PAX East

Discussion in 'Fantasy Strike' started by Sirlin, Feb 28, 2012.

1. Sirlin

Sirlin Steward of the Realm Staff Member

Who is going to PAX East in April?

There will be an official Yomi tournament there, on the schedule and everything. There will also be a Puzzle Strike tournament, which I think will take place friday morning at the beginning of PAX.

If you're able to help run the Yomi and/or Puzzle Strike tournaments, please let us know asap. Note if you have any familiarity with the swiss format or not, and if you're comfortable with the game rules for either / both games.

I'll point Game Salute to this thread, and I think you'll be coordinating with them. Really appreciate the help, thanks!

Edit: I just heard this from Game Salute:
    "We'll provide volunteer support with badge offsets, Game Salute store credit, and special status and bonuses based on how much they volunteer (4 hour shifts with folks able to volunteer just a bit or a whole bunch depending on their interest and availability. Have them email me directly at Salute@GameSalute.com with their name, phone number, experience, and game(s) they're interested in demoing."

Doesn't hurt to post here too.
    garcia1000 likes this.
  2. Claytus

Claytus Well-Known Member

I'll be there, but as an enforcer, and they don't assign the enforcer schedule until pretty close to the show. I guess I can't commit to anything, but if my schedule's open, I'll definitely drop by, I have plenty of experience running tourneys (though admittedly not much with swiss format specifically), and I know both games well.

Did Game Salute get some tables and are running this themselves, or is it actually on the schedule in the general tabletop area? If they don't mind answering, of course... since such information doesn't appear to be available yet. The post above makes it sound like the former? But if it's the latter, it might be slightly less impossible for me to assist while enforcing.
  3. Sirlin

Game Salute has an enormous booth with tables. But these are both official PAX events, so I assume they will be run in the general tabletop area. Would be great if you could assist, Claytus.
  4. Sirlin

So I haven't really heard from anyone else. Anyone out there going to PAX East? And would you like to help out with Sirlin Games? If so, here's a way to sign up to do that: GameSalute.com/Volunteer
  5. Claytus

Looks like it's all officially available info now.

PS is Friday noon, Yomi is Friday evening.

Which unfortunately means I probably can't help... that's sort of a weird/bad overlap of me probably only being around for the first half of PS, and the second half of Yomi at best.
  6. Sirlin

Oh you can't help, that's too bad. I've actually heard from no one at all, though I'm not sure if people signed up at GameSalute.com/Volunteer and didn't post here too.

I also see there is an HD Remix tournament on Friday, though I'm not sure how to sign up, if I need my stick, if it's on Xbox360, or what.
  7. Claytus

They don't allow sign-ups before the show, since PAX audience is pretty casual. But just walk over to the tourney area before the tournament starts, and they'll have sign-up sheets layed out. They cut-off signups roughly half an hour before the scheduled time. Things can fill up early, so you might want to check in Friday morning to be insured a spot... but that's usually only an issue with Halo/Smash/SFIV.

It will be on Xbox360, and if you want use a stick, you will need to supply it yourself.
  8. Logo

Logo Well-Known Member

With the way the convention was laid out, last year I was able to wander over to the tournament rooms before the convention actually opened and they started the sign-up there before the actual show floor/main area opened.

The way the center is laid out the big queue/line area is within the center and is for the expo floor and the big things like the keynote, but you can go all around the edges which are for the tournaments and talks.

So basically I was able to sign up and still go head to the line for the expo floor (though I think I would have stood little chance of getting to the keynote).

We were able to use brought keyboards/mice for the tournament, but that's PC of course.
  9. Lofobal

Lofobal Well-Known Member

I imagine it's too late for this, but a bunch of my friends who are going to this asked if there will be Flash Dueling going on, since it's their favourite of FD/PS/Yomi. The game seems pretty popular, so it'd be great if there were some event about it. Is there a possibility of this?
  10. Sirlin

There is no official Flash Duel tournament sponsored by PAX, but it should be playable in Game Salute area. Maybe players can come together to make an impromptu event somehow, I'm not really sure how the logistics of any of this work.
  11. Logo

Logo Well-Known Member

There's a giant area with about 100 tables that are just there for people to play card games of any sort. So you can easily go there and play whatever you want (provided you bring it, I'm not sure what they have there for people to use).
  12. Claytus

They have *a lot* of games stocked up there for people to check out and play. That said, most of the games they provide are just donated by volunteers for the weekend, so it's kind of random. If there's a specific game you want to play, best to bring it with you.
  13. mikedg

mikedg New Member

So any presence at Pax East 2013? I didn't see yomi or puzzle strike on the schedule :(
  14. rabid_schnauzer

rabid_schnauzer Well-Known Member

Well, some of the folks I know from Obscure Games will be there repping Game Salute products. Sadly, my work schedule didn't permit me to join them.

For 2014, I might have enough vacation time to consider one of PAX East, Origins or Dragon Con.