Polarity Hunt 3

Discussion in 'Forum Games' started by bbobjs, Mar 12, 2012.

1. bbobjs

bbobjs Well-Known Member

Polarity Hunt 3
    Polarity Hunt 3 is a forum based Mafia variant designed Prime Intellect.

Basic Rules:
    17 players are divided among two Factions; 12 Town players (the uninformed majority) and 5 Witch players (the informed minority). If no players of a particular Faction have the authority to post in the public topic at the end of a Phase, that Faction has lost and the remaining faction has won.

Each player is given a unique role with varying abilities and degrees of influence over various aspects of the game at various gamestates. Each role also has one of 3 Polarities (Positive, Negative or Neutral) Your goal as a player is to use public information, private information, game mechanics and deception to influence the game and players in ways that give your Faction the highest chance of winning. It's unlikely that optimal moves will ever be obvious until extremely late game so think carefully, consider all options and make the best of what you're given. When in doubt mechanics questions may be directed to me either through the public topic or any private or semi-private QT (Quick Topic). Questions of a non-mechanical nature can be asked in the public topic or a semi-private QT, but before asking one be aware of who will see the question, the potential answer and the extent to which you can trust the players answering it.

Game Flow:
    The game is divided into two Phases; Day and Night. Day ends either when the time expires or a Lynch vote is locked, Night ends when time expires. When Day ends it becomes Night, when Night ends it becomes Day. The start of Day is the start of a Cycle and the end of Night is the end of a Cycle. Every 3rd Cycle is a Revival Cycle. A special Dawn or Dusk phase may be used to resolve timing issues when/if it's needed.

Cycle 1 [Day->Night]-> Cycle 2 [Day->Night]-> Cycle 3 [Revival Day->Revival Night]
    If a Dusk or Dawn Phase is used it'll look like this [Dawn->Day->Dusk->Night]

All Phases will be marked with a Phase end post in the Public Topic. No Phase will officially start until the Phase end post for the previous Phase has been made. The Phase end post will contain the time at which the current phase expires.

The game starts on "Cycle 1 - Day".

Player States:
    Night Guard: Elected during the Day become Night Guard for one Night, making them immune to all Night Actions (Visits or Kills). You may not become Night Guard for two Nights after being Night Guard. They are also informed of the target and polarity of all Kill attempts but not the source ([PLAYER NAME] targeted by [POLARITY] Kill and [PLAYER NAME] targeted by [POLARITY] Kill).
    Living: Living players may post in the Public Topic and full access to their Role's abilities. All players are considered Living at the start of the game.
    Dead: Dead players may not post in the Public Topic but have access to Dead Chat and limited access to their Role's abilities. Players who are Lynched or Killed become Dead.
    Banished: Banished Town players are completely removed from the game and have access to Observer Chat. Banished Witch players may attempt a Banish each Night and thus aren't given Observer Chat access since they still have some influence over the game.

Play Zones:
    Public Topic: A public topic where Living players may discuss the gamestate during Day Phases. All Lynch and Election votes must be made here.
    Witch Chat: A semi-private QT shared by all Coven (a.k.a. all non-Loose Cannon Witch Faction) players but transcribed to either the Diode or the Loose Cannon at the end of a Phase depending on the current gamestate. The witches must vote for their Night Kill here. A new Witch Chat is Created every time a Coven member Dies or Revives.
    Dead Chat: A semi-private QT shared by all players who are Dead during a particular Phase. This QT is also observed by the Channeler and the Zombie who may both use their alter egos to interact. Dead Chat doesn't exist until at least one player is dead and a new Dead Chat is created every time a player Dies, Revives or is Banished.
    Observer Chat: A private QT shared by all Banished Town players and mods.
    Lovers Chat: A private QT shared by Romeo and Juliet during Nights when both players are Living. It won't exist until the first Night and players will be expected not to cheat.
    Private QTs: Each player has a private QT they may use at any time. All role specific actions must be expressed here.

Mechanics:
    Lynch: Each Day all Living players may use the Public Topic to cast a Lynch Vote. There are two types of Lynch Votes Deadline and Active. Deadline votes become Active when the time for Day Phase expires. You may only Vote to Lynch Living players or No Lynch. If you haven't made a Lynch Vote, it's assume you are Voting to Deadline No Lynch. If you fail to specify Deadline or Active, Deadline is assumed. If more than half the Votes are Active and on a single player, Day Phase ends and that player is Lynched. If the Lynch is successful they become Dead.

-In the Public Topic Type-
    Deadline Lynch [PLAYER NAME] or Lynch [PLAYER NAME] = Deadline Lynch Vote
    Active Lynch [PLAYER NAME] = Active Lynch Vote
    No Lynch, Unvote, [NO VOTE CAST] = Deadline No Lynch Vote
    Active No Lynch = Active No Lynch Vote

-The announcement will be made in the Phase end post in this format-
    [PLAYER NAME] has been Lynched and died = Success
    [PLAYER NAME] has been Lynched and survived = Failure
    No players have been Lynched = No Lynch

Election: Each Day all Living players may use the Public Topic to cast an Elect Vote. Only Votes for currently Living players who haven't been successfully Elected for at least 2 Cycles are considered valid; all other votes are considered invalid and ignored. The player with the most Elect votes at the end of Day becomes Night Guard. Ties result in no Night Guard.

