Gold testing - and what it means for you!

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Thelo, Dec 8, 2011.

1. pkt-zer0

pkt-zer0 Well-Known Member

You've got it backwards. The online version needs players, and those who already bought the physical version would be the easiest targets. Give them some incentive to go online (discount/free stuff), and you've got yourself a decent-sized playerbase right off the bat.
    At least, that's the way I see things. I don't know how well the physical version sold, and how many people play online, so depending on the numbers, the above may be unnecessary.

2. garcia1000

garcia1000 World Champion Staff Member

I think the effect of more polished interface (sounds, music, animations, etc) has a much larger effect than discounts. You will only get hardcore players without a nice interface. That seems to me to be a big reason for low online playerbase. The other reason is Unity needs a download but nothing can be done about that.

3. Aesa

Aesa Well-Known Member

I really don't think people are going to cheat the system, and if they do it's also a small enough game that if anyone does they'll be detected quickly (since they're taking up the QuickMatch queue).

I know I keep bringing LoL up, but you can do get free currency by joining a custom ARAM game and going afk over and over (unpunishable because custom game), but I have never seen anyone do that even after playing hundreds of them because quite honestly it's a complete waste of that person's time. Would you really play against yourself for 3 minutes to get 8 gold, the equivalent of about 6 cents (no idea if my estimate is right but that's like $1.20/hour)? To be honest, the best way to get a "free" character is to go beg downtown for a day then come back and buy it.

4. ratxt1

ratxt1 Well-Known Member

lol thats a good point aesa yea i doubt getting in cahoots with another player and purposfully losing against each other is a productive use of your time but i do think the concede thing needs a delay because some times it will be a bad MU you got off to a bad start and its within the first minute and many people will think hey ill just concede and move on cough*Obscura*cough there should be a delay for doing this since Yomi is really not a game to promote conceding since it doesn't have slippery slope (well actually it does but its so negligibale i will ignore it) and there is a rare occasion when you do not have a chance of winning

5. Bucky

Bucky Well-Known Member

I don't know who besides me has been playing as Shubi, but we've unlocked everyone.

6. link6616

link6616 Well-Known Member

On the note of Yomi owners getting something and implementation... Perhap those who've just bought it from sirlingames could get the code? In much the same way we go an email about the new puzzle strike chips print and play being added or something. But yeah, be it a coupon for a deck in each game you own or just a deck.

Also, suggestion, considered across game character bundles. Setsuki is a character who I love in all 3 games, and it would be wonderful if I could save 15% or something by buying all 3 games of her

7. janenglund

janenglund Active Member

I agree with you all. My first post in this thread was _BIT_ :rolleyes: provocative. Sorry for that.

But thank you Andrew, you said in other words the things that I also tried to say. Hopefully some people understood the point.

And as I said, I do not suggest to change the business model or Gold Program, I think they can work as you intend them to work. But is good to know that for some people they are not "right" and it drives away potential gamers.

-Jan

8. Mad King

Mad King Active Member

For PS, there should probably be a (small) wait period before you can get dropped from a game. If someone's browser crashes or something, they shouldn't be able to get instadropped.

9. Zejety

Zejety Well-Known Member

Not really relevant for the current discussion but still on topic:
    I think the shop pages for the PS characters should display their character chips.
    Showing a complete Yomi deck would probably be excessive but maybe there could be the character card and 1 or 2 signature cards.

I know that stuff can be found elsewhere (e.g. you can view character chips on a practice game's picking screen) but it would be nice nevertheless.

10. mcw00ty

mcw00ty Member

Are there plans to trickle in more characters on a bi-weekly/monthly/whatever-y basis like League of Legends? That would ensure people always have something to buy.

11. ratxt1

ratxt1 Well-Known Member

I think above idea could defantly work (and would be cool) I just don't think Sirlin has plans for it. Characters need a lot of balancing, and really right now there aren't many play-testers (only really a hand full of players and Sirlin is all I'm aware of) and it would be hard to put them out at a real quick fashion (bi-montly seems doable but would probably need more time)

12. mcw00ty

mcw00ty Member

Well the characters have been made 10 at a time up to this point. It should be a lot easier to create and balance one in a couple weeks.

13. Sirlin

Sirlin Steward of the Realm Staff Member

The plan is the opposite of endlessly releasing characters.

sheafification and NoahTheDuke like this.
  14. NoahTheDuke

NoahTheDuke Active Member

I'm guessing there will probably be more games forthcoming that star the same cast of characters: a train simulator, maybe a farming/economic game, at least two space-themed dice games, and one war game. Am I totally wrong? Cuz this looks good to me. :-P

But seriously. The plan is to have available the same 20 characters for all the games, right? So, Flash Duel has them, Puzzle Strike has them but they're being revised, and Yomi will have them once they've had some serious work. Will you continue the Fantasy Strike line with other games staring these characters? I really like the model, especially as a method of fleshing out the "personalities" of the characters through their various abilities.

15. garcia1000

garcia1000 World Champion Staff Member

I believe the plan is to get more money through visual things, such as differnet deck backs, art, music, and so on.

NoahTheDuke likes this.
  16. Kdansky

Kdansky Banned

What about people just playing bad and fast so they lose and gain easy gold? You can hardly ban people for playing badly and drawing a line just means you end up with something utterly disgusting like LoLs council system, which is a glorified Yakuza.

And if you plan to punish people who instantly quit every game to make easy gold, I can still pick Jaina, and try to rushdown anyone (and probably lose in less than ten turns 99% of the time) for insanely quick games.

