League of Legends ELO System

Discussion in 'Game Design' started by TheGodEmperor, Mar 14, 2012.

1. Fenrir

Fenrir Well-Known Member

Man, I've played like a million hours in LoL and I still think that.

It's like, I'd like to try Vlad. Too bad I have to buy him/wait for free week. Then, oh wait, I don't have any +% health runes. So I can't try the build I want either.
  2. Ehrgeix

Ehrgeix Well-Known Member

I think that that is fundamentally a true problem (leartes) but again not *that* bad -- like, if you make an ap page (ap/mrp/armor/mr) and an ad page (ad/ad/armor/mr) you can play most characters at like 90%+ effectiveness. (inc. vlad -- % health runes are really bad).

Counterpoint: I really have enjoyed just picking any hero in dota2 and playing it and figuring out what it does and whether i enjoy it etc.
  3. MyotisPrime

MyotisPrime Member

Instead of runes I would rather have more starting gold and smaller items like Iron Branch. That way you can choose your bonus stats once the game starts, not before. Also no need to have(buy) 10 rune pages and runes.
  4. Leartes

Leartes Well-Known Member

I can only talk about my experience at this point. For me it is not only about trying some hero out, it is about customization and optimization. In dota I have to optimize my hero-pick in relation to my team and the opposing team. Additionally to that I have to optimize my skill-build and item-build depending on the flow of the game.

I like thinking about this stuff.

It is not that I follow my own advice at all times, but I like to think about all the ifs. LoL gives me runes and masteries on top of that and I was really really excited. Playing more and more I ran into situations where I had the feeling I could not try combinations because always a small part was missing. It just made me rage even harder than I was excited before.
    Then I quite and I don't regrett it :-) I realized that dota has enough customization and I have to improve the rest of my gameplay.
    MyotisPrime likes this.
  5. MyotisPrime

MyotisPrime Member

It's like building a deck in a card game, or choosing skills in Diablo 3. You pick X things from a pool of Y things to match your playstyle and find your optimal combination. So it's sad and frustrating when you only get a fraction of Y because the rest is hidden behind too much money and time spent.
    Leartes likes this.
  6. Leartes

Leartes Well-Known Member

Imagine Divine Rapier was an item only available if you pay 5$ for it every time you build it. I never build one in all my games, still I'd be pissed about it.
    Polari likes this.
  7. MyotisPrime

MyotisPrime Member

You don't have to imagine. Just look at a ton of iOS "games" and most free to play games.
  8. Gon

Gon Active Member

One issue with the customization I have is that in game, it's not always salient what your set up is doing for you and how if varies from other builds. For example, can anyone notice a distinction between using armor pen reds or straight AD reds?
  9. Waterd103

Waterd103 Well-Known Member

Straight AD makes it easier to farm and is quite noticeable. Armor pen is quite noticeable early on on Skills vs low armor targets, you just break them. (though now a days opening with Armor or having Armor seals is very common in part for that reason.)
  10. Gon

Gon Active Member

Are you at the point where you can notice how different your character feels with different set ups tho? Cause I've played around... 700 normals and almost 300 ranked games and I can't really notice the differences between a lot of rune/mastery set ups in game.
  11. Waterd103

Waterd103 Well-Known Member

I can when I play them or i know the character very well, there are so many heroes though that is impossible to keep track of the hero doing that because runes/masters, or that is what the hero do.