Online Yomi development thread

Discussion in 'Yomi: Fighting Card Game' started by Thelo, Dec 2, 2011.

1. Scarbo

Scarbo Well-Known Member

Were you slowed? (Lum slows you if he gets J, Q, or K on Roll the Dice.)
  2. brainof7

brainof7 Member

Hmmm. I'm pretty sure I wasn't, but I could be mistaken. That is honestly probably the most likely case however. I'll look out for it again
  3. Fourth

Fourth New Member

For the characters that are implemented, the rules are pretty solid. In my experience I've never seen it get anything wrong. However, the interface can be difficult to follow when it comes to some of the more specific interactions. I remember when a buddy of mine was utterly convinced that Rock Armor was bugged. My guess is he was playing against Sets or Geiger and getting comboed into knockdown without noticing it.

In order to avoid confusion, one has to either pay very, very close attention at all times, or simply know the game well enough to begin with. I have the advantage of owning a physical copy that I have played and studied for hours upon hours, but the free-to-play people interested in giving the game a shot won't have that...

I foresee a lot of confusion from new players on the horizon. I wonder if it may be a good idea to have a reference for each character readily available in the game itself. I'm aware that these already exist in wikis, but I'm not sure people will have the patience or the attention span to seek them out. :\
  4. garcia1000

garcia1000 World Champion Staff Member

What about more info in game log?
    E.g. "Rock Armor could not trigger because Rook was hit by an ace attack." "Rock Armor could not trigger because Rook was knocked down."
    NoahTheDuke likes this.
  5. Scarbo

Scarbo Well-Known Member

Martial Mastery revealed XXXXX...
  6. Choke Artist

Choke Artist Well-Known Member

Scarbo was hit because he tried to block an even attack with an odd block while knocked down. Silly Scarbo.
    NoahTheDuke likes this.
  7. CrystalChaos

CrystalChaos Moderator Staff Member

Did +1 more damage (Moral High Ground, Temporal Distortion).
  8. Scarbo

Scarbo Well-Known Member

Makes panda sad (RtD Joker).
    Turbo164, Fourth and NoahTheDuke like this.
  9. deluks917

deluks917 Yomi League 1 Champion

Can you play yourself in Yomi (obv not on ladder)?
  10. CrystalChaos

Sometimes if I try to spectate a game and click the watch button twice, the game says something like "user is already in this room", and I get stuck in the lobby of that game (with players visible, but no gameplay).
  11. Dr_Mr_Stark

Dr_Mr_Stark New Member

I was recently in a draw, i was at 8 and he at 1, double Graves Q, and that was the end of the game. To my surprise we both got 10 gold as if we both lost. I am aware of the decision to make draws award 10 to both players, but, unless it's been explained else where, could anyone point me to the reasoning behind 10 gold each? If 30 is given to the winner and 10 to the loser, where does the other 20 gold go? It was very difficult to make the come back I did, even though it ended in a double KO, but I still felt like I lost. Why not 20 to both players? The 40 gold usually given out per game doesn't get increased and both players don't get 30, but they shouldn't feel like losers either since they still made the KO.

Edit: Also, and I'm not sure if this is the right place to mention it, but recently a computer Valerie used two of her 7 abilities when she used a throw and I had already won with an attack. Just kinda tossed them away. Weird.
    Kontergurke likes this.
  12. two_eyes

two_eyes Active Member

Yomibot is seriously dumb. I've seen CPU val 7 off a block. It just plays randomly.
  13. Aphotix

Aphotix Well-Known Member Staff Member

I actually prefer the yomi bot to be complete shit.
    dereferenced likes this.
  14. deluks917

Is there any info about the rating formula. I lost 5% each when I lost 3 times but got 20% when I won 2x. I have no idea why this sort of thing happens and don't get the formula (I'm master 8).

edit: started losing like 30+% per loss which makes sense
  15. Thelo

Thelo Administrator Staff Member

As a master, the amount you win or lose depends on the rating of your opponent - the higher rated your opponent is, the more rating you can expect to gain.
    bbobjs likes this.
  16. CrystalChaos

I think the tutorial does not say what to do in the joker/bluff phase.
  17. E35711

E35711 New Member

to switch viewing available/full matches requires clicking on the bar which then moves. a bar that stays in one place but toggles would be a bit more convenient. a minor problem to be sure, but thought id make the suggestion.
  18. ingerul9

ingerul9 New Member

Is the replay issue gonna get fixed anytime soon? I would like from time to time to rewatch some of my games.
  19. UlyZed

UlyZed Active Member

I just Q'd Lum with the 4 speed slower effect on.

