Awesomenauts

Discussion in 'Now Playing' started by Domon, May 2, 2012.

1. Domon

Domon Member

Just got the title on xbla. It's like a fusion between a platform and a dota-like moba, with obvious cues from monday night combat. It has everything: fast, tactical combat where timing and positioning makes a difference, minions, a jungle with creeps, hiding areas, turrets, two lanes, 3 maps, six customizable classes... I can't really comment the balance, but it already is lotsa fun. Anyone playing it?
  2. Zejety

Zejety Well-Known Member

I don't have an X Box, but I have been looking forward to persuate a buddy to get this since I have seen the awesome trailer:
  3. Domon

Domon Member

on a PS3 with a psn+ subscription the game is free. just download it! :)
  4. Zejety

Zejety Well-Known Member

Oh I didn't know it was available on the PS3. Unfortunately, I do not own one of those either. ><
  5. Fry

Fry Well-Known Member

Ooh, a vomit shark, that's pretty awesome... *facepalm*
  6. Zejety

Zejety Well-Known Member

I think that's a chameleon using its tongue. :p
  7. -Y-

-Y- Well-Known Member

Am I the only one annoyed by that trailer? It felt a bit bland (Awesomenauts, Awesomenauts, does whatever awesomenaut can, can he swing from a web, no he can't he's a pig... wrong tune).
  8. Zejety

Zejety Well-Known Member

That's what I like about it. It has that generic 90s super hero cartoon vibe.
  9. link6616

link6616 Well-Known Member

Ohh, I can actually try this then!

EDIT:
    So i tried it...

Is it a requirement that all dota like games feel incredibly sloppy/slow to control/move in. I really like this genre conceptually, but since one of them feel particularly tight or just too slow
    I really can't get into them.
    Targie likes this.
  10. Domon

Domon Member

is this really a slow game? matches end in 10-15 minutes, gang-up point are frantic and dangerous...
  11. Zejety

Zejety Well-Known Member

Bump for PC release.
    Because I do not own an XBox or PS3 I've only picked it up now and I had a lot of fun so far!

The nauts feeld balanced at my skill level. On the (XBox) forums people apparently agree that Voltar is outshined by Yuri but the most one-sided games I've seen so far were won by early Voltar pushes.
  12. Warskull

Warskull Active Member

I think a big thing is the game cuts out the dead periods in DotA. DotA/LoL have a long laning phase that is pretty slow. They then have a slow end game. Awesomenauts feels like you can threaten turrets and get stuff done from level 1. The game moves from all turrets down to game over fairly quickly too.

That might be a console thing. Movement feels fairly good on a keyboard with a mouse to aim your shots. You apparently can't stand still and aim very well on console either.
    link6616 likes this.
  13. Plumlum

Plumlum Active Member

i played leon and i use his tongue to grab someone. First it looks like it misses, but then he gets teleported to where I am, already running away. This is terrible netcode which is inexcusable. This genre has stupid amount of learning curve. I played 7 games so far and I don't know what most of the characters do still, so it is impossible to have fun. I have to UNLOCK CHARACTERS BY PLAYING.

I can't even see this game on its good merits if there are any because the terrible terrible things it does cockblock me. Bad game, and 7 games in no redeemable qualities.
  14. Lemmingrad

Lemmingrad Well-Known Member

So played both the ps3 and pc (friend gifted me this before knowing I had the psn version)

I haven't felt the same frustration as you, but then again, I found I liked playing Voltar so once he was unlocked, unlocking other characters didn't matter to me. Now unlocking all the other upgrades on the otherhand, I feel it.

Oddly enough, like the console version better cause I'm more focused on platforming than run and shooting, although being able to run one way and shoot the other is nice.
  15. -Y-

-Y- Well-Known Member

Bought it recently on a sale, can't wait to try it. What are some tips/tricks recommendation for new players?
  16. Zejety

Zejety Well-Known Member

This guide helped me grasp the basics when I started out:
    http://www.xblafans.com/awesomenauts-fully-awesome-guide-47919.html
    It's based on the console version which means that most builds are completely outdated but the general information and ideas about character roles should be fine.

My personal tip would be: Keep collecting solar/cash. With all the PvP action going on it is easy to forget that every droid is worth 5 solar and lots of the stuff is just lying around.