-In the Public Topic Type-
    Elect [PLAYER NAME] = Valid Elect Vote
    Elect [PLAYER ELECTED 1 CYCLE AGO], Elect [PLAYER ELECTED 2 CYCLES AGO], Elect [ANYTHING ELSE] = Invalid Elect Vote

[PLAYER NAME] has been elected = Success
    No player has been elected = Failure

Kill: Each Night all Living Coven players may use Witch Chat to cast a Kill Vote. The Kill Vote must include a player name and Polarity. No vote or a vote without polarity is considered invalid and ignored. The player with the most votes is targeted by a Kill. If the player target currently matches the Polarity of the Kill or is of Neutral Polarity, the Kill is successful and they become Dead; otherwise the Kill fails.

-In Witch Chat Type-
    <b>- Kill [PLAYER NAME]</b> = Successful Kill on players with - or Neutral Polarity
    <b>+ Kill [PLAYER NAME]</b> = Successful Kill on players with + or Neutral Polarity
    - Kill [PLAYER NAME] = Invalid Vote
    + Kill [PLAYER NAME] = Invalid Vote
    <b>Kill [PLAYER NAME]</b> = Invalid Vote
    <b>- Kill</b> = Invalid Vote
    <b>+ Kill</b> = Invalid Vote

[PLAYER NAME] has been Killed = Success
    [NO ANNOUNCEMENT] = Failure

Revival: Every 3rd Cycle all players with access to Dead Chat may cast a Revival Vote during the Night Phase. Only Votes for currently Dead players are considered valid. The player with the most Revival Votes at the end of Night is Revived and becomes Living again at the start of Day.

-In Dead Chat Type-
    <b>Revive [PLAYER NAME]</b> = Valid Revival Vote
    Revive [PLAYER NAME]= Invalid Revival Vote
    <b>Revive [ANYTHING ELSE]</b> = Invalid Revival Vote
    Revive [ANYTHING ELSE] = Invalid Revival Vote

[PLAYER NAME] has been Revived = Success
    [NO ANNOUNCEMENT] = Failure

Possession: Every 3rd Cycle during the Day, any Dead Witch may attempt to Possess a currently Dead player or any number of currently Living players. If that player would be Revived, the Possession is successful and the Witch Possessing them is Revived instead. A Witch may only successfully Possess once. If a Coven Witch (I.E. a Witch other than the Loose Cannon) chooses to Possess they may not attempt a Banish that Day.

-In Your Private QT Type-
    Possess [PLAYER NAME]

-No announcement will be made-

Banish: Every 3rd Cycle during the Day, any Dead Witch may attempt to Banish a currently Dead player or any number of currently Living players by matching their name to their Role. If that player is Dead at the start of Night a Banish will be attempted. If the match is correct, that player is Banished. If a Witch is Banished they may attempt a Banish on all following Nights. If a Coven Witch (I.E. a Witch other than the Loose Cannon) chooses to Banish they may not attempt a Possess that Day.

-In Your Private QT Type-
    Banish [PLAYER NAME] the [ROLE]

-The announcement will be made in Dead Chat in this format-
    [PLAYER NAME] has been Banished = Success
    [PLAYER NAME] has not been Banished as the [ROLE] = Failure

Role List:
    All Coven Witches know the names and Robe Colors of other Coven Witches but not their roles or who the Loose Cannon is.
    Visits: Unless otherwise stated a Living player may conduct a Visit at Night by targeting any Living player. Type "Visit [PLAYER NAME]" in your Private QT or whatever makes your intentions obvious. Unless otherwise stated a Dead player may conduct a Visit on Revival Nights by targeting any Living player.

Positive Town Roles:
    NORTH: Retains the ability to Visit while dead. Visit= On Revival Nights or while Living you learn who SOUTH Visits and who's target is more Positive ("[PLAYER NAME] is more positive than [PLAYER NAME]" or "[PLAYER NAME] and [PLAYER NAME] are equal").
    +: Visit= Learn if a player's polarity currently matches yours ("Match" or "No Match")
    JULIET: If Romeo is Alive you learn the polarity of any player who Dies to a Lynch. If you and Romeo are Alive you share a QT at Night.
    F.A.G.: Visit= Until the next Night starts this player loses their vote, they are informed. Call= Do this if and only if you choose to visit. Target a Living player other than yourself. Until the next Night starts this player gains an extra vote, they are informed. Type "Visit [PLAYER NAME] Call [PLAYER NAME]" in your Private QT.