He dodged.

I glimpsed.

I lost combat!

I lost by 20 odd life.

I lost 34% off my Master 10 rating.

Seeing as though this is live, and people pay money for this, do I get that rating back?

*Please PM me when thread is updated. Last time I got no reply.
  20. brainof7

brainof7 Member

Is there any way to make a knowing the opponent Q give you a an additional message on pass like searching for As does if you try to pass it. I have accidently hit pass about 3 or so times
  21. deluks917

^happens to if I'm on tilt alot.
  22. Thelo

Sure, I'll add a warning on Knowing the Opponent.

---

I'm still looking into the replays issue, but that one is a doozy, I can't give an ETA yet.

---

There was indeed a bug that made Midori's dragon attacks dodgeable while he was slowed by Roll the Dice, I'll push the fix soon, thanks. I've added the gold difference from that match loss to UlyZed's account.
    bbobjs and NoahTheDuke like this.
  23. UlyZed

UlyZed Active Member

Don't worry about the Gold; it's not that I would have won for sure.

It's more that I might not have lost, so I want the ratings % back :). I'm playing for GM and that was a brutal hit. I feel as if that's the damage I suffered that should be restored.

However, I understand that might not be possible yet. If it could be something on your mountain of 'to-do's Thelo, that would be enough for me.
  24. Thelo

The ratings are based on Elo, a zero-sum system, so if I were to change your rating, I would have to also change your opponent's, which would be unfair. So I unfortunately can't do that.
    bbobjs likes this.
  25. UlyZed

UlyZed Active Member

We can't then just remove that game from the record?

I respect the amount of work you do here Thelo. If it can't be done, it can't be. However, it was an injurious blow I've suffered!
    NoahTheDuke likes this.
  26. Thelo

2012-03-12 update:

Yomi:

- Fixed QMs vs guests not awarding gold
    - Fixed Midori's dragon attacks being dodgeable while slowed by Lum's Roll the Dice
    bbobjs, UlyZed, Turbo164 and 3 others like this.
  27. Turbo164

Turbo164 Well-Known Member

Skimmed the Midori guide while waiting for a meeting to start, found two minor typos (I guess this is the best thread for this?)

Technically, Val 7 throw + 4 burst of speed can knock you out of it if you K. Very very rare, just hesitate using "guaranteed" when there's an exception lol.

52 damage, not 56.
  28. Thelo

2012-03-14 update:
    General:

- Tentative performance improvements to replays recording, re-enabled replays recording. Please let me know if you get more server lag than in the past few weeks, especially when there are many players on the server.
    bbobjs likes this.
  29. deluks917

Is there a way to cancel a quickmaatch game. If my opponent doesn't show I don't want to just beat them as they and card. However I also don't want to concede.
  30. Thelo

2012-03-18 update:
    Yomi:
    - Bigger choice buttons
    - Added hotkeys ZXCV for choice buttons
    - Timer flashes red when it goes under half a bar
    - New double-sized status icons (Knockdown, Bubble Shield, Dragon Form, etc.)
    - Warning for playing Midori humanform JQK while in dragon form
    - While doing a combo, the game reminds you of how many combo points you used so far
  31. CrystalChaos

The rank progress bar now overlaps the words saying what the progress is.
  32. vonsabrewulf

vonsabrewulf Member

so i like yomi a lot a friend of mine bougth the complete box set. He introduced me to the characters and the mechanics, and i did fairly well since i play figthing games. He told me about the online version and i figure id give it a try since i want to play with more people. The problem im facing now is that im wondering about the decks, i know its kinda like LoL where your free to play decks change weekly, but is there a way to just buy the online decks for your account so you always have them?
  33. Turbo164

Turbo164 Well-Known Member

At the top-right of this page should be a "Store" tab, which while logged into your account shows your gold (IP) and the Yomi Deck/Puzzle Strike characters you can purchase with it. That page also lets you spend real money on Gold (no RP here) which translates to $5 a character, or you can subscribe for $9 per month; each month you're subscribed, *all* characters of both games are available, and you'll also have access to special betas of upcoming games (none available right now, but Flash Duel and the secret customizable-but-no-randomized-booster-packs-to-waste-money-on-cards-you-dont-need-more-of card game are on their way at some point!).
  34. CrystalChaos

