It was already good don't change it, but you had to change it so it was actually bad!

Finally, the most requested card for nerf is still return and they still hadn't nerfed it. The nerf to Urgrant/Bringer is minuscule at best. This makes your whole 200/200 battlecruisers thing a bit of an exaggeration.
  47. Margalis

Margalis Banned

Sirlin.net is full of people who have an ex-girlfriend relationship with various games.

You can take each instance seriously but after a while you have to realize that they say much more about the people than the games themselves. Never have I seen a community of people who spent so much time playing games they claim to loathe.

It seems like if you don't like a game you would just stop playing it. But Sirlin.net is full of people who wildly swing between being enamored with a game and bingeing on it to being utterly repulsed by it.

It's pretty weird really.
  48. Ilk1986

Ilk1986 Active Member

Nerf on RFA. Nerf on Jack Wisnton when I was planning on building a Rivera file. Nerf on Bringer sucks vs. Urgrant (after one slaying strike you're in trouble again, though I suppose Jack Winston start+rapid on Bringer...), petrification got nerfed just because they wanted to put emphasis on the fact that Gowen got nerf raped (despite petrisong being used next to never)...

Basically, it was a case of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".
  49. LoneKnight

How was the RFA nerf not justified? Jack Winston+Rivera is still a top gowen file (he lost ONE RNG). Bringer suddenly doesn't always kill everything so he sucks (not to mention that the Urgrant player can very easily just play fencer against bringer anyway)?

I'll give you petrification though. That was silly.
  50. Ilk1986

Ilk1986 Active Member

RFA wasn't justified by the fact that if you hit the opponent's base 5+ units with it, you're still going to win the game in all likelihood. The nerf sucks when you have to fruit level 3s or 4s. Aka there was next to no change against what it was good against, only a nerf against what it was already less than desirable against.

If the nerf was "if the unit is base level 5 or higher, you only get 1 SP next turn", that would have been a much better change.