Keyed Up

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by rozencrantz, Feb 8, 2010.

1. rozencrantz

rozencrantz Active Member

I've noticed something recently between the games I play, and I was wondering if any of you folks could shed some light on the subject.

I'm putting solid effort into about 5 games right now: Arcana Heart, Samurai Shodown, Smash Bros Brawl, Kongai, and Balloon Fight.

Of these, the first is the one I'm worst at, and I can only practice for short amounts of time before I'm too irritable and frustrated to play. SamSho and Brawl don't get me raging as fast, but when I start messing up, I'm on the frustration train and have to take a break.

I never get angry when I'm playing Kongai or Balloon Fight. I'm not anywhere near where I want to be with either one, and they screw me about as often as any other game. But just for these two games, my fuckups and bad rolls don't bother me at all. Kongai gets me pumped up when I win a few, and Balloon Fight is mostly just relaxing.

I figure this is either a temperament thing (higher execution = more rage) or a familiarity thing (I've been playing BF off and on for about 10 years)

I'm as much interested in similar or varying experiences as thoughts to the cause. So what games make you irritable / mesh with the fiber of your soul?

2. Effayy

Effayy Member

I don't think I've ever had a game of Gears of War 2 where I didn't go WTF and/or get really pissed because of random BS every round. Needless to say I stopped playing after a month and never intend to again.

Street Fighter IV also pisses me off to no end quite a bit. The execution in that game is so wonky nothing ever works out the way I intend. So I never play that anymore either.

Braid was very relaxing for me. I never got frustrated with it; any puzzle I couldn't overcome I simply skipped and came back to later. Often times the second time I tried the puzzle it can much easier.

When I practiced Shadowrun on the xbox 360 a lot and was at my prime (since the community hand't died yet and I was on a team) I usually didn't get frustrated. Even though it was intense, I usually was able to keep my cool. It was probably because I was so familiar with it that most of my actions were unconsciously good, if you understand what I mean.

3. RoieTRS

RoieTRS Active Member

I only get angry in games where if you die, you are out for a short while. Counterstrike, dota, etc. Probably because only in those games there is time to get angry.

4. Shiri

Shiri Well-Known Member

I recently discovered that the reason one of my friends describes her experience with me teaching her Yomi as "traumatising" but happily plays HON and the odd FG, is that in yomi every turn she failed, that she failed would be blatantly obvious and discrete.

5. Voltrox747

Voltrox747 New Member

There are three things that piss me off more than anything else in action games: Knowing exactly what I want my character to do and not being able to do it,getting killed without knowing what I did wrong or having any way to see it coming, and being interrupted or having control taken from me by something outside the core gameplay (pointless dialogue, forced minigames, excessive loading or menu fiddling, etc.). Fluid controls and movement are the first thing I look for in any game, and any defect in that regard is generally the first thing to make me quit a game.

Being out of the game for even a few seconds can get annoying, but it's not limited to online games. I've been getting pissed off at a lot of modern games for having a massive load time after each death, or for sending you back to the start menu so you have to reload again. If I just got my ass kicked by a boss, 99% of the time I'm going to want to get right back in there and fight it again while I'm still hyped. I don't know why some single-player games even have death screens. If there's a checkpoint right before a dangerous area, they should just warp you right back there after a death instead of all that loading and menu nonsense.

Aside from that, I've lost almost all patience for anything involving randomness. It's one thing to have items appear randomly in Smash or to have a minor variation in attack damage in RTS games, but getting killed outright by a random critical in an RPG (or hybrid) is enough to make me quit. I also have a serious hatred for low drop chances, especially if the things dropped are a major part of the game, such as the Metroidvanias. What's the point of having cool soul abilities if I don't get to see most of them until I've already finished the game?

I'd better stop here or I'm going to start ranting on the subject again. I just tried to play through Dawn of Sorrow a couple days ago after not having played it since it came out. I had forgotten this, but aside from wasting 15-30 minutes to get a single soul from certain enemies, you have to get 9 of them to fully power it up. The game went right back in the case forever when I noticed that.

6. Lofobal

Lofobal Well-Known Member

Sage and I discussed this sort of thing yesterday. I think it started because WaterD said his girlfriend liked Dota and that even if she made a mistake she could just keep playing and learning. It can lead to a smoother learning curve. Personally I like to have losses RIGHT THERE in my face, since then I know exactly what to work on. It seems like preference, though.

7. Shiri

Shiri Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'm not decided...I dislike not knowing what I did wrong but sometimes the act of figuring it out without it being obvious can make me feel like I've improved, which is nice.

8. Logo

Logo Well-Known Member

I have two cases where I get heated over losing.

- Some RTSes really piss me off after a loss like WC3 and CnC. I've come to realize it's mostly because these RTSes have terrible game mechanics.
    - Team based games that offer no room for personal achievement. When I play a game of Lol and my team is doing so bad that no matter what I do I can't change our fate I get angry. Mostly when the team is so bad I don't even feel like I got to play.

9. SillySod

SillySod Active Member

I tend to get frustrated for two reasons:

1) I cant play the game properly due to lag or a bug or something.
    2) I play against someone who makes all the wrong moves but gets super lucky and beats me anyway.

I'm trying to turn the second one around into a learning experience. I keep looking at how I could have forced them to be even more lucky, how I could have shut them out of the game even more carefully. Its definately a way to improve your game but its not really what I'm into, sometimes its a bit tedious.