Alteil online card game

Discussion in 'Now Playing' started by Fry, Nov 13, 2009.

1. Gavisi

Gavisi Active Member

They're shutting the game down in a few weeks. In the mean time, they released Set 11 and made it free (everything else in the game still costs money though, lame). I logged on to look through the cards but I can't bring myself to care enough to make a deck or play again.

2. LoneKnight

LoneKnight Well-Known Member

I think the new cards are pretty good. Also, if that's what's keeping you
    Show Spoiler
    If things go right the game won't be over yet.

3. Gavisi

Gavisi Active Member

Oh it's more that I just genuinely lost interest a while ago and I was thinking that a free set of new cards might get be interested again, but...eh. Also I have been playing Sword Girls recently so that covers my CCG "itch" so to speak.

4. garcia1000

garcia1000 World Champion Staff Member

I, for one, will surely mourn the closure of such a game.

5. LoneKnight

... come now swordgirls over Alteil? Yeah, it's been in a bit of a runt for a while now but ... swordgirls?

And yeah, if it closed down for good that would be pretty terrible. Although, serves gamepot right for running it into the ground.

6. Turbo164

Turbo164 Well-Known Member

iirc that was the one with the ads with "She's actually in our game, milord!" to mock the other companies that were putting random lingerie models in their ads? If so, sorry to see it go :(

7. Gavisi

Gavisi Active Member

Hey I never thought I'd play a game for the art either!

edit: I also just find the game refreshingly different from other CCGs. Instead of a mana resource you use to pay for stuff, every card has a Size, and the total Size of all cards on your field cannot exceed 10. Sure maybe it makes the game "simpler" than other CCGs, but I like not having to run mana-generating cards solely to make my other cards work or to enable multiple colors/spheres or whatever, and it does mean that there is fighting action on the very first turn. It's also much easier to run cards from multiple factions, and so far that has not led to any overdominating decks or whatever.

It has a host of other factors that screw up the competition and in any case it's nowhere near "Super Well-Designed CCG of the Year", but I have found it fun so hey.

also I really really like the art

8. LoneKnight

I guess I can understand that, different tastes and all.

And yes, they made the "She's actually in our game, milord!" ad.

9. icewolf34

icewolf34 Well-Known Member

I actually thought Alteil was a very fun and well-designed game, maybe the only digital card game I've seen that fully took advantage of being a digital game. So I'm sad to see it go. It's too damn bad they insisted on their crazy ripoff business model...

10. Gon

Gon Active Member

You were there for the glory days. It's since dropped off with most of the veterans leaving.

11. garcia1000

Well, I was the most glorious of them all, so when I left that was pretty clearly the sign that it was going to die imo

zem likes this.
  12. PonyPrincess

PonyPrincess Member

the fuck? How can they close it down, there's gotta be people who've spent thousands on this game.

I know I spent way too much a couple years ago and was REALLY bummed out that I didn't have anywhere NEAR the amount of cards to make a strong enough deck........... Ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff

13. Eji1700

Eji1700 Well-Known Member

Well it seems alteil has risen from the grave. I got an email explaining it was back and the set 11 gold box is free right now, so go buy 20 of them and see if you want to come back.

Edit-
    After a brief look around it seems like they're trying to make things better. Of course they're reviving a dead game so shit has to be crazy awesome right now anyways, but at the very least you now get a free lotto pull every day after playing a battle(instead of memory match grinding) and an EX card lottery(for 100 each...which is bad, but not too bad).

Also no more penalties to gran per week for losing apparently so you can actually play fun stuff and not just grind out wins with whatever is currently stomping.

14. LoneKnight

They are trying pretty hard. It's not exactly up to speed yet, but the intent is there. I think they are moving too slow and they are not brave enough with the shop, but things are still shaping up. I just hope the management will be brave enough for groundbreaking changes.

15. garcia1000

"Everything is up for grabs, including business model and card acquisition"

???

16. LoneKnight

They mean they can more or less do whatever the hell they want with the game.

BTW, still got your acc, want dem set 11 cards? :D

17. garcia1000

I don't think I can handle Alteil at this point in my life :eek:

Gon likes this.
  18. Gon

Gon Active Member

I remember when you grinded crest spy for an entire 24 hours (almost).

