Even Shorter Notice Tournament-Sunday 7 GMT

Discussion in 'Puzzle-Strike: Bag of Chips' started by CrystalChaos, Dec 2, 2011.

1. CrystalChaos

CrystalChaos Moderator Staff Member

Everyone is welcome to join (even if you're not experienced)!

7 PM GMT
    http://www.worldtimebuddy.com/meeti...81,3451190,0&h=5368361&sts=22049760&sln=11-12

Double elimination best of 3.

All chips (base, upgrade, and expansion) and characters will be available.

Double blind and random bank at the start of each match.

Counterpicks are round loser may swap character, swap one chip (not one that's already been swapped out), or randomize bank.

Seedings will be randomly determined.

I might do cross brackets if there it takes an extremely long time (unlikely with Panic Time and not too many people).

Players:
    1.CrystalChaos
    2.Turgid
    3.vivafringe
    4.Mad King
    5.Aesa
    6.Sotek?
    7.Thelo
    8.Centimetro?
    9.Boo
    10.GloriousGloria
    11.Scarbo
    12.Atma
    13.MarvinPA 14.Bucky
  2. CrystalChaos

3. Turgid

Turgid Member

I'm in.
  4. vivafringe

vivafringe Moderator Staff Member

I will play!
  5. jelyman

jelyman Active Member

Ugh!...again on Sunday. Oh wells you can only organize it when you are available. I can only potentially do things if on saturdays.
  6. CrystalChaos

I was going to do it on Saturday, but I heard that Aphotix was running some Yomi thing then and didn't want to conflict.
  7. jelyman

jelyman Active Member

Psh Aphotix, he is only inviting a very select few to his event so yeah not really excited on that front either. At least that's what I gathered from a pho in chat yesterday.
    cpat likes this.
  8. CrystalChaos

I mean people might want to watch or something, although I guess they could do it while playing. Another reason I didn't have it on Saturday is that I didn't want to give only around 36 hours notice.
  9. jelyman

jelyman Active Member

yeah dont get me wrong, i understand why you are doing it on sunday. i just have wanted to do a ps event for like 4-6 months but there hasnt been one that ive been able to make yet. cross my fingers for the next.

my luck it will be on a saturday but then i will have some appointment on that weekend, lol.
  10. Mad King

Mad King Active Member

If I am free I will make it.
  11. Aesa

Aesa Well-Known Member

How long will this last? Actually, on second thought, I'll probably get owned real quick. Sign me up.

EDIT: I will have to leave for about ~30 mins to an hour at 7:00 CST if that situation arises, hope it's not too much of an issue.
  12. Sotek

Sotek Super Moderator Staff Member

jelyman, you could try organizing an event. Then it would be at the time you wanted it to be!

I don't want to commit to signing up but I want to attend if I am not busy.
  13. Thelo

Thelo Administrator Staff Member

I'll be there.

Just one note though: when you sign up for a tourney like this, please make sure you can actually attend the whole time, and not depend on getting eliminated early. It happens pretty often with online tournies that someone enters with only two hours free, then gets, say, to losers finals or grand finals, then is forced to concede because they didn't actually have the time to stay.

It's a pretty lame situation when it happens, so make sure you don't accidentally cause it. ;)
  14. Aesa

Aesa Well-Known Member

I have quite a bit of time (6 hours until I have to take a break, then a couple more before I need to sleep) but I have no idea how long these things usually go for, as I've played in 12+ hour MTG tournaments. I'm hoping that's enough? Lemee know otherwise.

Thanks for your concerns Thelo =)
  15. Thelo

Thelo Administrator Staff Member

Okay, then 6 hours is easily plenty, especially with that number of players.
  16. Aesa

Aesa Well-Known Member

Cool. Thanks, I've never done one of these so I wasn't sure.
  17. Centimetro

Centimetro Member

Cool, so no extended sets for the semi finals and finals this time? If so I think that's a positive change, the last tourney I played in the semi finals especially felt needlessly long

I'll try to make it but not positive I'll be able to
  18. Centimetro

Centimetro Member

I have two more people who'd like to play, their names on the online server are "Boo" and "GloriousGloria"
  19. CrystalChaos

All matches will be best of 3.
  20. Atma

Atma Active Member

Turns out I can make it after all. Sign me up?
  21. MarvinPA

MarvinPA Member

I am bad at PS but I will sign up anyway!
  22. rabid_schnauzer

rabid_schnauzer Well-Known Member

And this is precisely why I'm not signing up for this one.
  23. Bucky

Bucky Well-Known Member

I think I will join the tournament this time.
  24. CrystalChaos

Results:

