Online Puzzle Strike development thread

Discussion in 'Puzzle-Strike: Bag of Chips' started by Thelo, Dec 2, 2011.

1. Does the server track statistics such as how often each chip is purchased, and if so is there somewhere to view the stats? Super detailed stuff like "Character X buys Chip Y when it is in the bank 80% of the time in the first three turns" would be ideal, but just raw data showing "# of times a chip was available in a bank, # of times it was purchased" would be great too. Seems like something that would be valuable for balance testing purposes.

2. Aesa

Aesa Well-Known Member

I just encountered a strange bug where my opponent disconnected right before my QM game began making me play a 1v0 game, which gave me a victory and 800 gold after my action phase. After a couple minutes of rematching, I am proud to declare that I am the 1% in FantasyStrike.

3. Thelo

Thelo Administrator Staff Member

2011-12-10 update:

- Fixed a delay of several seconds on connecting
    - Another fix to Remember Me
    - Fixed in-game profiles from other players not showing game stats for PS characters

Yomi and PS:
    - When you run out of timer on three game turns in a row, you auto-concede with no gold gain.

PS:
    - Fixed not being able to rejoin PS quick matches
    - Fixed Store displaying your first bought character as always available to buy
    - Fixed QM rematch disallowing expansion bank chips

bbobjs likes this.
  4. rabid_schnauzer

rabid_schnauzer Well-Known Member

Found one.

I was in a matchmaking room, playing against the bot, having minor lag, when two other players tried to join but then left repeatedly - this somehow left me in a three player match where I was the only player in the room, I "won" at the end of my action phase, gaining 600 gold, and I could rematch to win at the end of my next action phase repeatedly. 12600 gold later, I closed the window, sadly losing the event log which might help you track this down.

5. Fry

Fry Well-Known Member

6. Wobberjacky

Wobberjacky Well-Known Member

The second one happened a lot to me last night. Dropping chips, moving to new phases, and confirming actions with the interface buttons all sometimes had a several second delay. It was sporadic, but often enough to be a bother.

7. Thelo

Yesterday specifically, the server had a huge lockup that caused a ton of lag. I fixed some things about it, but let me know if you still see that kind of crazy multi-second lag.

bbobjs likes this.
  8. Fry

Fry Well-Known Member

Multiplayer QM rematch is not optimal...only option you have is New Character and it has to be base game characters only. IMO there should be just one Rematch button for multiplayer games, and if everyone agrees it should take you to a custom game

9. Thelo

2011-12-12 update:

Puzzle Strike:
    - When someone quits a QM early or auto-concedes from timing out 3 turns in a row, they are barred from entering matchmaking for 5 minutes.
    - Fixed QM games starting with Panic Time already activated if you activated it against the bot while waiting
    - Fixed rank not getting displayed in the prematch screen for expansion characters
    - Radiant Healing autopasses the trash step when you publicly have no puzzles in hand or bag
    - Fixed rematching QMs against nobody
    - Fixed getting kicked out of QM rematch character select screen when someone else does anything
    - Updated Puzzle Strike chip backs to use the real green logo

bbobjs likes this.
  10. Fry

Fry Well-Known Member

There should be some kind of thing on the screen when I am being controlled by someone else. In the internet you can't hear the Perse player's evil cackle.

"Are you sure" text when you attempt to play a useless Mistress' Command does not match current chip text

11. bbobjs

bbobjs Well-Known Member

Weird completely irrelevant bug:
    In Custom Match, if Dashing Strike is selected, choosing any of the preset banks (First Game, No Attacks, Lots of Attacks, Combo Crazy or Master Puzzler) will leave it selected. It doesn't really matter since you can't confirm a bank with 11 chips and preset banks aren't really used anyway... but it's weird that only Dashing Strike causes this behavior.

12. I'm guessing the answer to this is no?

13. Kdansky

Kdansky Banned

I recently saw the bot using a lot of Ebb and Flows, and always going for the "Ante a 2" choice, including doing so when he was at above 10 gems and promptly dying to it.

Another one: I got my Mix Master reacted to by Really Annoying, and reacted to it with another RA. And I didn't have a wound in my discard afterwards?

In others: Can we have bigger buttons? They are tiiiny for no reason.

