Online Flash Duel development thread

Discussion in 'Flash Duel' started by Thelo, May 28, 2012.

1. CrystalChaos

CrystalChaos Moderator Staff Member

Whenever you would draw up to a hand of 5 cards, draw up to 6 instead. If the round would be decided by who advanced farthest, instead you lose this round and the next.

The bolded section could be interpreted to mean either you draw to 6 whenever you would refill hand or draw to 6 whenever you would have to draw to 5 (because you have less than 5 cards in hand). Not sure which is correct, though.

2. Lofobal

Lofobal Well-Known Member

Seems pretty obvious to me that it means "treat her hand size as 6 and refill to that when you redraw." The part about 5 cards is just timing.

zem likes this.
  3. Turbo164

Turbo164 Well-Known Member

Don't have my rulebook with me (@work); this hinges on whether the normal rules say "at the end of your turn, draw until you have 5" or "at the end of your turn IF YOU HAVE LESS THAN 5, draw until you have 5." First would match the server, second would match the way MK and I have played it (we've only had like 3 people ever pick Gwen and we always assumed it was the second way...never bothered to look it up)

4. CrystalChaos

It's draw until you have 5 cards, so should always draw to 6 (server works correctly).

Turbo164 likes this.
  5. Thelo

Thelo Administrator Staff Member

2012-07-09 update:
    - New mode available, Dragon Raid. A team of two to four mortals challenge the powerful Deathstrike Dragon to a match. Beware: the Dragon has more cards, more abilities, more hit points, and gains extra turns from defeating mortals.
    - Team Battle: 1v2 now uses an "accelerated" turn order, where the 1 player takes a turn for each opponent turn
    - Fixed Acrobatics to be illegal when you can't retreat
    - Fixed server freeze regarding Dominance and Beckon in 2v2
    - Fixed weird behavior when the bot uses Roll the Dice
    - Fixed bot freeze with Dragon's Will
    - Fixed attacks / dashing strikes sometimes being unblockable for no reason

bbobjs likes this.
  6. Thelo

2012-07-11 update:
    - Custom Clockwork mode is now available. Each player drafts 4 abilities from a pool of 12 to defeat their opponent.
    (Known bug: Landmine and Clockwork Soldier combine badly - they both gain the properties of the other)

- Fixed Acrobatics allowing illegal retreats
    - Fixed Dragon's Will not forcing a retreat on players on their start space
    - Fixed Maximum Anarchy messing up the Dragon's hand
    - Fixed a few gamelog issues
    - New Game button now only appears for the room's host (instead of appearing for everyone)

bbobjs likes this.
  7. Mad King

Mad King Active Member

BUG: When a character is randomly selected, they have no abilities game 1.

8. Thelo

2012-07-20 update:
    - Some sprite animations for attacks, blocks, dashes, hits. Not all characters have them. Secret codes to trigger them in rulesless mode: Shift-H, Shift-B, Shift-J, Shift-N

bbobjs and NoahTheDuke like this.
  9. Eji1700

Eji1700 Well-Known Member

Dashing strike with RTD on lum seems bugged. I chose dash with 4, and then it made me move.

10. Thelo

2012-07-25 update:
    - Fixed Roll the Dice not working with dashing strikes
    - More sprite animations
    - Better sprite rendering

bbobjs likes this.
  11. Scarbo

Scarbo Well-Known Member

The game is not loading correctly sometimes. Not sure if this is the bug you mentioned. bug.png

12. Thelo

I've stealth-fixed a probable cause of this, does this still happen after you refresh the webpage?

bbobjs likes this.
  13. Thelo

2012-07-27 update:
    - Fixed occasional silent crash
    - Persephone sprite anims: attack, block, move
    - Added several status effect icons, with tooltips
    - Ability cards get a hourglass icon when they can't be played due to having used an ability this turn
    - Lobby now has a way to choose who goes first

bbobjs likes this.
  14. Thelo

2012-07-30 update:
    - New sprite anims: Persephone hit, Gloria block, dash, attack

bbobjs likes this.
  15. Scarbo

Scarbo Well-Known Member

Is it possible that one of the updates after this reset something with the sprite rendering? Here is a screencap from immediately after this update:
    bug.png

BBB's sprite is very clear in this image. Here is how BBB's sprite looks now:
    bug2.png

BBB's sprite is much more blurry in this picture, which is how it appeared before the sprite rendering update. It could be a problem on my end, but other people see it the same way I do.

