Online Puzzle Strike development thread

Discussion in 'Puzzle-Strike: Bag of Chips' started by Thelo, Dec 2, 2011.

1. Turbo164

Turbo164 Well-Known Member

iirc, Hundred Fist Frenzy also crashes between the wound and the draw. Counterintuitive as your examples, and matters if you aren't sure if you're going to draw another red/KD/combine and need to crash the [3] to stay alive instead of a [1] or whatnot.

Btw just glanced at the Guide section on the site to check the wording, and the Pleasure & Pain FAQ says the wound goes to Discard when it should go to Bag.

2. Bucky

Bucky Well-Known Member

I should not be prompted for a purple shield reaction if I have an empty hand and no crashes in the gem pile.

3. Inkstud

Inkstud Well-Known Member

Here's another Perse thing.

I Mistress' Commanded somebody, who reacted with an Improvisation. After I completed my MC, the game gave me a prompt allowing *me* to choose what chip he played off of his Improv.

I only had the opponent play one chip off of the Mistress' Command, if it matters.

4. Escher0

Escher0 New Member

I disagree. That gives information to the opponent about your hand and there are many situations where that would matter. If you are asked if you would like to respond and click no, they don't know if you decided not to or if you couldn't.

5. Fry

Fry Well-Known Member

If your hand is empty, you might as well reveal it to your opponent

Inkstud and Turbo164 like this.
  6. Inkstud

Geigerbot makes some really, really poor plays with that character chip that lets it search for a purple orb. Like it will be at 10 pile and search for a combine instead of a crash gem to save itself. I'm not positive but it seems to always value combines higher than crash gems, even in situations where doing so is obviously suicidal.

Actually that might be true of puzzlebot in general, because you also run into situations where you'll color panic purple a puzzlebot that is at 9 pile, and it will discard its crash rather than one of its two combines and die the next turn. But I thought the geigerbot thing was probably lower-hanging AI fruit.

7. rabid_schnauzer

rabid_schnauzer Well-Known Member

The issue with incorrect Option Select deletion from the stack is apparently more common than just extreme puzzlebot abuse edge cases:

http://www.fantasystrike.com/game/index.php#replay_game=1&replay_match_id=137266

Step 96-107, Maxwellius plays Chip Damage
    I reaction with Improv
    I discard 2 one gems
    via Improv reaction I play Option Select (target Improv for main)
    Which Draws Stolen Purples (he has no purples in hand) and Double Take (target Improv)
    Which Draws 1Gem and Chips for Free (which draws 2 chips, one of which I upgrade to Improv in discard) and the second iteration draws 1Gem and 1Gem

Then the Improv I just gained gets trashed incorrectly from discard (The Option Select as Improv and Doubletaken Improv which should get trashed at the end of reaction are on the table here).
    Then when my Improv chain ends, the Option Select and DoubleTaken Improv are trashed from the table to bank, but the Stoeln Purples, DoubleTake and CfF remain on the table as it reverts to the rest of Maxwellius's turn and are then cleaned-up into his discard. This results in a Quince with Double Take in his deck.

Here's the log for the relevant section:

8. Escher0

Escher0 New Member

Ah, I misunderstood, I'm sorry. I read that as empty of purples.

9. Inkstud

When you force Argagarg to play a protective ward on his own turn via Mistress' Command, it isn't discarded at the end of his action phase during the following turn; seems wrong based on the chip's wording.

Maybe also the case with Protective Wards played during your opponent's turn via Improv, I'd imagine.

10. Star Slayer

Star Slayer Well-Known Member

I showed a friend the Puzzle Strike online tutorial today and noticed that during the "scripted" part, the animations for crashing gems and combining gems were not working. Once the game becomes free choice, they are suddenly there.

And here is a very low priority nitpick: Puzzle Bot Lum seems to buy a Combine every X turns, which means that he makes not a very good use of his Panda's Bargain. He could buy a second Combine when he still hasn't replayed Bargain, but he waits a few turns instead. This means that he is discarding and replaying Bargain more often than it would be necessary. This basically costs him actions and draws.

11. rabid_schnauzer

When both Combinatorics and Protective Ward are in play, you can combine once per Combine without discarding a puzzle chip, merely by playing through the "are you sure?' warning.

Sadly, there is nothing in the wording of the chips to indicate that this is in anyway the intended interaction

12. Inkstud

I've gotten this three times today (all during games against puzzlebot):

Attached Files:

13. Thelo

Thelo Administrator Staff Member

2012-05-28 update 2:
    Fixed Puzzle Strike starting in rulesless mode for no reason (whoops.)

bbobjs likes this.
  14. Tortalius

Tortalius New Member

When playing Secret Move and then buying a purple (forcing it to be discarded) I cannot use piggie banks after buying things that round.