14. Lacyon

Lacyon New Member

RA puts wounds in your bag, doesn't it?

15. matt.lashof

matt.lashof Active Member

One of the changes I really liked from the UI mockup a little while ago was the change from the current system of picturing all the arrows, with numbers for how many you have, to just picturing whatever arrows you have (so if you have black, red there'd be a picture of black arrow, red arrow right in the middle of the screen where it is noticeable. This could also be done for pigs, money, and even Zane's Puzzarrow.

Any thoughts on implementing something like this?

16. CrystalChaos

CrystalChaos Moderator Staff Member

Sometimes when I switch from Puzzle Strike to Yomi or vice versa the full games/available games tabs do not update immediately (takes around ten seconds sometimes).

17. Fry

Fry Well-Known Member

PePeQu mentions having a problem seeing the timer "with that background"

18. Fry

Fry Well-Known Member

19. Thelo

The server indeed doesn't have stats at that fine of a level.

Really Annoying puts a wound in your bag, not in your discard.

bbobjs likes this.
  20. CrystalChaos

There should probably be a warning that you're going to trash combinatorics if you play another combine, as people trash them accidentally on a fairly regular basis.

21. Kdansky

Kdansky Banned

I have a slightly more complex suggestion on UI: How about having different zones in the play area to play chips into? For example, it annoys me greatly that I have to click buttons every time I combine. Couldn't the playing field be divided, and depending on where you drop it, other combining happens? Am I clear? Something like showing four huge boxes in the center area, with (1+1) (1+2) (1+3) (2+2) written in them, and when you drop the combine there, you get that effect. If something does not make any sense (for example, you don't have a 2), then just display the same thing like on the one to the left. Always keep the order the same, then people will be able to memorize it.

The same holds true for any "OR" chip: Upper half of the field -> first option, lower half -> second option.

It might also help if played and completed chips would give up some space, by for example shrinking or stacking. I don't need to have three giant roundhouses visible after they have resolved.

Lastly: A way to shrink the header of the page, to get more screen space for the game.

Is Money for Nothing supposed to resolve BEFORE Pilebunker? Shouldn't I get the 3 afterwards?

22. matt.lashof

It doesn't say "After you're attacked", so yeah, it happens before. Kinda sucks against PB, though maybe still worth it if you have another big gem already in hand.

23. rabid_schnauzer

rabid_schnauzer Well-Known Member

I'm having a minor difficulty choosing a random expansion only bank when playing on my notebook - the box overlaps on the bank on the 10.1" screen so when I click the button for random bank (expansion) I get the expanded view of chips currently in the bank and sometimes also a new expansion bank.

And while I'm quibbling about minor interface stuff, recent lag has reminded me that the "You still have chips you can play, are you sure you want to end your turn?" and "are you sure you want to buy a wound?" and "don't react" really should be in slightly different areas of the screen - I'm still missing buys and the occasional countercrash/reaction during lag.

24. Fry

Fry Well-Known Member

agreed on all points

25. Gruffalo

Gruffalo New Member

I had a bug today in a matchup between Gwen and Setsuki. Gwen played Shadowswarm, I responded with Improvisation. We resolved the Shadowswarm and then I played Double Take on Repeated Jabs, passing both times. After that the game hung and wouldn't move on. My timer ran out but the turn didn't pass over.

26. Thelo

2011-12-17 update:
    - Some updates to the game page's look
    - Fixed Quit Game button getting disabled on Firefox
    - Fixed a few QM bugs

Puzzle Strike:
    - Updated six chips: Playing with Fire, Dragon Form, Training Day, Ouch!, Always in Control, Crash Bomb

bbobjs likes this.
  27. Inkstud

Inkstud Well-Known Member

Site's looking a lot better. Kudos!

28. Inkstud

Inkstud Well-Known Member

Vendettabot doesn't know to take my only crash gem when I have 9 in my gem pile and he uses surgical strike on me.

29. Aesa

Aesa Well-Known Member

Ooooh sexy interface. I suggest getting rid of the "tabs" for available and full matches and just sort them so full matches are always at the bottom. We can figure it out based on if the "join" button is lit up and if it says 2/2.