Round 1
    Thelo (Gwen L, Quince 2 WW) 2 - 1 Centimetro (Argagarg 2 WL, Vendetta L)
    CrystalChaos (Setsuki) 2-0 Atma (Setsuki, Argagarg)
    vivafringe (Lum) 2-1 Aesa (Vendetta)
    Mad King (Gloria) 2-0 GloriousGloria (Gloria, Jaina)
    Bucky (Menelker WLW) 2-1 MarvinPA (Vendetta L, Rook 2 WL)
    Winners' Second Round
    Vivafringe (Troq, Lum) 2-1 Scarbo (Gloria)
    Turgid (Gwen) 2-1 Mad King (Gloria, Argagarg)
    Bucky (Onimaru) 2-0 Boo (Menelker)
    CrystalChaos (Setsuki) 2 - 0 Thelo (Quince)
    Winners' Third Round
    vivafringe (Lum) 2-0 CrystalChaos (Setsuki)
    Turgid (Vendetta L Rook 2 WW) 2-1 Bucky (Onimaru WLL)
    Winners' Finals
    Turgid (Jaina) 2-1 vivafringe (Lum)
    Losers' First Round
    Centimetro (Arg) 2-0 Atma (Gloria, Jaina)
    Losers' Second Round
    Mad King: Aesa (Jaina) 2-0 Mad King (Persephone, Gloria)
    GloriousGloria (Sets) 2-1 Scarbo (Quince, Zane)
    Centimetro (Vendetta) 2-0 Boo (Menelker)
    Thelo (Quince) 2 - 1 MarvinPA (Rook)
    Losers' Third Round
    Thelo (Quince) 2 - 0 GloriousGloria (Setsuki)
    Centimetro (Argagarg) 2-1 Aesa (Argagarg)
    Losers' Fourth Round
    CrystalChaos (Persephone 2 WL, Gloria W) 2-1 Centimetro (Argagarg LWL)
    Bucky (Menelker) 2 - 0 Thelo (Quince)
    Losers' Fifth Round
    Bucky (Menelker WL Argagarg W) 2-1 CrystalChaos (Setsuki LWL)
    Losers' Finals
    vivafringe (Lum) 2-0 Bucky (Menelker, Onimaru)
    Finals
    Turgid (Troq) 2-0 vivafringe (Troq)
  25. vivafringe

vivafringe Moderator Staff Member

BTW results are wrong for viva aesa game. I won 2-1.
  26. CrystalChaos

Thanks, edited.
  27. CrystalChaos

Turgid is the champion!
  28. CrystalChaos

Thanks to all the players and spectators for making this a successful tournament.
  29. Turgid

Turgid Member

Thanks. I must say I felt like I got very lucky. I made some serious mistakes in my first two matches, which easily could have killed me. On top of that, I felt that in each of my matches I just barely squeaked by with the win. The semifinals exemplified this, as anyone who was watching that last game of Jaina vs vivafringe's Lum can attest.

The other semifinal was similarly lucky for vivafringe, I think. Please don't take offense vivafringe, but I was surprised you beat Bucky who IMO was the better player. I was sweating over facing Bucky again in the finals, and it was another stroke of good fortune for me that you knocked him out.

In light of this, I think perhaps in future we should go back to semifinals/finals being best of 5. I certainly don't feel like this win reflects my true level of skill, and more games might have proven this out. On the other hand, this tournament had enough people to last about 5 hours, and nobody really wants to sit around spectating (or playing) for an extra hour. I don't know the solution.

As far as strategy, the only insight I have is that Rook is not as good as one might think against Onimaru. Stone wall is tricky to use effectively against him, and Strength of Earth can be deadly (in a bad way) when you're getting pressure from Double Slash. (Although I did end up winning those games.) Also, I found it hard to rush down Lum with Jaina, as he just kept pulling out Living on the Edge and staving me off just enough...until I barely managed to put him over the edge even after he drew most of his deck.

Perhaps others can offer more.
  30. Bucky

Bucky Well-Known Member

From my perspective, Vivafringe appeared to be outplaying me. I don't think a best-of-5 semifinal would have ended any differently.
  31. Turgid

Turgid Member

Could be. My earlier matches against each of you were very tough...my previous match against him pretty much came down to luck of the draw on one chip. Now that you mention it maybe it was just our match that would have changed. Had it been best of 5 he could have taken it. In any case, I will take what luck I can get.
  32. Aesa

Aesa Well-Known Member

I had no idea how to deal with viva's HFF/Dashing Strike Lum. Seems like you HAVE to get rid of HFF by skipping a turn, but he can keep pressure up and replay it along with sending you gems with Dashing Strike in the same turn. I was Vendetta, FWIW although I feel that combo is brutal as anyone- DS/HFF is a pretty fast rushdown and transitions extremely strongly into lategame.

Regarding what Turgid said about Bo3 vs Bo5, it's an interesting perspective- however, do you really want the best player to win every time? I enjoy the luck element, since obviously the best players will still be the most consistent (coming from a fan of Hold'em and MTG) and there's still room to improve for everyone. It feels more fun to play compared to say Chess, whereas me (I'm pretty good!) playing vs a Grandmaster results in me losing 95% of the time.

Also, congratulations on your victory :)