16. Thelo

Whoops! I indeed accidentally reverted the sprite rendering there. Thanks for the heads-up, I will fix.

bbobjs likes this.
  17. Thelo

I've stealth-fixed this, you should get the sharper rendering next time you load the game.

bbobjs likes this.
  18. CrystalChaos

I think the game should tell you at the end of each round with quince in it which card he saved with political prowess.

NoahTheDuke and Scarbo like this.
  19. Turbo164

Turbo164 Well-Known Member

For a small charge, of course. :cquince:

20. Thelo

2012-08-01 update:
    - New sprite animations: Gloria, Gwen
    - The game now tells you which cards are left aside by Political Prowess between rounds
    - Fixed a graphical issue with drawing the initial cards on round start
    - Fixed random-chosen characters not having their abilities on the first round of a game
    - Flashbot can now use Dominance and Beckon, and avoids forfeiting to Raise the Stakes
    - Fixed character select screen not scaling with screen size
    - Fixed action buttons incorrectly staying enabled during animations
    - Fixed P1 "stepping" on P2's Landmine on a new round if it was placed on P1's start space

bbobjs and NoahTheDuke like this.
  21. Thelo

2012-08-03 update:
    - New feature, Undo. You can undo your last move if you didn't draw a card and it's still your turn.
    - New feature, Concede. Conceding instantly loses the game.
    -- Both of these, along with the New Game button, are now in a small in-game menu.
    - New sprite animations: Vendetta, Zane (partial)
    - Landmine now has a separate icon on the playfield
    - Icon tooltips no longer go offscreen
    - Fixed the conflict between Landmine and Clockwork Soldier in Custom Clockwork
    - Flashbot now plays more slowly, to give you a chance to see what's going on

bbobjs likes this.
  22. CrystalChaos

rasfdfwe.PNG Captur454tgdfgfdgre.PNG Captureasdfe.PNG

graphical things

23. Scarbo

Scarbo Well-Known Member

24. Thelo

2012-08-07 update:
    - New Zane sprite animations (block, hit)
    - New Landmine icon
    - Distance indicator now also works in team modes
    - Deathstrike Dragon now has a status icon showing his remaining hit points
    - Beckon's number choice is now gamelogged properly
    - Now autoskipping the dashing strike defense step when you cannot retreat, nor block, nor use any abilities (unblockable strike on the start space)
    - Deathstrike Dragon doesn't need to choose "Forfeit / Don't forfeit" against Raise the Stakes
    - Deathstrike Dragon now properly shuffles his hand with the discard cards during a reshuffle (vs 3 or 4 mortals)
    - Fixed dead players' Pacifism and Shadow Plague activating in team modes
    - Fixed Team 1 being incorrectly awarded a win when Team 2 has more survivors (Team Battle)
    - Fixed incorrect hit animations and hit gamelogs in team modes
    - Fixed dashing block not having any animation (team modes)
    - Fixed Beckon moving a player into a Landmine causing that player to skip their current turn rather than their next turn
    - Fixed Dominance on a recovering player forcing that player to recover on their following turn
    - Fixed concede on non-final rounds causing the player's first turn of the next round to be played by a bot
    - Deathstrike Dragon's status icons are now shown a bit higher, to avoid covering his face
    - Fixed fast successive animations sometimes interfering with each other (mostly for Rulesless mode)
    - Fixed Dominance in 2v1 situations sometimes crashing the server

bbobjs likes this.
  25. Topheth

Topheth New Member

Played as Grave vs Gloria. When I used Knowing the Opponent after her retreat, Gloria's cards were shown as expected. But after clicking the Done button, her cards remained on the screen. When she drew cards, they were then shown on-screen as well before the box disappeared.

26. Topheth

Topheth New Member

Playing as Setsuki, utilized Esper Dash after a move (forward). Was at a distance of six with a 1 and two 5s in hand for dashing strike, but only option given was Move.

[​IMG]

27. Scarbo

Scarbo Well-Known Member

From the game log in the screencap, it looks like Flashbot used Steam Vent on his turn. You could not have used a dashing strike that turn. :cbbb:

Turbo164 likes this.
  28. Topheth

Topheth New Member

Ah! Yes, I certainly missed that. Thanks!

