Online Puzzle Strike development thread

Discussion in 'Puzzle-Strike: Bag of Chips' started by Thelo, Dec 2, 2011.

1. Thelo

Thelo Administrator Staff Member

Are you on Windows or Mac OS?

If you're on Mac OS, have you tried using Google Chrome Canary, and if so, does that fix the problem?
    bbobjs likes this.
  2. EricF

EricF Well-Known Member

I'm running Windows XP Professional
  3. Thelo

Does this webpage say your webplayer is at least 3.5.0? If not, you might need to manually update it on that same page: http://unity3d.com/webplayer/
    bbobjs likes this.
  4. EricF

EricF Well-Known Member

It says 3.5.0f6

Thanks for looking into this! This kind of bug is exactly why I didn't become a programmer :)
  5. Fry

Fry Well-Known Member

Just won a 4p game and I did not get a gold medal for Grave. Might be due to the fact that there was a Sudden Death playoff - me and one other player were at 7, player C was at 8, player D died at ten. Player C lost the game at the same time as player D (working as intended? Too lazy to look up the rules for multiplayer). Several turns later, player B choked on gems and died, no medal for me. :(

I have noticed sometimes in multiplayer, people get denied the opportunity to countercrash at weird times. Not sure what causes it, but I think it might be related to Knockdown's "can't react" flag not getting cleared correctly.
  6. Proven

Proven Active Member

I just came to post about that problem in multiplayer: Player A crashes Player B, Player B chooses to pass on the choice of counter crashing, Player C isn't allowed the opportunity to counter crash instead. It's happened so often to me now that I haven't put much thought into what's causing it.

The other issue I've seen has come from Valerie's Chromatic Orb. Normally you play it and it asks you to pick which color arrow you want to play it off of, but after using Custom Combo the game doesn't give you a choice of using a black arrow if you have the other four colors also available.
  7. Atma

Atma Active Member

You don't ever want to use a Black Arrow if you can use a different color. The programming makes the same assumption.
  8. Proven

Proven Active Member

There was an edge case, and it lost my opponent the game. Thinking about it, it was probably with One-Two Punch and not Custom Combo.

Edit: I went to ask him and he said he was making some other mistake that turn. Chromatic Orb not doing what he expected just flubbed up his decision making more. Dropped.
  9. rabid_schnauzer

rabid_schnauzer Well-Known Member

Just had a Perse vs Zane match where two bugs came up - I think these might already have been reported, but they are still bugs:

Firstly, using Mistress's Command to play Maximum Anarchy does not get Perse the arrows - neither on the turn she does so nor on her following turn.

Secondly, Mixmaster causes the opponent's Combinatorics to be discarded even at pile heights where it should stay in play.
  10. NidoKing

NidoKing Active Member

Just came to report this as well, Mix-Master momentarily causes a gem to be taken out of the gem pile while it's being split in the animation, and Combinatorics gets discarded.
  11. MarvinPA

MarvinPA Member

This bug still seems to occur, was (unavoidably!) cheating a fair amount with it today. :(
  12. Star Slayer

Star Slayer Well-Known Member

Yes, the Mix-Master and Color Panic bugs are quite annoying.

Had a weird thing happen to me in the last game (thoug it didn't affect game play in any way): I played Riposte's main, then a puzzle chip (sadly forgot which one, only know that it was a brown colored ender) immediately afterwards - with less a second between the two actions, so that Riposte wasn't quite on the table top yet when I played the puzzle chip. This led to Riposte and the puzzle chip visually switching places (so that Riposte was displayed behind the ender, even though I played it before said ender), then switch places again after a second or so.
  13. halfassured

halfassured New Member

Doesn't any kind of combining at 6 pile cause the Combinatorics bug?
  14. Eji1700

Eji1700 Well-Known Member

UI changes that really need to happen-
    1. Timer more visible/gives warning when low.
    I don't know how many times i've made a bad move becuase time ran out because i was explaining something to someone and forgot how much time i had left. An audio warning on the last bar would be preferred.

2. Undo button needs to be more obvious.
    A lot of people i play aren't even aware you can undo moves. It's important when you're learning and it's hidden in an evil dark area.

3. MOVE THE BUY WOUND BUTTON. Lag happens, that's cool, but nothing is more strategy shattering than accidentally double clicking the buy button during lag and totally missing your buy phase because you bought a wound instead. Make it another letter as well.
    Star Slayer likes this.
  15. Thelo

2012-04-25 update:
    Referrals, game invites, Facebook, game page bottom bar:

- Friend referrals. By clicking on the "N friends recruited" part of the new bottom bar on the game page, you can get a recruitment link to fantasystrike.com. If someone makes an account on fs.com using that link, and gets to Master 1 in any game, you get a recruitment bonus of 3200 gold, the price of a Yomi or PS character.

- Alternatively, you can click on any friend in the new Facebook Friends tab on the game page to get the option of sending them a recruitment link directly from Facebook. This works the same way: anyone signing up from there who gets to Master 1 gets you 3200 gold. The bottom bar counts the number of friends recruited that way (i.e. the number of times you won the 3200 gold recruitment bonus).