15. Matt_S

Matt_S Active Member

I have an issue when changing the bank chips. Because of my screen size, the top 3 buttons (variants of random chip selection) overlap with the purple area that shows the puzzle chips, and when I try to click one of those buttons, it will expand the bank to show all the chips rather than select that option.

16. Proven

Proven Active Member

I have this problem too. I get around it by finding a safe area to click and then hitting F11 to full screen. Then the purple area should be high enough that you can hit whatever buttons you need.

17. ApolloAndy

ApolloAndy Well-Known Member

With Perse, is there any way to indicate whether you're using AiC pigs or regular pigs when pigging chips?

18. ApolloAndy

When upgrading, with Sale Prices active, can the little blurb indicate the discount? Like, if you fork Sale Prices and then Chips for Free, can it say "Pick a bank chip of cost exactly 3 with a 1 discount"?

19. EricF

EricF Well-Known Member

I believe Perse always uses the AiC pigs when possible, and it is not possible to use other pigs first. It seems like quite a contrived situation where she would want fewer chips in her hand next turn. Maybe with a Now&Later, and not wanting to reshuffle?

20. CrystalChaos

CrystalChaos Moderator Staff Member

It is actually fairly common I think, to prevent a reshuffle.

21. Star Slayer

Star Slayer Well-Known Member

Another puzzle bot oddity: Bot is at 9 pile heigth (six 1-gems and one 3-gem) when I go heavy PyP on it. He discards every time... even his last two chips, which were Combine and Crash Gem. Naturally, it loses next turn.

22. Turbo164

My favorite bot suicide so far has been 10 pile, Fork + Training Day a 2gem into a 3gem, die with arrows remaining but a nice shiny hand.

23. ApolloAndy

Yeah. I've seen the bot discard crash at 9 pile before a combine or a bunch of other chips.

24. Inkstud

As far as I can tell, bot is programmed to react to PYP by always anteing unless it's at 6 pile (even with two wounds in hand) and then always discarding if it's at 6 or more, even if its last chip is a master puzzler.

25. skies

skies Active Member

The bot doesn't always buy another crash gem when you steal their starting crash with SP even when the bot has enough gem power to do so.

26. NidoKing

NidoKing Active Member

I was playing the bot and it discarded its chips multiple times to multiple PyPs. It was at 9 pile (so 10 on its turn). When it came down to its last 3 chips, it discarded its Crash Gem and something else and saved its Combine, then started the next turn with just 1 chip in hand (Combine) and died, where it would have survived if it hung onto the Crash

27. ApolloAndy

Maybe he's planning on going HFF with a string of JaS's. ;)

28. mrbuddha

mrbuddha New Member

Just encountered a weird bug. I was just playing as Gloria vs. Sets. He doubletook at Color Panic and I reacted with Improv. I then played OS and chose Improv. Played OS off the Improv and chose Improv. Played HT off the improv with no effect. Had to discard a crash for the 2nd CP. He bought a 1 gem. At the end of the turn my HT ended up in his discard and later was used against my crash.