29. Thelo

2012-08-13 update:
    Match timers.
    For timer speeds Slow / Med / Fast:
    - 26 / 18 / 10 s. per bar
    - Start with 3 bars
    - +1 bar at turn start
    - +0.5 bar on defense
    - +2 / +1.5 / +1 s. for every action taken
    - When you run out of timer, the game automatically chooses an action for you
    - You can't fall below 5 s. on starting any new action

- A new Pause button is now in the in-game menu. Each player gets 5 pauses per game, unpausable by any player (to stop the match timer).

- Fixed some cases where the bot would hang when faced with a complex dashing block situation
    - Fixed being able to click buttons and cards "through" the in-game menu

bbobjs likes this.
  30. Thelo

I'd appreciate feedback on how appropriate the match timers are, if they're too fast, too slow, or just right.

In my test games, I've found it pretty damn hard to actually run out of match timer, but I know I personally tend to prefer faster timers than many people are comfortable with, so any feedback is welcome.

bbobjs likes this.
  31. Thelo

2012-08-15 update:
    - New scheme for the main action phase. Rather than choosing between Move / Attack / D.strike / Push, then choosing a card, then (for moves) choosing a direction, you first choose a card, then you click the desired action icon on the game board. This speeds up moves and makes actions more visually obvious.
    - Fixed some problems with the displayed ability cards on the first turn of a new game, if a bot plays first
    - Fixed a lobby bug that could make you lose control of the room
    - Fixed a problem with text rendering

bbobjs likes this.
  32. Thelo

I'd like feedback on the new input scheme for the main action phase. The intent of the new scheme is to reduce the clicking needed for common moves, and to make things more visual.

bbobjs likes this.
  33. Scarbo

Scarbo Well-Known Member

New input scheme is great and reduces misplays. A bit slower to play but who cares.

Bug report: The game freezes whenever I dashing strike Flashbot on its start space while it has Slippery Fish (Arg and clockwork bots). In the screencap, hitting Done does nothing.

freezagarg.png

34. Lofobal

hahah I have been complaining endlessly to make it less clicks. I like the new one better, though.

35. Beikoku Taichou

Beikoku Taichou Well-Known Member

New control scheme is less clicks, which SHOULD mean faster gameplay.

However, there is one advantage that the old scheme had: you knew at the start of your turn what your options were, based on the buttons that were available to you.

SOLUTION!

mouseover a number displays the available options for it, even before you click on it.

ALSO

If I click 4 and then change my mind (before I select an option) and want 3, I should be able to click 3 without having to manually undo. I shouldn't be "locked in" until I actually choose an action. This means that the card itself shouldn't display to the opponent until an action is chosen. This will make play slightly faster I think, and also make the scheme more intuitive.

ALSO ALSO

bugabug If I retreat into a situation where I win by last hits, at the start of the next round my guy is in recovery animation (but not recovering)

I <3 thelo. Keep up the good work.

Targie likes this.
  36. CrystalChaos

I suggest similar buttons to the main action buttons for Land Mine and other abilities where you have to select a location.

37. CrystalChaos

This happened after I won a round against gwenbot on last hits:

Capturewefsefasfweqgsvefvsad.PNG

The game log says "Flashbot moves 0 forward with a 5". After the bot's first turn that round it played normally, although the sprite did not reappear (little dust clouds for movement still showed up though). Even when I started a new game (with the bot as a different character), the bot's sprite still did not reappear. Then I started another new game (with a new bot character again), and the bot movement frames showed, although the stationary sprite did not. The bot was Quince and it looked pretty cool though. After I hit the bot (on its start space) the getting hit animation showed, and then the bot sprite worked normally the next round.

38. Lofobal

I very much disagree, actually. If my opponent is 7 away I want to be able to click 4-3-3 and get a dashing strike. That would be 3 clicks where the current system is 5, and without moving my mouse around. IMO the buttons should only really be needed for disambiguation.

Similarly, if I am 4 away and I click a 4, it could be an attack or move. But if I click another 4, that removes the ambiguity and I hope it would recognize that I am attacking. There is more ambiguity in 2v2 (could be overdash into front guy and strike back guy), so I imagine the buttons being used more there.

You are right about the "know what options are available" thing. Hmm. Maybe at start of turn, before you click anything, all the options you have are displayed with the buttons, but they are lightly greyed out or transparent or something. and you could hover over them to see what cards are used for that option (they light up).