19. garcia1000

I had more time back then and also crest spy is an amazing troll deck

20. Eji1700

I won with sins vs sea serpent. REPENT SINNERS.

21. LoneKnight

As in with an assassin deck or with the assassin SS?

22. Eji1700

Assassin deck. I wanted to test the new lawt/gowen merc/sin guy. He's maybe awful or good or something but i clearly don't have what i need to support it. Was mostly stomped until i got 75 def on a folf and using someone else managed to get his attack to run away into the "oh god he's killing everything stage" after my opponent had run out of SS's and returns/waves.

23. Gon

Gon Active Member

That guy was playing an underdog deck

24. Eji1700

It's ok. It was a real deck.

25. Fry

Fry Well-Known Member

Ugh. Took my first foray back into the arena, had to fight some bullshit unit that kills and revives a friendly creature every turn. Was using it on a "Close: deal 30 damage to two enemy units, then put a closed enemy in the cemetary" guy. When I still managed to almost bash through all of his copies of the important units, he then started kill+reviving a guy with "Close: put two of your units from the cemetary back into your file". arrrrrrrgh

For reference, I was playing set 11 refess, which is mostly big dumb guys that are hard to kill. But his cheatiness was getting around my hard-to-killness.

26. Eji1700

Meh. I have no earthly idea what the current meta is(nor do many others). It seems like theres an absolutely absurd amount of BS you can run, and of course all the classic BS still works(hit a big lawt deck that stalled with moon knight girl, then SS saced her, then went crazy sp drain with merc dragons and night wing wyvrens).

At the very least multisphere/big seems to be a must. I'm not sure rush is viable with SOOOO many easy ways to just flood the field with sp, but then again my only win since returning involves a lvl 3/2 rush so meh.

27. LoneKnight

Yeeeah, stuff is kinda tilted towards bigger decks right now, but rushes are still plenty viable as long as you run enough anti-big units and SS (sin and fierte SS most obviously). And it involves Shades.

The reviving girl is kinda meh from my experience, buuuuut I may be wrong on that. Shvara (the close 30 to to guy) is expensive as hell and can be played around. The lawt/reff Annarose on the other hand is bullshit. Pure and undiluted.

There really is no meta ATM so whatever goes goes. I'm experimenting with new starters and the reff one can actually put up quite a fight against constructed decks even.

28. Fry

Fry Well-Known Member

Perfect Augment Narevez + Song for a Hero is a pretty amusing troll, at least vs NPCs.

29. PonyPrincess

PonyPrincess Member

I'm pretty sure next week they're doing some promo if you play 1 game (at least 10 turns) in the big boy arena 5 out of 7 days then you get to keep your set 11 cards and they get their recycle value back. SO worst case you just recycle ALL the set11 cards and get a TON of free gran (like it has to be at least 3k gran worth right?).

Which is great for me since i'm REFUSING to spend money on the current ripoff setup but wouldn't mind recycling a bunch to try to get lucky to get some cool cards to make a real file. oh just realized 3k gran is basically ~$30 which means literally nothing in this game.

edit: the promotion "

1st copy -- Own any number of the 'free' version of the card. You all should have this for every card by now. If not, you have until tomorrow night to get them from the shop!
    2nd copy -- Play ten or more battles that go ten turns or more between Monday the 12th and Sunday the 18th.
    3rd copy -- Play ten or more battles that go ten turns or more between Monday the 19th and Sunday the 25th.
    "

30. Fry

Fry Well-Known Member

Wait, they're going to take away the set 11 cards? That sucks. :(

31. PonyPrincess

PonyPrincess Member

well if you already got the free cards then no matter what you get 1 copy of each card. if you play 10 battles 12th - 18th you get 2nd copy of each card. if you play 10 battles 19th - 25th you get all 3 copies of each card.

but the new copies you get you can RECYCLE, so basically free gran (even if you don't play you already have 1 copy of each card from set 11.)

32. Fry

Fry Well-Known Member

Can someone look at the card list for the Holiday lotto/pack and tell me if that is a good deal or not?

33. PonyPrincess

PonyPrincess Member

I'm not 100% sure how lotto works (are 1*'s more likely to happen or do you just get them the most often since there's more of them?) but it probably depends on if you specifically need some of the cards from it. The only one I noticed specifically that I'd want is Eskatia (5* turns to night) for my nighttime file. But there's at least 30 cards in the lotto and 30gran a pull, so to pull 3 would be pretty expensive.