As for "how will you sustain it?" -> There is no need to get recurring money from the same few people if new people enter the game from time to time, or if one releases a new game. The physical box didn't charge me money more than once either.

17. Fry

Fry Well-Known Member

So when the gold test started, I was getting 800 gold per win, now I seem to be getting 600 gold per win. What's the deal with that?

18. jelyman

jelyman Active Member

Question. Will you get the same amount of gold for all games. I think it should be different based on average game length. When Flash Duel gets implemented it would be crazy to get the same amount of gold just super fast.

19. matt.lashof

matt.lashof Active Member

With flash duel mentioned, it might make sense to multiply all gold amounts by 10 to give more flexibility later. I know you had talked about something like 6/2 or 8/2 for a win/loss in PS. If instead you get 20 for losing, you could get 5 for losing at Flash Duel.

Or multiply by 4, and get 1 for losing at Flash Duel, and decided that we'll never want a smaller gold award than for losing a game of Flash Duel.

20. jelyman

jelyman Active Member

ok i am not sure this qualifies as an issue or what not but just a thought. first its been really cool to see a bunch of new players. There has been a good jump in activity on the sight and i hope we also see some increased activity in tournaments and such. iI just finished playing a new guy who was desperately trying to unlock some other characters. He wasnt complaining about the system but i could sense a tinge of agony in playing someone he wasnt good/familiar with.

This got me thinking. I assume that once the testing period is done, the gold will be reset to 0. Cant imagine it being any other way. When that takes place i worry that some of the new addidtions might get pretty discouraged in having to start from scratch once again. i dont think you should change the gold system or give perks to former members/hard copy owners etc.... but was thinking of a way for the transition to feel not so brutal for some people.

so my question....would it be possible to have only 1 free character at a time but also everyone gets 400 gold to start out with so they can buy one other char of their choice.? the obvious problem with this is that it would mean you would have 2 playable char in yomi but only 1 in ps or the other way around. still though i dont think the redulars would mind too much and i think the newer players probably only stick to one game mainly and would prefer to have at least their choice in some fashion.

like i said i dont even know if this is a good idea or if it will be an issue but just thought i would think out loud. :D

21. pkt-zer0

pkt-zer0 Well-Known Member

Would separate gold pools for games be a terrible idea? Or simply just more terrible than having to balance gold value/acquisition rates across 3 games or so.

22. NoahTheDuke

NoahTheDuke Active Member

It may not be easy to implement, but I agree that it would probably be best to make each game have its own "gold". That way, people wouldn't feel the need to play a game they don't necessarily want to play to optimally make the most gold.

23. matt.lashof

matt.lashof Active Member

Then people could just make lots of alt accounts, and have every character.

NoahTheDuke likes this.
  24. Atma

Atma Active Member

Why not simply provide a deep discount for the cost of buying the first character. 1 random character weekly, each character costs X gold, but the first one you buy only costs you 0.25X. That way nobody feels like they HAVE to grind for one favorite character, and they're more likely to want to buy more because of the (previously mentioned) first-purchase phenomenon.

25. Fry

Fry Well-Known Member

You're still encouraging lots of alt accounts, if anything the first character should cost more than the rest, not less

26. Atma

Atma Active Member

What you're neglecting to realize is that you're still getting PAID for each of those accounts. And in the absolute WORST case scenario you encrypt and remember paypal/CC numbers used with an account and don't allow them to be used again with a new account. [If someone has a good reason for making a purchase with a new account they can email Thelo and he could easily override to allow it.]

The goal is not to make it impossible to cheat the system but to make it favorable to buy into it by increasing the difficulty of cheating and decreasing the difficulty of buying.

27. jelyman

jelyman Active Member

This is true. I have no problem with the current set up. Well on a good note it doesn't seem like too many bugs being reported now.

NoahTheDuke likes this.
  28. Aesa

Aesa Well-Known Member

Just wondering, is there an estimate on when the "real" gold mode is going to be released?

29. Gold testing bug:

Currently the PayPal buttons are locked, presumably because you aren't intending to charge during the testing process. However, if you type in an account name to gift gold (or a subscription), then hitting enter will still process you through to PayPal. I recommend disabling the gift button also, to avoid anyone spending money during the test on a beta not intended for sale just yet.

30. Inkstud

Inkstud Well-Known Member

I see that the gold price for the PS characters is 4000 now, and I just played two quickmatch games without gaining any gold for it. I assume based on this that we're in preliminary for the buying gold with IRL money phase of this, though I see I still can't even buy gold (Paypal buttons are crossed out).

Is there currently any way to access the remaining PS characters that I don't have access to?

NoahTheDuke likes this.
  31. vonsabrewulf

vonsabrewulf Member

i think the gold system is well implement, well at least for yomi, i havent played puzzle strike so i cant give my ipinion on it

32. Delha

Delha Active Member

The gold system is universal, it appliese to both games. Gold earned in Yomi can be spent on Puzzle Strike characters and vice versa. The amount of gold earned from wins/losses is also identical.

33. Maris

Maris Member

Perhaps instead, allow for a person who finishes their first 50 matches to obtain one free character. 50 matches takes about 500 minutes of play to complete, so 8 hours of time. It's a bonus to keep casual people interested without feeling like "I'm giving my game away".

34. perinigricon

perinigricon Member

Any thought of letting players play, say, 3 games with each character before having to buy them, or limited trials of characters for less gold?
    Yes, it's abusable, but getting more people playing the game / possibly buying characters will be beneficial down the road.