Awesome fun moments

Discussion in 'Puzzle-Strike: Bag of Chips' started by matt.lashof, Jan 23, 2012.

1. matt.lashof

matt.lashof Active Member

I was playing a few rounds with Perse today, and I had this turn at the end of one game, where I drew my entire bag, wrecked puzzlebot's next hand, mix-mastered his 4-gem, and saved myself from death (I started this turn at 10 pile):

matt.lashof starts their turn and antes a 1-gem
    matt.lashof plays Axe Kick
    matt.lashof refills their bag
    matt.lashof draws 2 chips
    matt.lashof plays It's Combo Time
    matt.lashof puts 1-gem in their gempile
    matt.lashof draws 4 chips
    matt.lashof plays Gem Essence
    matt.lashof trashes a 2-gem for Gem Essence
    matt.lashof plays Combo Practice
    -- Puzzlebot discards Wound due to Combo Practice
    -- Puzzlebot discards Wound due to Combo Practice
    matt.lashof plays Combo Practice
    -- Puzzlebot discards 1-gem due to Combo Practice
    -- Puzzlebot discards 1-gem due to Combo Practice
    matt.lashof plays Mix-Master
    Puzzlebot splits 4-gem into 4 1-Gems with Mix-Master
    matt.lashof combines 1-gem and 1-gem into a 2-gem
    matt.lashof plays Money for Nothing
    - matt.lashof puts a 2-gem into their hand from Money for Nothing
    matt.lashof plays Gem Essence
    matt.lashof trashes a 2-gem for Gem Essence
    matt.lashof plays Chips for Free
    matt.lashof trashes Wound for Chips For Free
    matt.lashof gains 1-gem
    matt.lashof plays Gems to Gemonade
    matt.lashof plays Always in Control
    matt.lashof plays Pleasure & Pain
    -- Puzzlebot puts a Wound in their bag
    matt.lashof refills their bag
    matt.lashof draws 1 chip
    matt.lashof plays Crash Gem
    matt.lashof crashes 2-gem
    matt.lashof sends 2 at Puzzlebot
    Puzzlebot reacts to the sent gems with Crash Gem
    Puzzlebot countercrashes 1-gem
    Puzzlebot receives 1 1-Gem to their gempile
    matt.lashof moves to the Buy phase with 1 gem power
  2. Aesa

Aesa Well-Known Member

I had a funny moment yesterday where vivafringe MC'd me and said "how do you have 2 DCG's but I can only get a 2 buy"

CrystalChaos played MP including some discard leaving jelyman with 21 gems in his pile and only a single One of Each in his hand, ended his turn with 26 money (!!!) and bought 19 puzzle chips in 1 turn. Next turn, jelyman draws a single chip from his 17 chip bag with the OoE and plays Deathstrike Dragon to win the game.
    Fourth, zem, Archon Shiva and 6 others like this.
  3. Swiffle

Swiffle Active Member

whoa, thats a serious raaaaaaaaaaaaaaage moment there
  4. Aesa

Aesa Well-Known Member

matt, why did you only draw 1 chip with P&P?
  5. rabid_schnauzer

rabid_schnauzer Well-Known Member

I just used PPK, Training Day and Sig Move to pull the "no more turns" MC lockdown against X1372(?) right after his Setsuki had built a complete deck-cycling engine but he misplayed turn and ended at a pile height of 6.

He even saw it coming, just misplayed to avoid it.
  6. matt.lashof

matt.lashof Active Member

I had already drawn all my other chips, that 1 chip was the only 1 left. :)
    Aesa likes this.
  7. x1372

x1372 Active Member

I had a game where both my opponent and I had created extreme engines, and it looked like the game was going to go on forever. I ultimately used riskonade multiple times and opted NOT to doublecrash when my gem pile consisted of two 4-gems and I had the arrow. The next turn culminated in me crashing a 4-gem, and then x-copy doublecrashing a 4-1 and a 4-2 at an opponent with 0 gems in his pile.