Edit:Just looked, again have no idea how lotto works. But if you want to make that super rare refess file it's got 5* miffyre and 5* alira

Also I made an alt so I could take advantage of the promotion and tried to make a deck w/ just gowen starter + set 11. Ughhh, i can't imagine playing 20 games it's just so BORING. I think i'llj ust play on my main (where I spent maybe ~$100 2yrs ago) and hope I get lucky when I recycle everything otherwise probably done with the game.

34. LoneKnight

Lotto is about NEVER a good deal.

It's a lottery. Seasonal lottery is even more expensive, but the cardpool IS limited so... it's slightly better than the regular lotto for pinpointing. If you have a lot of spare gran you could risk it but it's not recommended.

To elaborate, only spend on high rarity lotto and set card packs (ex, premades). I do not know if this is as good as high rarity. It probably isn't.

Gowen IS the "play units, press attack". I think maybe playing Falkow would be more exciting?

35. Romdeau

Romdeau Member

Hi guys,

Pretty reasonable to remain skeptical (especially considering the current meta of lul set 11), but I'd suggest keeping an eye on Alteil and see what Logress+team does with it. Who knows, maybe they'll actually deliever in a couple of months on real change.

36. PonyPrincess

PonyPrincess Member

Well I wouldn't get your hopes up, was in chat when a GM was there and he linked to some blog post how in regards to card pricing they had to 100%follow what the Japanese version does (which apparently is still extremely popular) even though the US version has 50people online at PEAK times.

37. Romdeau

Romdeau Member

What was the name of the staff member? Do you still have that link?

This sounds like something they would say pre-July 2012

38. Eji1700

I still find it super hard to generate any excitement as someone who wants to do stuff like low end lawt/sin rush stuff/level 3 standard rush files. Control/big/multisphere seems to have only gotten more dominating, and while I do believe there's something in my stupid collection that i want to run somewhere, I really don't feel like fighting the uphill battle to run it when 3 returns or a standard ramp SS setup nearly autoworks. I'm not asking them to bend over backwards for me, but I've felt like of the file types i've truly enjoyed, they've only been remotely relevant maybe once or twice(and one of the relied on abusing the hell out of undead 30/30's into inside who's just a bastard. Late game was the 2lp def booster on a EX zug which is also considered a dick move.)

I'm more than willing to admit i'm just fucking wrong since I know i'm easily at the lower end of the skill curve, but sometimes I feel like for all that using an EX sin card to ramp up another to field wipe is a niffty gimmick, it just does not come close to generating the field or SP advantage of various SS to big files, or sometimes even a basic return spam generates. I mean I know i can run firete, but I'd really like to find SOMETHING else that's not basically "Not going big? Better run this. And if you are going big, just sp ramp until this hits and THEN drop into spheres and angry angry cards."

I mean honestly reading this now I can't help but think how much I suck at this, but I know a huge part of this is because I play what I like and try to maximize it's effectiveness and maybe I just need to admit the meta will not favor me.

39. PonyPrincess

PonyPrincess Member

"
    This site is currently not available..."

lovely.

40. LoneKnight

What kind of deck are you using? I ran assassins for a while, maybe we could work on it a bit. I'm confident they are an at least 18-1900 RP file if done correctly.

41. Fry

Fry Well-Known Member

Site is back up.

Does anyone have a script for Mirage Mastering?

42. LoneKnight

I actually do, but it's old. I need to do an improved version someday...

https://rapidshare.com/files/3382556200/alteil4.exe;

... actually I'll probably do it tonight.

Quick instructions: open MM, select advanced->master (or whatever your highest available is) and fullscreen it. Then run the script and switch back to the alteil window. If it doesn't start the game, you may need to close any extra bars your browser has for it to work or fiddle with the window position or something.

A minor hiccup is that the cards loading screws the script over. So it'll need to run a few times before it works. Alternatively, if you have a lot of cards you can pre-load them by checking them in the shops recycle menu.

Also, to milk it most, you can also do a daily lotto along with 30 gran MM, provided you buy the lotto before finishing MM. So you can pause at the last two cards (by pressing Alt+S), go to the shop, free daily, then go back and finish for 30 gran+card/day.