Also I'd like to be able to click the entire square when I click to move, I am pretty clumsy. Maybe click entire square for other actions too.

There are tons of start of round animation/visual bugs. They are all basically the same bug afaik.

CWheezy likes this.
  39. Lofobal

The sprites are gorgeous, by the way.

40. Thelo

2012-08-17 update:
    - General Flashbot AI improvements for non-ability play. Flashbot can now kick your ass.
    - Match timer defaults to Slow instead of None
    - Pacifism now warns in the gamelog when it fails to activate
    - Fixed some abilities incorrectly being usable while recovering
    - Fixed moves not detecting whether they count as "forward" or "backward" moves correctly
    - Fixed the Character Select's Cancel button not working
    - Fixed yet more text rendering problems
    - Fixed incorrect distance indicators in the gamelog, like "(d: 7)"

bbobjs likes this.
  41. CrystalChaos

most of the text issues seem to be fixed now but here is one I noticed (g of "Selecting"):

fefeqrfqregrrreqge.PNG

42. Beikoku Taichou

Beikoku Taichou Well-Known Member

Lofo, so you are suggesting same controls as now but if you click multiple cards in sequence it automatically figures out what you want? I like it. Hopefully there are no ambiguous situations that break it.

I'm not sure how I feel about "all options greyed out, options light up when you mouse over a card" on one hand it provides the user with all the info the old setup used to provide. On the other hand, it may also create situations where there are way too many buttons being thrown at you. I guess thelo should try it and see ;) if not, try my suggestion where you only show the options for the mouse over card.

43. Thelo

2012-08-20 update:
    - Fixed Slippery Fish crash
    - Fixed AI crash
    - Fixed disappearing Gwen sprite
    - Fixed Dragon Form not working

bbobjs likes this.
  44. Thelo

2012-08-23 update:
    - Landmine now uses the icon UI rather than the choice buttons
    - UI shortcuts for the main action phase:
    -- To attack with a pair or stronger, instead of clicking 4-Attack-4, you can click 4-4 directly
    -- To dashing strike, instead of clicking 4-DS-3, you can click 4-3 directly
    - Fixed a graphical glitch for the Dragon's hand cards during a discard reshuffle
    - In the Dragon Raid mode, the mortals now correctly only draw back to 5 just before the Dragon's turn, instead of at end of turn. (Exception: Fast-Forward Time still lets you draw to 5 before taking your extra turn.)
    - Some gamelog cleanup, for better readability
    - Moved the distance indicator below the game board, to prevent text overlap with the phase description on small screens

bbobjs likes this.
  45. Thelo

2012-08-24 update:
    - Flash Duel Replays.
    Basically a straight port of Yomi / PS replays. Every game is automatically recorded on the server and assigned to the players involved, and you can replay them by going to the profile screen or through a replay link. Replays feature step-by-step play and also let you jump to any given step instantly.

bbobjs likes this.
  46. Thelo

2012-08-28 update:
    - Quick Matches and Leaderboards. Flash Duel quick matches are a single game of the Full mode, played for 3-of-5 rounds. Flash Duel rankings are like Yomi and Puzzle Strike's rankings: they're effectively shared between all characters during Student ranks, then get split between characters during Master ranks.
    - Custom games also get rematch buttons at end of game, insetad of needing to do a manual New Game every time
    - The profiles now show your total Flash Duel time played and Flash Duel rankings

bbobjs likes this.
  47. Scarbo

Scarbo Well-Known Member

Deathstrike Dragon can be picked in QM rematch.

Edit: Also, my win with dragon did not give rank, so I am tied for first on the leaderboards instead of winning. :(

deluks917, bbobjs and Turbo164 like this.
  48. Lofobal

that's definitely a bug. it should only be possible when you lose with menelker

49. Lofobal

If you go into custom clockwork with more than 2 players the turn order is wonky and then it locks up.

edit - oh it works ok with 3 and with 4 it didn't lock up this time. no clue on that.
    edit - seems to lock up if i don't get the first pick? it starts with one bot, then another bot gets 2 picks, then i get 2 picks, then second bot gets 2 picks and it doesn't respond
    edit -
    it presents me the pass button and draws the game when i press it >.> I guess it's still using the 25 card deck? that would explain it

50. CrystalChaos

I think there should probably be some indication of which team players are on. Maybe make them the same color on the top, idk. Or some symbol for each team.