30. Aesa

Aesa Well-Known Member

[11:48] -AryanEnigma-: helllo
    [11:49] -AryanEnigma-: i apologise some buttons wont appear
    [11:49] -AryanEnigma-: i cant clcik ready?

Still couldn't click ready after a 3rd guy joined the game.

31. Aesa

Aesa Well-Known Member

Another report:

In custom game, I hit random (after another game), then I disappeared from the room- I could still chat in it but I wasn't there.

32. Thelo

I've just made a fix for this bug, let me know if you still have that problem.

bbobjs likes this.
  33. CrystalChaos

When I try to delete a replay, the game locks up with a darkened screen.

Attached Files:

34. Thelo

Which browser is this? And does anyone else have that problem?

bbobjs likes this.
  35. CrystalChaos

Chrome.

Edit: Clicking on the darkened area fixes it (from sirlin chat).

36. Kdansky

Kdansky Banned

Yeah, chrome is highly erratic. I'm using FF just for PS. ;)

37. Kdansky

Kdansky Banned

Found another issue: The bot doesn't buy a new crash if you trash his (and prefers to buy an Axe Kick or Roundhouse), and then promptly dies because he cannot get rid of his gems anymore.

38. Turgid

Turgid Member

Jainabot crashed my Grave and I couldn't countercrash. I had a 1-gem in pile, and Reversal and a Crash in hand. I ended up with 3 1-gems in pile and she had 0.

Code:
    Puzzlebot starts their turn and antes a 1-gem
    Puzzlebot plays Crash Gem
    Puzzlebot crashes 1-gem at Turgid
    Turgid receives 1 1-Gem to their gempile
    Puzzlebot moves to the Buy phase with 1 gem power
    Puzzlebot buys Combine
    Puzzlebot discards Playing with Fire
    Puzzlebot draws 5 chips
    Edit: In my latest replay you can see it on step 7/8. It didn't actually wait for me to respond to the crash.

39. Alhazard

Alhazard Active Member

Can you please think about shortening the early concede match timer for PS? Like I played 6 full games and at least 5 of them ended as early concede.

40. CrystalChaos

Or just allow concedes at 9+ gem pile.

41. Thelo

2011-12-19 update:
    Puzzle Strike:
    - Updated Jackpot (Lum brown): Reveal two chips at random from any opponent's hand. If any are [], +[chip] +[black]. If both are [orb], play and gain an [orb] from the bank.
    - Updated Maximum Anarchy (Zane purple): All players discard their hands, then draw that many chips. Each player may play a puzzle chip on his turn. You may play Crash Potato from hand.
    - Updated Into Oblivion (Menelker brown): Remove a [puzzle] bank stack from the game. If a stack was previously removed, return it to the game.
    - Updated Combine (4 purple orb): No black arrow. You may play a [crash] or [puzzle].

bbobjs likes this.
  42. Polari

Polari Well-Known Member

Puzzlebot just got stuck on deciding which gems to combine.

43. Thelo

Whoops, my bad. Thanks for the report.

Edit: This should be fixed now.

bbobjs likes this.
  44. HappyNihil_

HappyNihil_ New Member

The new combine doesn't seem to work properly with crash gems from Iron Defense.
    Tested against bots only.

edit:
    Tested against an opponent as well.

You cant play crash gem from your gem pile after you play combine.

45. ryzol

ryzol Member

On a mac laptop I can't right click so I can't zoom in on the bank. Running firefox 6.02. I tried control + click, but that does nothing.

46. matt.lashof

Mouse-over and hold space-bar.

47. ryzol

ryzol Member

I'm an idiot. Thanks.

48. Fry

Fry Well-Known Member

it's a bit weird to watch replays of old games from when chips were different (cough Combine cough) but still see the "new" images. Probably unavoidable?

49. Alhazard

Alhazard Active Member

I have mentioned this again but could you think of using one LMB or even double-clicking LMB to play chips? It gets tiring to drag and drop.

50. Fry

Fry Well-Known Member

quince vs arg: i played Two Truths, and arg selected a Draw Three for me to play while he had Protective Ward up. Good play by arg, dumb play for me, would be nice if there was a message though so I would know why I wasn't drawing my three chips