Deeb starts their turn and antes a 1-gem
    Deeb plays Color Panic
    Deeb chooses purple
    - mrbuddha reacts to the attack with Saving Grace
    -- mrbuddha will draw 2 chips after the attack
    -- mrbuddha discards Double Crash Gem due to Color Panic
    mrbuddha draws 2 chips
    Deeb plays Color Panic
    Deeb chooses purple
    - mrbuddha reacts to the attack with Self-Improvement
    -- mrbuddha will draw 3 chips after the attack
    mrbuddha cannot discard a purple chip for Color Panic!
    Deeb gains +black
    mrbuddha reveals their hand: Option Select, 4-gem, 1-gem, 1-gem, Improvisation, Radiant Healing
    mrbuddha conceals their hand.
    mrbuddha draws 3 chips
    Deeb plays Double-take
    Deeb plays Color Panic twice from their hand
    Deeb chooses blue
    - mrbuddha reacts to the attack with Improvisation
    -- After the attack, mrbuddha will get to play a chip as if it was their turn
    mrbuddha cannot discard a blue chip for Color Panic!
    Deeb gains +black
    mrbuddha reveals their hand: Radiant Healing, Option Select, Double Crash Gem, Crash Gem, 4-gem, 3-gem, 1-gem, 1-gem
    mrbuddha plays Option Select by Improvisation
    mrbuddha targets Improvisation for Option Select.
    mrbuddha conceals their hand.
    mrbuddha draws 1 chip
    mrbuddha discards 1-gem
    mrbuddha draws 1 chip
    mrbuddha plays Option Select
    mrbuddha targets Improvisation for Option Select.
    mrbuddha draws 1 chip
    mrbuddha discards 1-gem
    mrbuddha draws 1 chip
    mrbuddha plays Healing Touch
    mrbuddha trashes Option Select
    mrbuddha trashes Option Select
    Deeb chooses purple
    -- mrbuddha discards Crash Gem due to Color Panic
    Deeb trashes Color Panic
    Deeb moves to the Buy phase with 0 gem power
    Deeb buys 1-gem
    Deeb discards 1-gem
    Deeb draws 1 chip
    Deeb refills their bag
    Deeb draws 6 chips
    mrbuddha starts their turn and antes a 1-gem
    [18:58] mrbuddha: lol you somehow ended up with my char chip
    mrbuddha plays Radiant Healing
    mrbuddha draws 1 chip
    [18:59] Deeb: whoa crazy
    mrbuddha plays Double Crash Gem
    mrbuddha crashes 1-gem and 1-gem
    mrbuddha sends 2 at Deeb
    Deeb reacts to the sent gems with Crash Gem
    Deeb countercrashes 1-gem
    mrbuddha moves to the Buy phase with 2 gem power
    mrbuddha buys The Hammer
    mrbuddha discards 1-gem
    mrbuddha discards 1-gem
    mrbuddha draws 2 chips
    mrbuddha refills their bag
    mrbuddha draws 4 chips
    Deeb starts their turn and antes a 1-gem
    Deeb plays Color Panic
    Deeb chooses blue
    -- mrbuddha discards Improvisation due to Color Panic
    Deeb plays Pick your Poison
    Deeb draws 1 chip
    mrbuddha antes 1-gem
    Deeb plays Color Panic
    Deeb chooses blue
    mrbuddha cannot discard a blue chip for Color Panic!
    Deeb gains +black
    mrbuddha reveals their hand: Double Crash Gem, 4-gem, 1-gem, 1-gem, 1-gem
    Deeb draws 1 chip
    mrbuddha antes 1-gem
    Deeb draws 1 chip
    mrbuddha antes 1-gem
    Deeb plays Speed of the Fox
    Deeb draws 1 chip
    Deeb moves to the Buy phase with 0 gem power
    Deeb buys 2-gem
    Deeb discards Double Take
    Deeb draws 6 chips
    Deeb refills their bag
    Deeb draws 2 chips
    mrbuddha starts their turn and antes a 1-gem
    mrbuddha plays Double Crash Gem
    mrbuddha crashes 1-gem and 1-gem
    mrbuddha sends 2 at Deeb
    Deeb reacts to the sent gems with Healing Touch
    - Healing Touch trashes a 1-gem from mrbuddha's gempile
    - Healing Touch trashes a 1-gem from Deeb's gempile
    Deeb draws 1 chip
    mrbuddha moves to the Buy phase with 2 gem power
    [19:00] mrbuddha: LOL
    mrbuddha buys Double Crash Gem
    [19:00] Deeb: haha

Akvo likes this.
  29. rabid_schnauzer

Pretty sure that's the same bug I noted in my prior post. There's an issue with incorrect option select trashing that does funny things to the resolution stack with Improv. I think it's related to the puzzlebot abuse edge case bug where if you use Sale Prices X-Copied Option Select strings involving Money for Nothing and Training Day to gain a [2] and train into an additional Option Select, the new Option Select also gets trashed at the end of the resolution stack.

30. AzureKima

AzureKima New Member

Encountered a bug today with Setsuki's double-use special chip and Recklessness. Gained 2 wounds, gained none of the 6 black arrows.

31. CrystalChaos

CrystalChaos Moderator Staff Member

When you Double-take a chip, it ends your turn, so you don't have any use for the arrows.

Turbo164 likes this.
  32. pakoito

pakoito New Member

I have a low-end netbook to play, and I can assess that the performance in the lobby is horrybly poor for some reason that scapes my understanding. Clicking a button is a feat, scrolling slows the stuff down to a crawl. Once in-game everything smoothens and runs correctly. I don't have the tools to make a more complete report or trace of what's happening in the VM, sorry.

33. rabid_schnauzer

Ran into the Improv MP bug today vs Leto.

He played MP, with the first chip selected as Dashing Strike and the second as Stolen Purples.
    I reacted to the Dashing Strike with Improv into my own MP.
    I was then allowed to select chips for MP.....to add to the end of his stack, so I could add chips he hadn't selected and Dashing Strike which had been executed, but I could not add Stolen Purples.
    Then I began resolving the chips he had selected starting with Stolen Purples.

34. Tortalius

Tortalius New Member

Ran into the same bug as Rabid. Improv response to a Master Puzzler's Red Attack chip and then the whole thing went to hell. The game plays it as one queue for master puzzler instead of the 2 different queues we need. It ended with my Improved one and he didn't get to finish out his and lost.