Froggy G is a good beginner character, IMO.
    -Y- likes this.
  17. Lemmingrad

I dunno about Froggy G being a good beginner character. Probably had to do with still learning the game, but my friend and I were under the first impression he was "an extreme carry," (his words, I'm not too moba savvy) very weak early game, monsterously strong endgame.
  18. Zejety

Zejety Well-Known Member

When I started out, I did quite well with him simply by maxing Splash stun time (+stun duration, -cooldown). To be fair, I might have done so well (even as a beginner) because that builds seems to have been a bit overpowered, seeing how its cost was increased in a recent patch...
    That being said, I just think he's just a pretty straightforward character, that can hardly be played "wrong". He has the potential to carry, a stun, 1-2 escape moves and can also be build quite durable if focussing on Tornado.
  19. -Y-

-Y- Well-Known Member

I've played a couple of games and I must say, apart from the unlock crap and the netcode being bad, I love this game. This is what all LPG (Lane Pusher Games) should strive for.
  20. Plumlum

Plumlum Active Member

I join a game and it puts me in an already made game that I am losing. If the game doesn't take itself seriously enough to create a new game for me, it's impossible for me to like the game at all. I actively wish this game's failure.
  21. -Y-

-Y- Well-Known Member

I usually let the nice style and mechanics excuse a few network issues. I do see how this is frustrating, but wishing failure for the few things is really overblowing it.
  22. Zejety

Zejety Well-Known Member

I'm actually glad that the matchmaking replaces dropped players. As of the latest patch, you lose proportionally less rating if you joined a game late. I also rather play a lost game for five minutes than sitting in a queue. But I can see how that's a matter of opinion.
    After that first game, just select Rematch and you will not have the problem again.
  23. Plumlum

Plumlum Active Member

I don't think it is overblowing it. Those design choices feel actually insulting. That's what I mean by not taking itself seriously.
    Maybe some background will help me explain? I think it is almost impossible for me to enjoy a game unless I'm working at the game. I'm naturally joining competitive communities for games. So I try out a game called Awesomenauts. I can't learn as much as I want because of unlockable content. My teamates and characters can change midgame, and my first game is a game already in progress. Yes, I actually feel insulted when I play this game.
  24. -Y-

-Y- Well-Known Member

You need to take a deep breath, relax and enjoy the sheer wackiness of it. Playing to win always is detrimental.

If your team-mates and characters are constantly changing that means your are also being forced to improvise and get to focus on the one constant in the entire match - yourself. And yeah, joining a game that is in progress and your side is losing heavily, without the option to switch chars is a bad design decision, but nothing too catastrophically bad.

That said, to have a LPG game where dropped players are replaced by bots/players on the fly without significant impact to overall game progress is amazing. Lot's of little things about Awesomenauts is brilliantly done. I agree not having all upgrades unlocked is another bad choice on their part (probably influenced by other F2P games). But other than that there is a lot of great thought and concern put into the game. If you do think it's not good, fine, but don't overblow it saying it's insulting. To me a DotA game is insulting. And it's yet to reach that level of unoriginality.
  25. Plumlum

Plumlum Active Member

Wackiness? I have played games where I throw limbs at my enemies to kill them. I've seen two television series that included aliens and time-travel. Wackiness stopped being a factor in my - and 100% of people I know - life in year 2000. It is not something to be praised.

I don't "play to win" (as condescending as that sounds) all the time. Many speedruns I do have arbitrary goals, like 'complete pokemon yellow as quickly as possible using a dugtrio' or 'buster only mmx'. My mentality is 100% legitimate and saying I need to take a deep breath and enjoy some non-gameplay aspect of the game is insulting.

If a game that does bad things does well, it will influence the genre with those bad things. Therefore, it is completely reasonable to wish failure on a game that does bad things. Especially when this game doesn't respect me as a player.
    Polari likes this.
  26. -Y-

-Y- Well-Known Member

Oh, I mistook your complaint for something else. I thought "doesn't take itself seriously" as "too wacky", not too insulting. Still it seems you are missing the fun element of the game. There isn't much Mini-Maxing, other than learning how to platform well and getting upgrades in right order.

True, but if a game does a lot of good things and a few bad things, it will influence the genre to do both good and bad, and as long as good outweighs the bad it's a positive move. Besides no one can stop/force /influence anyone from making shit games. Even if people like certain shitty games, people will grow tired of them at some point and ask for something else.

So, according to you, I should wish horrible, horrible failure upon DotA2. Because it does bad things.
  27. Plumlum

Plumlum Active Member

Yes. Dota2 does bad things. I think people should try it, then not give Valve the money they expect.

btw sorry if I was condescending.
  28. Domon

Domon Member

Wackiness? the game has some shortcomings (all improving with new patches, like the join in progress issues) but it's a deadly serious zoning/footsies brawler with lots of strategies to throw around and brilliant characters. i know unlocks aren't the best mechanics, but you will have unlocked everything in 20-so hours of play and after that you still have hours to spend learning builds, tactics and matchups before you can call yourself a good player.
  29. -Y-

-Y- Well-Known Member

Lately there have been insane number of disconnects. It's kinda lika magicka really. It's a great but veeeery buggy game (9/10 games were random disconnects). I'm not sure I'd recommend it to anyone. Their netcode is atrocious, and it causes numerous DCs which then downgrade you in rank. Which is stupid.These guys haven't thought the netcode things through.