And yeah, rabid managed to MC lock me pretty hilariously there. Of course I realized I had multiple ways to avoid it and indecisively chose neither. There's just something SAD though about watching your opponent force you to doubletake punch punch kick to put it back in the bank for him to buy with your money, and buy a DCG in the same buy.
  8. rabid_schnauzer

Just won an absurd match against Dr. Dookums. I used early Trap to get down to a 6 chip deck as Troq, with Iron Defense as one of the chips. Didn't notice I'd seceded all the roundhouses to his Sets so we now both cycle every turn. I trapped combine early so he can't rush as fast as he needs to while I can play my single combine like every turn. Between Button Mashing and PPK, we both crash like 7-10 at each other every turn and it turns into crazy race of who can get the 3rd [4] in their pile on their turn - because just crashing 8 uncounterable won't do anything. I gotta scale up my gems via Giant Growth and he tries lategame risky move for more ammo. Between panic time and his Double Crashes he gets me to 19 pile at one point and my only fear is that I might have to bloat my deck with more of the single crashes from the half dozen iron defense plays to survive the turn. Eventually I notice a window where all six of his DcGs are in discard, so I take the chance and giant growth my [4] into pile and crash 9 to make him ante to 15, just barely pushing him further than he can recover on his turn.
    Plum likes this.
  9. rabid_schnauzer

Just had another crazy Troq vs Sets matchup against Fry.

It took multiple turns of me crashing 9-10 uncounterable gems plus dashing strike before he flubbed the cycling and couldn't recover from a 22 pile height in danger time. Check it out on his saved profile.
  10. rabid_schnauzer

Just had both a 3-way FFA and later a 1-on-1 where I managed to use Improv reaction to play Mistress's Command out of turn for the win. That crash you were gonna follow up Burning Vigor with...go ahead and trash it.
  11. rabid_schnauzer

Just played a 3-player FFA as Quince against dual Args, with Just a Scracth, Knockdown, Color Panic and PyP in the bank.

I won by buying all 5 Self Improvements.
  12. Delha

Delha Active Member

Meant to post about this here originally, but wasn't able to find the thread so I put it in the Setsuki thread instead...

13. rabid_schnauzer

14. rabid_schnauzer

15. Delha

Delha Active Member

16. MarvinPA

MarvinPA Member

Kai- and Turbo164 like this.
  17. ApolloAndy

ApolloAndy Well-Known Member

That was rather funny. Improv. is great like that.
  18. EricF

EricF Well-Known Member

I actually finally got to use Improv as a react - dashing strike me with all your crash gems in the discard? Please have this double crash as a thank-you gift. Too bad you were at 8 height...
  19. Eji1700

Eji1700 Well-Known Member

20. rabid_schnauzer

21. Turbo164

Turbo164 Well-Known Member

Super secret tech there! :D

But um...I noticed step 75-83, Panda played two combines without discarding anything for Protective Ward...that's not how Stunlock works.
  22. Eji1700

Eji1700 Well-Known Member

This is a very old replay. Protective ward was still in it's "don't play more than one brown" phase I believe. The replay is accurate, chip descriptions are not. This is why i mentioned chips for free, because it was only cost 3 at the time.
  23. skies

skies Active Member

Turbo164 likes this.
  24. rabid_schnauzer

25. ApolloAndy

^Your link is borked.
  26. Inkstud

Inkstud Well-Known Member

Yuck. Certain character chips really seem to bring out the worst in people
  27. Turbo164

Well, he *was* hacking after all...

:rolleyes:

Cringed at the early crashes, but hard to feel any sympathy once he starts typing. There's a difference between newbs and noobs.
  28. rabid_schnauzer

Just had a brutal Midori Dragon Form Mirror match vs jwlk, where I pulled a narrow win when he failed to pull the longshot improv recovery and the new prompt asked him which chip to play first: rigorous training or wound?
    Turbo164 and jwlk like this.
  29. jwlk

jwlk Member

Was pretty funny. I recently also played a game with 4 Zanes (puzzle bots unfortunately). It was hilarious.

Anyone up for trying it sometime?
    Turbo164 likes this.
  30. rabid_schnauzer

I've had some hilarity in multiplayer puzzlebot by mixing multiple Zanes and Glorias, for mutliple arrows and extra chip drawing for everyone.
    Turbo164 and jwlk like this.
  31. jwlk

jwlk Member

^^ Thats genius. Will try that next.
  32. rabid_schnauzer

Just got this Improvisation:

Which do you wish to play first
    [LIVING ON THE EDGE] or [THE HAMMER]

:D
  33. ApolloAndy

Yeah, but if you need to LotE, Hammer isn't going to help you much...unless you have a DCG or two in hand. Funny though.
  34. rabid_schnauzer

That's why you play them in the other order, as the Hammer guarantees that you will be able to LotE for a 4-6 chip draw and 2 - 4 :psblack:s, and as Improv has already drawn 2 chips from bag, really as long as you have enough :psorb:s in deck, and that's golden. I did have the :psorb:s, hence the :D emoticon.
    Plum likes this.
  35. dustman

dustman Member

My best moment was in live play where I got a hand containing The hammer, x-copy, double crash gem and a normal crash gem. It was a good turn :)
  36. Turbo164

Earlier this week I had a crazy set of Geiger vs Lum. He kept getting amazing jackpots, like hitting my only crash and only combine, or hitting the only two non-trashed gems in a 17 chip deck.