43. Fry

Fry Well-Known Member

That's a weird trick, surprised they don't ban people for that (doing both lotto and MM)

Just had someone leave a game on turn 1, levelled up four times. Lolwut?

44. LoneKnight

People do that as a form of charity. I know Icyman does that at least.

I don't think anyone has got a ban yet for hacking. They are pretty lax on it (understandable imo, that extra 5 gran/day isn't worth checking the database for abusers).

45. Fry

Fry Well-Known Member

Holy crap, that script is impressive! *slow clap*

46. Eji1700

Here's what I was messing around with after my fluke win-
    Units
    Mulna- She's like the core of the deck. The +40 to another sin is huge and the ability to just flat out cem send a closed card(like off a SS/grim hit) IF you've got the SP is huge. I feel the problem is, ironically, that I have trouble finding lawt grims that feasibly allow that setup, and likewise with SS's. Still I know I haven't looked through all the new stuff.

Crest Spy- Because if she gets through, you usually win, and with mulna on the field she isn't a terrible attacker.

LeBeau- Him + mulna is a pretty evil combo vs even higher level cards. That's 80 dmg on an AGI 5, and if you've got the SP you can slash it or cem send anything you kill.

Folfenac- Ranged snowballing goodness. Mostly as a fall back when I run out of Mulna. Still i can see him being a weak link.

Francis- Not terrible for a lvl 4. Gets around DEF tanks and allows LP manipulation, however again I haven't found any really neat tricks with that yet.

Fog of death- Not a sin, but nice synergy with them. Almost a lvl 2 boss monster since late game she can splash a TON of damage to other cards.

Cem rats- I run 1 and an exchange of souls. The dmg/agi boost tends to be nice and it synergizes well with mulna.

Other sins I have but haven't been using-
    Rutina- I keep forgetting to maybe try and make her work, but i've always found her super risky.

Novice sin- I've actually run her in old sin decks. Again mostly because with mulna on the field she just ruins lives at agi 4.

Moon Sin- He was in the older sin deck I made. Felt too conditional at the time.

Sin team(2 of them)- The lockdown, in theory, is awesome, but you really need to buff them in some way to actually keep them alive, and I never found a combo that worked reliably.

Afel- He's always struck me as mildly gimmicky, but I have considered swapping him in and adding counterattack as well.

Heierrtat Assassin- He seems super awful. Poison strikes me as an almost never important effect, his stats are bleh, the two groups he works with are bleh(rather merc nation is good, but it almost seems like why run lawt?), and anything that helps him get poison out seems bleh.

Grims and SS's- everything is up in the air. SS's are two asuet, invis druid, alphonce, anchor. I haven't found much lawt grim support that strikes me as great. Already mentioned the exchange of souls trick. I've usually been unhappy with creeping hands. I run the soul bind for druid of course. Soul pact is a must for the SP gen, and that's about it.

So in short it's trash, but I'm just so tired to trying to make it not trash. Especially when some of the biggest problems I hit are still return and sweeping tidal wave. Still i'm all for suggestions.

47. Gon

Gon Active Member

Using 3 shades will help you out a lot. As will starting out with free revivers like Hellsmoke or the MD -augment. Return and tidal aren't actually problems for lawtia if you alternate between level 3 units and shade on key turns. Lebeau eats up wimpy falkow units for breakfast. Gowen and Refess should probably be your toughest matchups.

48. Eji1700

Vs a gowen falk right now that basically is just bouncing what I do with sp advantage into Shin + fire ball. I've never found shades to stop a well run falk file from returns.

49. Gon

Gon Active Member

You can get ahead by 2-3 SP if you use your shades on good turns. If you get ahead on SP, and use free revive units early, then it's pretty easy to beat falkow files. If that isn't happening for you, you must be playing level 2 units too early of have some shitty souls or something. Lawtia when played correctly is super strong verse falkow.

50. Eji1700

Thats my problem. I've made good lawt files. I'd like to make a good sin file, and I just don't think it's viable due to it's weaknesses. I'm bored playing the same 5 or 6 types of files, and want to do something new. The majority of my problem comes from a lack of skill, but there's very little denying that there's certain sweet spots in the meta. The idea that I MUST play free revives to compete vs returns is a boring one, and for the record one that I don't think is true.