Counter chars

Discussion in 'Puzzle-Strike: Bag of Chips' started by ApolloAndy, Sep 15, 2010.

1. ApolloAndy

ApolloAndy Well-Known Member

So I've been working on a lot of individual match ups recently and it got my gears cranking about which chars are the best at facing a particular char.

In the rulebook, the "serious" game rules are - P1 chooses a char, then P2 chooses a counter char. Random bank.

So for each of the 10 chars, which do you think is the best counter pick for a random bank?

-Against Sets, the best counter is probably Arg.
    -Against Lum, I've been having decent success (at least 50%, which better than other chars vs. Lum) with Degrey. Caraigger ripped into me with Arg v. Lum.

What about the other 8 chars?
    -Against Degrey, I have a feeling Val is a good counter pick, but I haven't had time to work on it.
    -Against Rook, I would think Degrey would be decent since he fends off too much big rocking with pile bunker, but is he best?
    -Against Midori, I would also think Degrey works because of all the 2 gems Midori can generate. On the other hand, Degrey has trouble with pile control early, so a midori with a combine and DF could create some major havoc.
  2. hitogoroshi

hitogoroshi Member

I agree that Arg is the best counter to Sets and Lum - he's the quintesential anti-engine character. Also agree that Degrey is probably best against Rook.

Against Argagarg, I'd say probably Midori. Train wounds into 2's, and has dragon form to punish him if he's slow on pile control.

Against Valerie, my instinct is Lum. She's good at keeping her gempile small by constantly crashing but has no inherent anti-engine abilities and tends not to have as good of pile control because her gempile is naturually lower than most - which sets lum up for the early LotE > combine > combine > combine > crash.

Against Degrey, I'd actually say Jania. DeGrey is most powerful in a strong red bank, but Jania is stronger still, I feel. So a bank that hurts Jania would also seem to be one that hurts Degrey. She can also spite-buy wounds to screw with Troublesome Rhetoric and then burn them.
  3. Beikoku Taichou

Beikoku Taichou Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure the "serious" game rules recommend double blind character selection. Sirlin hates "P2 picks counter character" strategies.

Edit: nevermind, I just reread the rules.... Strange... that seems so anti-Sirlin to recommend counter character choosing.
  4. Sirlin

Sirlin Steward of the Realm Staff Member

It's too many words to explain double blind in a game where there's only one physical set of a given character's chips. If the game had 4 copies of Setsuki, etc, then it would have said double blind. If it's an online game with no such limitation, it should be double blind (or "quadruple blind" for 4p, hehe).
  5. ApolloAndy

In both the tournament formats so far, you have the choice to switch characters, so I think it's an interesting question even if the first round is double-blind.
  6. ApolloAndy

So who is the best counter for Arg? Especially Arg with RA? I'm trying to work Midori and Valerie against him, since he has weak pile control overall and weak money, but sometimes he is just annoying as all get out.
  7. Sotek

Sotek Super Moderator Staff Member

I think degrey is a good response? if the pool has some arrow-reds, keep pilebunker and chain into it to counter-red and stay frosty with NML. otherwise trash pilebunker along with troublesome rhetoric.