But characters, setting, abilities, items - everything else is pretty much flawless. My advice is to practice against bots since it can raise your levels.
  30. Eji1700

Eji1700 Well-Known Member

Hows the grind?
  31. -Y-

-Y- Well-Known Member

Non terrible. You can grind it in SP and levels are linear so it's all cool. I'm 26 hrs in, average player and I got like 42 levels.
  32. Lemmingrad

You also get bonuses for local splitscreening or playing with your buddy, so it helps speed it up.
  33. Zejety

Zejety Well-Known Member

I unlocked everything after half a week of extensive play most of it on my own in match making.

I kind of enjoy prestiging though. :p
  34. Domon

Domon Member

you get bonuses for using a random char, too. if you don't presige, you can expect to unlock almost everything in about 25h of play and everything under 40. you shouldn't be anything near good at that mark.
  35. -Y-

-Y- Well-Known Member

btw what's prestige?
  36. Zejety

Zejety Well-Known Member

It's a thingy first done by some first person shooter (Call of Duty?).
    It boils down to this: After reaching max level/unlocking everything, you get the option to prestige.
    This gives you a fancy icon and resets your level to 1 (yay!). You keep your access to all heroes but have to unlock all items again (not sure but I think a recent patch made it so that you do not have to unlock general iteems again, e.g. Piggy Bank).

Objectively, this is probably a horrible mechanic but it is 100% voluntary and not connected to leader boards in any way.
    Personally, I enjoy unlocking stuff in Awesomenauts, even if I already did it once.^^ Yes it's unreasonable but it is how it is. *shrug*
  37. Lemmingrad

So I got Awesomenauts working on my mac, and have been playing rather seriously. Raelynn is my new main.

Also shame Skolldir doesn't really become viable until he unlocks his last throw upgrade.
  38. -Y-

-Y- Well-Known Member

Yup, oily Skolldir is the only Skolldir. I think Leon, Clunk, Froggy are most starter friendly heroes. I love taking leon with crit sword and just making opponents whine about "luck more".

Nice. In case you guys wanna play my name is YYYYY. Rae is great, she can really tear people to shreds with fully upgraded Time rift (slow+damage). I usually take height with it, but duration is pimp as well.
  39. Lemmingrad

Yeah, seeing what people are complaining about when she can practically defend the core by herself. Managed to win long games holding the final line while a teammate inches their way to the enemy's.

Also despite what guides say, I actually do better with lag with her (as in, everything moves in bullet time.)
  40. -Y-

-Y- Well-Known Member

Yeah, sometimes it can work wonders to lag, although I have no idea where lag is comming from. I've got 150 ms ping to East cost and in Awesomenauts I get like 999 all the goddamn time. I only finish 3/10 games (with either win or lose). Compared to 60ping in LoL, it's a disaster.
  41. Lemmingrad

Never had lag that bad so far, although I did have a game once where all my shots literally didn't hit the ai bot.
  42. -Y-

-Y- Well-Known Member

In hindsight, this and the lousy netcode they can't or won't fix is really an issue. I just can't play a game where 60-90% of all games end with me DC and getting down ranked, so I constantly play with worst players, with greater pings. I really enjoy this game for all the cool choices it made. But DCs coupled with toxic community, lousy matchmaking and match system, really sour the game. LoL sucks gameplay wise, but its connectivity is godlike (compared to Awesomenauts).

I don't wish them failure, I wish them goodbye. And good riddance to that annoying forum of theirs.
  43. Domon

Domon Member

did you check the "play with only people from my region" option? i sometimes get 400+ ping people or lag bug, but it happens in about one game every ten or so.
  44. Eji1700

Finally have a copy. Came out as part of the most recent humble bundle with a few other games which i'm mostly happy with so far. Worth getting.
  45. Zejety

Zejety Well-Known Member

Do we have a Steam thread on here, by the way? I'd love to play with some you guys sometime.
    My steam account is zejety and I'm up for Awesomenauts and Monaco matches in the evening (GMT+2).
  46. -Y-

-Y- Well-Known Member

I'd love to play but currently I'm in UK and net is horrible at my hotel.
  47. Swiffle

Swiffle Active Member

Picked this game up a month ago, didnt put a lot of time into it. Moderately fun game. Hated the matchmaking, the grind, the peer to peer(host disconnecting etc). Joining matches in progress, even when playing on an arranged team was probably the worst though.
  48. -Y-

-Y- Well-Known Member

To fix most lag problems you need to open a fuckton of ports.
  49. Eji1700

This basically. It's an INSANELY good start to a game(oh i hate the spawn mini game) but there's a lot of stupid bullshit holding it back. I'm still going to be playing because it's casual fun(as soon as i grind all the shit i need) but it's a shame this couldn't be great. How's the balance?
  50. Zejety

Zejety Well-Known Member

Balance feels rather good to me but I do not play at a competitive level.
    It's probably not perfect but i've seen good players dominate with all characters equally.

I rarely have problems with lag (sometimes I see other players lag which is annoying tbh, but this happens in 1 game out of 10). I've stopped caring about divisions and leaderboards and stopped minding joining games in progress and the problems that come with it. playing it casually (and still to win) I actually prefer the short queue times and lack of problems with leavers.