35. ApolloAndy

My God. How many times do you both get up to MP? I don't think I've seen that since the site went live.

36. Turbo164

I forget who this was against, but the bank had MP and Thinking Ahead, with some econ chips but no good kill chips; the game at one point went:

Me: Buy MP, discard, shuffle, draw MP
    Him: Buy MP, discard, shuffle, draw MP
    Me: cast MP, econ up, buy the third MP, put it on top of deck with TA
    Him: cast MP, econ up, buy the fourth MP, put it on top of deck with TA
    Me: cast the TA'd MP, econ up, buy the fifth MP, put it on top of deck with TA
    Him: cast the TA'd MP
    Me: cast the TA'd MP

:confused:

MP and Double Take both say "end YOUR action phase" but they end THE action phase if they are improv'd; the fact that they are also putting the MP'd chips in the wrong discard pile is what's really odd.

37. Inkstud

When you're buying a puzzle strike expansion character, there's some text saying "Expansion character--still being worked on" which seems incorrect at this point in time.

38. c_wraith

c_wraith Member

When Geiger plays R&D, the on-screen animation flashes what chip he's putting into his bag momentarily, even though it should be hidden.

39. Drinkdrawers

Drinkdrawers Active Member

Here's a fun one for you. I X-Copied Master Puzzler, and used it to play an X-Copy, which I used on a second MP in my hand. The second MP wouldn't let me play any of the same chips I used from the first MP.

But two MPs in one turn. Awesome.

-edit-

Nope, I was wrong. It only wouldn't let me play the chips that remained in the first MP's queue. I could play other chips that had already been resolved from the first MP.

40. ApolloAndy

Did you actually get to finish resolving the first MP? The endind of the second one should have immediately ended the first as well, right?

41. swordsman3003

swordsman3003 Well-Known Member

Can we get the ranks do something more interesting than just putting more "Grand" in front of Grandmaster?

42. Thelo

I'm open to suggestions, though to be honest, I initially thought that reaching Grandmaster at all would be really rare, and post-Grandmaster ranks even rarer.

bbobjs likes this.
  43. Turbo164

Grandmaster
    Grandmaster 2
    Grandmaster 2 Turbo
    Super Grandmaster 2
    Super Grandmaster 2 Turbo
    Super Grandmaster 2 Turbo HD Remix
    Daigo

44. swordsman3003

Honestly I think Grandmaster 2, 3, etc would look prettier. The bottom of the screen says that, the info bar thingie.

45. NidoKing

NidoKing Active Member

Should Improvisation really draw and resolve chips one at a time? (current online implementation) Like draw one (resolve action) draw again (resolve action). Going by the FAQ and the way the chip is printed, it sounds like you should draw two first (per the chip), THEN resolve actions (in the order they were drawn, per the FAQ).

Sometimes there is a decision to be made on the first chip drawn and it matters. Like in the case of Vendetta's Acrobatics. What if I Improv Acrobatics and then Improv Draw Three. The knowledge that I am going to draw three more chips might have an effect on which colors I choose for Acrobatics.

46. ApolloAndy

The most obvious place where that matters is improving Repeated Jabs for the first draw. The current implementation (and what a lot of players swear is correct) allows you to play it, top it, and play it a second time on the same Improv. I read it the same way you did, NidoKing. I think you should draw both, then play the first.

47. NidoKing

NidoKing Active Member

I think that's a neat and clever trick, and I actually think drawing them one at a time is cooler because it's more tense in a tight situation.

But I do think it's important to follow the rules, especially when they're reinforced by the FAQ. And the rules say to resolve things in the order they are listed on the chip, and the very first thing on Improv is +(chip)(chip).

And then the FAQ is really clear on it IMO:

"For the main action, you draw and reveal two chips. If one or both are gems, you have to discard those without any benefit. For non gems-drawn this way, you must play them and playing them doesn't cost an action. You play them one at a time, in the order they were drawn."

48. swordsman3003

I think you're right, I think you draw the chips first and then resolve them.

49. Thelo

What is your alternate mouse, exactly?

bbobjs likes this.
  50. NidoKing

NidoKing Active Member

Another online Improvisation implementation that doesn't match the chip text:

Improvisation (reaction) says you may play another chip from your hand as if it were your turn. However, the online game gives you no option to "pass" and not play an action after the attack is over (forces you to play something if you can)

Besides maybe obscure bluffing situations with Color Panic or something, the best example I can think of where this matters is VS Vendetta's Surgical Strike. He attacks you, you Improv hoping to get a chance to play lets say Draw Three. He forces you to discard Draw Three. Only action chip left in your hand is Stolen Purples. Maybe you don't want to play it yet, but the online game makes you