- This new Facebook Friends tab shows whether your friends are online or not (and their fs.com name, if they're already on fs.com), and also lets you send them a direct game invite if they have a fs.com account. When they click on your game invite link, they'll load the game page and immediately enter your current game. (If your game has a password, they still have to type that password.)

- You can also copy-paste a game invite link directly from the settings pane (gear icon) during a match.

- The bottom bar also has more helpful things: your Gold amount, your current Quick Match rank, the language selection flags, the download progress bar, and the general mute button.

- Note that because of the new Facebook friends list feature, the next time you log to fs.com through Facebook, you'll be asked to confirm permission to look at your friends' online presence (only happens once - we only use this to display your friends' status to you)

Puzzle Strike:
    - Fixed Dragon Form single counter-crashes being counterable
    - Fixed chip images (minor wording fixes) for: Stunlock, Pick your Poison, Ebb or Flow, Self-Improvement
    bbobjs likes this.
  16. Thelo

I've updated to the latest version of Unity webplayer (3.5.1f2) with today's update, it's advertised as being more stable, perhaps this will help?
    bbobjs likes this.
  17. halfassured

halfassured New Member

The game no longer loads for me unless I whitelist facebook.net in Noscript. IMO this should not be necessary unless you actually want to use Facebook interaction features. Liking the UI changes, though!
  18. JohnnySmash

JohnnySmash Active Member

I just wanted to make a suggestion - I was watching my friend play the tutorial and at the part where it tells you to click the "red x" to see the opponent's discard pile, he clicked the red x in the top right corner and exited the tutorial and that was like 3/4th of the way through. Maybe at least in the tutorial change it to an "exit" button or something?
  19. MarvinPA

MarvinPA Member

Oh god please this.
  20. halfassured

halfassured New Member

Moving the buy wound button would be nice, but even if the buttons just changed state to guarantee that they had registered the click and would be resolving eventually, that'd be a great help.
  21. Thelo

How is your Noscript configured? It's supposed to be able to work without any connection to Facebook at all, but I admit I didn't test with script blockers.

Edit: Nevermind, I found the problem - will push a fix shortly.

Edit 2: There, the game page should now work even if you have facebook.net script-blocked.
    bbobjs likes this.
  22. Thelo

Do you have a replay showing this? I can't seem to reproduce this at the moment - in my testing, MC-played Anarchy does give Perse the arrows on her turn (more specifically, when MC finishes resolving and she gets back to her action phase).
    bbobjs likes this.
  23. halfassured

halfassured New Member

Thanks, Thelo, that solved the whitelisting issue perfectly.
  24. Thelo

Do you (or anyone else) have a replay showing this? I've tried to reproduce this, but can't get it to happen.
    bbobjs likes this.
  25. rabid_schnauzer

Just tried again vs puzzlebot and got the arrows - multiple times.
  26. Thelo

2012-04-28 update:
    - Fixed several issues with conceding or quitting 3P / 4P games
    - Fixed Mistress's Command effect not always being correctly cleared
    - Fixed 3P / 4P purple shield reactions being incorrectly skipped
    - Fixed Puzzlebot ignoring Maximum Anarchy arrows
    - Fixed Color Panic victims incorrectly auto-discarding chips when there's only one of the named color
    - Fixed Combinatorics getting incorrectly discarded for victims of Mix-Master
    bbobjs, Star Slayer and Inkstud like this.
  27. ApolloAndy

ApolloAndy Well-Known Member

Does Mixmaster still trigger reactions on opps. with no gems to split?
    Also what's the official ruling on improv. timing? Is ir draw, play, draw, play or draw, draw, play, play.
  28. EricF

EricF Well-Known Member

That update did not fix whatever the issue is, as it is still occurring.
  29. skies

skies Active Member

I would like it if when you match-make and hit "practice against Puzzlebot" the room would default to a random bot and your character selection is the one you have already picked for matchmaking. That way I can just start the game to warm up instead of all sorts of selecting things first.

I like if I could match-make with 'random' which just randomly picks a character I have accessible. This option exists in custom game, and I would like it in ladder as well. It could pseudo-randomly select one of my characters based on the level of the opponent even.
  30. skies

skies Active Member

Mixmaster always triggers reactions in my games (did last night anyway).

It's draw play, draw play. The repeated jabs interaction is deliberate.
  31. ApolloAndy

But the FAQ entry seems to suggest it's draw, draw, play, play.

For the main action, you draw and reveal two
    chips. If one or both are gems, you have to discard
    those without any benefit. For non-gems drawn
    this way, you must play them and playing them
    doesn’t cost an action. You play them one at a time,
    in the order they were drawn.
  32. MarvinPA

MarvinPA Member

That's a bug in the online version, I think - it's not supposed to do so if the pile only contains [1]s.
  33. ApolloAndy

Yeah. Sirlin has said that if the pile only contains [1]'s, you shouldn't be able to blue shield.
  34. Dasilodavi

Dasilodavi New Member

This is a small one, but could be important to fast timed matches.

