Newbie Guide

Discussion in 'Street Fighter HD Remix' started by Vateke, Apr 12, 2011.

1. Vateke

Vateke Member

I've recently started playing this and I don't even know where to start. This there a guide that explains how the game mechanic here work? Everything I've looked at has been too high level. I'm still struggling to beat Easy mode without using a continue.
  2. Geo

Geo New Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0cFs5mHQC4
  3. Lofobal

Lofobal Well-Known Member

Do not play against the AI, it cheats and teaches the wrong lessons. Find some people to play against.
  4. Geo

Geo New Member

Nah, for a total beginner the AI is fine IMO. If he goes online straight away he's going to get annihilated and probably very discouraged.
  5. Lofobal

The AI is basically never worth playing against. It's best to find a friend at your level or someone who is willing to show you how it goes.
  6. Domon

Domon Member

ai is ok for very basic spacing, jumping, poking and practicing special moves. we all started from there... :D
  7. vestax

vestax Member

Download the The World Warrior and start from there. :D
  8. Trevor

Trevor Member

Best thing is actually to find someone good willing to put you through training sessions like Thelo. I love the idea of his training method, "Try as hard as you can to win, but using only ONE move. Once they figure out how to get around it, switch to a different move."

A video or article that explains the basic idea of normals, throws, specials, controlling space, knockdowns, crossups, and mixups is a good place to start though.
  9. Avatar Z

Quoting for truthiness...

Guys, Lofo is not kidding here! HDR (and all of SF2 for that matter) is a terrible 1P game. Of course you can still play 1P for fun, achievements, etc., but I would not use it as a substitute for player vs player while playing to improve.
  10. Geo

Geo New Member

I'm talking about for an absolute beginner - someone who doesn't even know what the various characters normals look like. And maybe he doesn't have anyone in person to play against.

You're pitching it as if he plays against the CPU and he's going to corrupt any chance he has of playing properly against people in the future, which is not true.
  11. sf2

sf2 New Member

this is so totally wrong.

everyone starts learning this game by playing the cpu.

the cpu doesn't teach you everything about the game (like it seldom crosses you up or bait for you reversal), but there are a bunch of stuffs that you can learn from the ai.

for example, even intermediate zangief players don't know how to do sac spd from max distance, but the cpu will do that pretty often (the default us st ai anyway).

the ai also uses normals to punish whiffs much better than the average online player you encounter, so you can learn from that too.
  12. CWheezy

CWheezy Well-Known Member

Cpu has literally different moves at their disposal
  13. Lofobal

I didn't, and I think learning against the AI focuses on the wrong things.

edit - That is, it's good to be thinking about what the other guy is thinking from day 1. That should be the base you start with. Learning punishes or whatever can come from looking at frame data and trying stuff out in training mode.
  14. MrGPhantome

MrGPhantome Member

I think your best option is to find a local friend to play with. He could totally beginner level like you, it doesn't matter. What is important is that you are comfortable playing with that person.

Once you find that friend, just play a bunch of matches, have some fun and try to 1up each other. It's fun exposing your friend and humbling when they do it to you.

You don't always need to go to the pros to learn how to play a game and you'll be surprised how much you can learn by just playing with your buddy.

Once you and your buddy think you're the shit, find other people to play with online and off.
  15. vestax

vestax Member

The one thing I learn from playing training mode CPU is the number of ways they counter a single move. For instance, spam hands with honda, and see how each CPU character counters it. It's interesting!
  16. Jobber

Jobber Active Member

If your friend you play locally is such a beginner, though, whatever you learn from him is going to be similar to what you learn from the AI, possibly worse. If he's still getting a feel for the game, whatever tactics he uses might be random or flat out ineffective. He won't know how to counter your attacks (at least the AI has some basic strategy it follows), and his execution might be so terrible you could luck into attacks that should've been stuffed (e.g. he might not DP you when you deserved it).

Obviously, fighting the AI won't teach you how to become a good tournament player, but it at least can get your feet wet. You can learn things like spacing and hitboxes. If you fight against Ryu, Guile, or Sagat, AI characters who spam a lot of projectiles and follow with anti-air specials, you will get an idea at what distances it's safe for jump ins. When I played HF for SNES, I learned that shotos j.HK didn't work against Honda's s.HP, but Blankas did. Computer Zangief is really aggressive on SPD's, so you can learn very basic keepaway tricks.

Just through repetition and observation, you'll learn some things from playing against the AI, particularly if you have low experience in the game.
  17. Lofobal

Even if your friend is terrible, you will improve your reading, which is more important anyways. Also your friend will improve over time unless he's terrible, the AI won't. And hopefully your friend won't literally cheat.
  18. MrGPhantome

MrGPhantome Member

I disagree, as I believe that playing any human is much better than playing an AI. Even newbie human players still show creative solutions that the AI can't come up with. Even randomness of a bad player can be a humbling experience for any player, even experienced ones. As Lofo has mentioned, you will get the benefit of improving the ability to read your opponent and learning how to manipulate that information to your advantage.
  19. Jobber

Jobber Active Member

I know a lot of people are nearly 2 decades displaced from being complete and total novices, so it's easy to misjudge how awful a lot of people are when they first pick up the controller. You might be playing a guy with awful execution so you might never see certain special attacks (SPD, DP, or even something simple like fireball spam, etc.). Noobs also might forget certain techniques in each characters repertoire, and not just special attacks. Maybe they won't throw, or block, or try out various normals because they, like many, are so focused on HP and HK. I'm just saying AI opponents will likely do certain things that noobs might not even consider doing.

I'm in no way advocating the use of 1p mode as the primary method of learning the game. I am saying, though, that if you're trying the game for the first time, any sort of play time you can get can potentially be a learning experience. Also, there are drawbacks to too much of any kind of practice. Opponent too good? Frustrating. Too weak? Develop bad habits in facing opponents. Too inexperienced? You won't see certain attacks and won't learn how to counter things. AI? Robotic play styles and unrealistic PvP scenarios. For most intermediate gamers and above, though, AI doesn't provide anything but a task to do, like an achievement or game unlock.
  20. zem

zem Super Moderator Staff Member

I feel like the pro-AI-practice and anti-AI-practice people have different kinds of newbie players in mind. In my experience, most people who've never played fighting games before are completely unfamiliar with the control scheme, take a very long time to become comfortable with blocking and jumping, spend even longer to get used to throwing a fireball without jumping most of the time, and don't enjoy playing long enough to become comfortable with doing even something like a dp.

I forget what point I was making. But people at the "completely new to fighting games" level have so much to learn about the basic system that flailing around with the AI is about as good as flailing around against another newbie. And these people also won't enjoy being (and won't be useful at all as) training partners against anyone remotely more experienced. So if your friends don't already know fighting games and don't want to put in the time to understand them, then fighting the AI is better than nothing.

edit: Jobber said basically what I was trying to say but better.
  21. CWheezy

CWheezy Well-Known Member

CPU zangief will instantly stand roundhouse dhalsim standing kicks, which is my favorite counter