Yes you go to the store, the far right tab of the banner. You can earn gold through playing (30/win 10/loss 3200/character) or you can buy gold ($5/character) or you can buy subscription which unlocks all characters for all games ($9/month I think).
  35. cpat

cpat Active Member

KD symbol overlaps with the TD symbol (and presumably all the other ability symbols).
  36. vonsabrewulf

vonsabrewulf Member

thanks for the info
  37. Swiffle

Swiffle Active Member

Saw some of the new changes, looks pretty awesome.
    about "- While doing a combo, the game reminds you of how many combo points you used so far"
    This is a bit deceptive when hitting back after a dodge, as it still says, used 0 / x combo points, maybe a reminder of "You may hit back with any single attack or throw," like it says on the dodge side of the card would be cool
  38. Thelo

Whoops, somehow I actually forgot about dodges, can't combo, and enders. That's what I get for coding past my bedtime! I'll clear that up.

On the countered RtD shuffle, good catch! I'll fix.
    Can you post a screenshot of that? On my end, I can't get any of the icons to overlap...
    bbobjs likes this.
  39. CrystalChaos

They do if you play the game on less than full screen. Possibly also on low resolution.
  40. Ryker

Ryker Active Member

I can play as any character in a custom game. Doesn't matter if I own them or not.

It's Geigar/Arg free week. We were using one custom room for a match between two teams on Sunday. After game 1 ended, my teammate left the room and I joined in his place. Then his opponent left and my opponent joined. Double blind pick, so I told the host who I was playing. My opponent then selected his character. I was dealt a hand and allowed to play Jaina because that is who my partner was using. I didn't play it out because I was playing a different character, but the potential is still there.
  41. deluks917

Is there a way to implement double blind picking.
  42. Thelo

2012-03-20 update:
    Yomi:
    - Fixed the replay compilation problem that made recent replays unwatchable
    - Clarified combo description
    - Slightly improved combat phase gamelog (it now actually says what the combat cards are)
    - Fixed the bug where a revealed Roll the Dice card that was countered by Smoke Bomb stayed revealed even after a deck shuffle (from the powerup phase)
    bbobjs likes this.
  43. Acosta

Acosta Member

My friend came to me all excited about this one last night (this morning), and combined with the other usability updates I'm surprised sirlin doesn't slap it up on the front page as an announcement. Might be worth doing as a "check out our shiny new UI" update.
    Remy77077 likes this.
  44. CrystalChaos

The prompt for Ghost Riposte and Speed of the Fox dodges should say that you are allowed to play a full combo instead of only one attack or throw.
  45. Hamvvar

Hamvvar Member

So i'm just reporting an error--

The character select screen shows up fine, i chose one of the free characters, then went to do a quickmatch. The matchmaking worked, but then when the game started there were no cards just a blank grey page. My opponent's side seemed to be working fine but i couldnt see anything
  46. Hamvvar

Hamvvar Member

here's what i see when i try to play

Attached Files:

47. Thelo

The next time this happens, can you try toggling the "expand chat" arrow that's to the right of the room name twice? This may or may not fix the problem.

If it doesn't fix the problem, you could try using Google Chrome Canary.

Either way, I'd appreciate if you could tell us what worked or didn't work.
    bbobjs likes this.
  48. Scarbo

Scarbo Well-Known Member

Volcanya saw this same overlap, but Aesa did not. I have quality set to low, not sure what else might affect it.
    [​IMG]

Edit: Aesa said his was on low also. Also, both Aesa and I are on laptops, but he did not see overlap, and Volcanya said switching to full screen did not change it.
  49. vonsabrewulf

vonsabrewulf Member

once in a while i cant use rooks rock armor, and i've checked if i've gotten knocked down or not, it just wont give me the option to discard.

There was also another situation in wich i blue bursted a trow follow up, i avoided the damage but i was still knockdown by trow , even thougth it said vonsabrewulf has escaped the combo
  50. Aesa

Aesa Well-Known Member

1) You can't Rock Armor if you are hit by an Ace.

2) Blue burst does not prevent knockdowns.