It seems if you buy a chip during the buy phase, click undo, and try to buy another, it puts up the zoomed-in version of the bank instead. Clicking away and retrying works, so it's not a big deal.
  35. Thelo

2012-05-03 update:
    Fixed Mix-Master so that you can't react to it when your gempile's biggest gem is a [1]
    bbobjs and Star Slayer like this.
  36. Turbo164

Turbo164 Well-Known Member

37. Thelo

Whoops! I've just pushed a hotfix for Mix-Master, that should fix the issue. Thanks for the report!
    bbobjs and Turbo164 like this.
  38. Fry

Fry Well-Known Member

/random can be faked in chat, maybe have Natorbot reply with the results of the roll instead? Possibly add /roll as a synonym for the same command

Still seeing cases of spurious gems in gem pile. If you hadn't seen reports of this before: sometimes when you combine gems, there will be graphics for two of the new, bigger gem in the gem pile, though the pile size is still correct. The fake gem still moves around in the pile if you crash things around it, as if it was there. When you get rid of the real gem (either by combining or crashing) the fake goes with it.
  39. Star Slayer

Yep, noticed the "ghost gem", too. Both in my pile and in the opponent's. It seems that only one player can see it though.
  40. CrystalChaos

CrystalChaos Moderator Staff Member

Sometimes more than one can see it I think (spectator at least).
  41. Star Slayer

Yeah, it seems to be inconsistent. Lately, I've been asking my opponents if they can see the ghost gem, too, and they said they couldn't. I remember games were we both were like "LOL, look at that glitchy gem pile" though.

I am not sure, but is it possible that it happens when you take two actions that manipulate the gem pile in very short order? Dropping the second gem pile altering effect on the tabletop when the gems are still blinking from the previous one?
  42. Turbo164

Turbo164 Well-Known Member

I've seen it about 4 times in the past week; two of them were definitely "combine, then do something while the combine animation is still going", the other two had a long pause between actions and the combine itself was enough to glitch. Two of them the opponent said they could not see.
  43. Proven

Proven Active Member

I had it happen once to me two weeks ago. Person played a combine, but it was late and the game was playing extra laggy. I haven't seen it since so I've just related it to lag.
  44. Proven

Proven Active Member

Eh, double post, but actual bug report. Knockdown is bugged for multiplayer or I don't understand how it's supposed to work. http://www.fantasystrike.com/game/index.php#replay_game=1&replay_match_id=128817

On step 407, my final turn starts. On step 413 I play Knockdown on shirato to prevent him from crashing during this turn. On step 430 he's able to play a double crash gem in response to my crash on kneazle.

So, does Knockdown's text "Can't play reactions this turn" only apply if the person is being crashed against, or to anybody?
  45. Fry

Fry Well-Known Member

Feature request: when a bank stack is empty, show a "ghost" image of that chip in that spot, so we can quickly see what used to be there.
    PePeQu and Turbo164 like this.
  46. Fry

Fry Well-Known Member

Would be nice to know how many chips are in the stack removed by Into Oblivion (and which stack is removed vs which stack is just empty from having been bought out).

Had a weird match vs ApolloAndy, where he kept disconnecting (due to network issues on his end, I think). Anyway, on my screen, his timer ran out, and then I sat there for a while with nothing happening, then I got a message that he reconnected, and his timer restored to something like 1.2 bars. This happened multiple times on one turn. Is that intended behavior?
    PePeQu likes this.
  47. Star Slayer

Yesterday, one of my opponents disconnected multiple times and each time he came back, his clock was set to three full bars - even when he was on less than half a bar before. This kept happening and near the end, I was even suspecting that he used this glitch (?) on purpose to get more time to think (he played Persephone). Even if he didn't do it on purpose (Please don't regard this as an accusation!), I don't think that the timer should be set back to three full bars. Plus one bar, ok - to give you some time to readjust after a disconnect. Plus two and a half men bars? That seems excessive and abusable.
  48. ApolloAndy

^^On my screen it went down to 0 before giving me the blue screen of disconnect. But when I reconnected, it was back to 1.5 bars.
  49. rabid_schnauzer

Nitpick: The log states "PLAYERNAME activates Flagstone Tax" immediately after flagstone tax is played, regardless of pile height - this seems at best unnecessary and potentially giving an incorrect cue.
  50. Inkstud

Inkstud Well-Known Member

For all I know, this is the correct implementation, but this seems screwy to me:

When you use Persephone's Pleasure or Pain on an opponent, blue shield chips played as a reaction that have an "after you're attacked" clause will trigger before Pleasure or Pain has finished resolving completely. They trigger after the part about an opponent putting a wound in their bag or discarding a wound, and before the part where Persephone draws cards for wounds in discard.

A few examples where this mattered in recent games I've played:

Persephone uses P&P against Oni. Oni plays riposte. He discards a wound to avoid putting a wound in his bag, then returns the wound to his hand to prevent Perse from drawing.

Persephone uses P&P against Gloria, who has 2 wounds in her discard and no chips remaining in her bag. Gloria plays Self Improvement. She puts a wound in her bag, then draws three chips, shuffling her discard into her bag, and Persephone draws nothing.

Should chips really be able to resolve in between clauses of other chips? This seems strange and counterintuitive to me.