The final game the bank was very defensive, so I ended up econ'ing and reached The Hammer first, with 3 DCG (he managed to Jackpot himself a DCG of his own...). Even with Secret Move and Future Sight I had difficulty lining them up, so I ended up buying a second. Finally got a 15crash, and used the 17buy to get a third hammer, cause why not :p 25 chip deck at this point.

The Awesome Fun moment was when he realized he didn't have enough purples/forks to survive, so he threw a Jackpot for the hell of it...and hit two Hammers. :cgeiger:
    Inkstud likes this.
  37. haslo

haslo Member

[​IMG]

Some of the still-floating gems aren't counted in the 18 in Valerie's pile :p
  38. Star Slayer

Star Slayer Well-Known Member

My record was 36 gems in my opponent's pile at the start of his action phase. Multiple X-Copies, The Hammer and two DCGs were involved. X-Copy on The Hammer is awesome. :cool:
  39. rabid_schnauzer

Just had a crazy Onimaru Mirror game where I responded to an opponent's Wartime Tatctics (reveal Sig Move for Dashing Strike) with an Improv reaction into X-Copy (Signature Move) to play Double Slash and Wartime Tactics (reveal Axe Kick for Improv) into Improv.
  40. zem

zem Super Moderator Staff Member

I haven't played a lot of puzzle strike so this stuff is probably all pretty tame compared to what most of you have seen, but I had some fun games with lum today. in this one I played gem essence, hundred-fist frenzy, and three pick your poisons in one turn, then bought the other two PYPs over the next two turns, then drew a hand with all five of them, played all of them with HFF still in play, then (after HFF discarded because he had no chips to play actions with) managed to play all five PYPs again, killing him.
  41. PGrande

PGrande New Member

I've just played against Persephone bot and she commanded me to: use a master puzzler with almost all chips in bank. Among those chips was X-Copy, which she comanded me to copy another master puzzler I had in hand, so she played for me 3 master puzzler in one turn. She ended up suiciding and making me have a bag of around 50 chips:

[​IMG]

http://postimage.org/image/doqmf7dfb/
  42. Star Slayer

zem likes this.
  43. ApolloAndy

44. Star Slayer

Those super lucky (or unlucky, depending on the point of view) moments can be really annoying. When you do everything right and then lose because the very last chip in your bag is your crash or your opponent pulls something off like that Improv into Combine and DCG... that can be a bit frustrating. On the other hand, the possibility of those lucky saves keeps you playing until the very last moment.

In your case, I wonder if you shouldn't have played Punch Punch Kick into two Crashes the turn before you lost though. Well, obviously in hindsight, but I think I would have done it anyway.
  45. Caphriel

Caphriel Well-Known Member

He actually improved his only crash out of an 8 or 9 chip bag to save himself once before that, too.

Since we're talking about improvisation, here's my submission. Lum vs. Lum (because evizaer and I didn't want to risk an Arg mirror by picking random), and Improvisation ended the game a bit prematurely. We were laughing about it for a few minutes afterwards. It's no Improv-into-Hammer-and-DCG, but it was still funny.
  46. Inkstud

Inkstud Well-Known Member

Turbo164, zem and Vauceene like this.
  47. Turbo164

Lol, that was friggin epic. But you should have used Stolen Purples the final turn to get your Potato back! :czane:
    Inkstud likes this.
  48. Bucky

Bucky Well-Known Member

Wartime Tactics Master Puzzler as The Hammer, Master Puzzler for just Crash and Double Crash.
    zem, Turbo164, Plum and 1 other person like this.
  49. Dogmantra

Dogmantra Well-Known Member

Playing Lum, after a match with Roundhouse/One of Each spam in order to draw my entire deck each turn, the bank was rerandomed and DUN DUN DUUUUUN there was no Roundhouse, One of Each, PPK or even OTP + Draw Three!

I was forced to improvise, so I did, with Custom Combo and lots of Chips For Frees. Started my turn on 11 with a few 1 gems, five Chips for Frees and a Living in the Fridge. Luckily, I drew my Custom Combo off LotE. I then proceed to draw my entire deck with chips for free, upgrading 1 gems into 2 gems (bearing in mind I had only a single crash gem and no combines), reshuffling, upgrading THOSE 2 gems into Combines, reshuffling again and using them to send a 3 gem, winning the game.
    Felt good.
    DrFaustus and Turbo164 like this.
  50. Star Slayer

Felt Lum. :clum:
    Dogmantra likes this.