Neutral Town Roles:
    MAGNETO: Visit= Until Day invert a player's polarity (Positive-> Negative-> Positive).
    GOLEM: The first kill attempt against you automatically fails, afterword you may choose your new Polarity. For the sake of gameflow I will request (not require) the the Golem queue their Polarity choice. For example I'd like a standard Night Action post from the Golem to look similar to this:
    "If - Kill become [POLARITY] and if + Kill become [POLARITY]"
    CHANNELER: Until you are Banished, you have access to Dead Chat via an assigned pseudonym. You may use this pseudonym to chat and Vote with Dead players.
    DIODE: While you're alive, you receive a transcript of Witch Chat for the previous Phase, poster names will be replaced with Robe Colors and time stamps will be removed.

Negative Town Roles:
    SOUTH: Retains the ability to Visit while dead. Visit= On Revival Nights or while Living you learn who NORTH Visits and who's target is more Positive ("[PLAYER NAME] is more positive than [PLAYER NAME]" or "[PLAYER NAME] and [PLAYER NAME] are equal").
    -: Visit= Learn if a player's polarity currently matches yours ("Match" or "No Match")
    ROMEO: If Juliet is Alive you learn the polarity of any player who Dies to a Lynch. If you and Juliet are Alive you share a QT at Night.
    CAPACITOR: While Alive, on Revival Cycles during Day you may choose a currently Dead player or any number of Living players. The first one to be Dead at any point during the Night will be Revived at the end of Night and the Capacitor will Die. While Dead you are Banished instead and your ability will only work if your target is Dead at the start of Night.

Coven Witch Roles (All Witches are Neutral):
    LODESTONE: During the Day you choose what your polarity will be that night.
    DEMON: At the start of Day you are informed of who North and South visited that Night (North visited [PLAYER NAME], South visited [PLAYER NAME]).
    ZOMBIE: Until you are Banished, you have access to Dead Chat via an assigned pseudonym. You may use this pseudonym to chat and Vote with Dead players.
    SEAMSTRESS: While alive Visit= Bind a player until the start of the next night. A Bound player can't Die to Lynch but Dies at the end of the Night after you're Lynched. While dead, other Witches can only die to Lynch. On Revival Cycles (while dead) Possess= Stitch. If a Stitched player is Revived, you're Revived with them. The same restrictions that apply to Possess apply to Stitch.

Non-Coven Witch Roles (All Witches are Neutral):
    LOOSE CANNON: The Loose Cannon doesn't have access to Witch Chat or know who the other Witches are. While alive their Visit= Kill and functions exactly like the Coven's kill. If targeted by the Coven's Kill they may choose to redirect it to another target. If the Diode is Dead at the start of a Revival Night, you gain the Diode's ability until your next Death. For the sake of improving gameflow, I'll be requesting (not requiring) that redirects be queued along with the Kill target (since the target should be the same anyway). For example, I'd like a standard Night Action post from the Loose Cannon to look similar to this:
    "[POLARITY] Kill [PLAYER NAME], Redirect - to [PLAYER NAME] and + to [PLAYER NAME]"

Timing:
    Information distributed
    Dead Chat/Witch Chat links distributed
    DAY START
    Election/Lynch Voting
    DAY END
    Capacitor Revive attempts locked
    Possess/Banish attempts locked
    Death from Lynch
    Banishment from Capacitor
    Immunity from Night Guard starts
    Banishment from Witch
    Lodestone chooses Polarity
    Dead Chat/Witch Chat links distributed
    Diode/Loose Cannon transcript distributed
    NIGHT START
    Magneto Polarity inversion
    North/South/+/- checks and Seamstress Bind attempt locked
    Cannon>Coven>Redirected Kill <-> (Golem chooses Polarity)
    Immunity from Night Guard ends
    Death from Seamstress or Seamstress Bind ends
    Seamstress Bind becomes active
    Capacitor (alive) Death
    Revive
    Capacitor Revive
    NIGHT END

Resolving Ties:
    Election Town vs Town: All other roles beat Romeo and Juliet, otherwise Random
    Election Town vs Witch: Witch wins
    Election Witch vs Witch: Coven beats Loose Cannon, otherwise Random
    Election 3 way and beyond: No winner
    Revival Town vs Town: Random
    Revival Town vs Witch: Witch wins
    Revival Witch vs Witch: Coven beats Loose Cannon, otherwise Zombie chooses, otherwise random
    Possession: Coven beats Loose Cannon, otherwise Zombie chooses.
    Capacitor (alive) vs Banish: The Banish fails and the player is Revived at the end of Night.
    Capacitor (dead) vs Banish (Capacitor): Capacitor is banished.
    Capacitor (dead) vs Banish (Target): Target is Banished, Capacitor remains Dead.
    Capacitor vs Revival/Possession: The Capacitor's Revival happens after the Votes Revival but the Capacitor Dies or is Banished at the start of Night. Thus if the Capacitor targets the player who is Voted to be Revived and that player is Possessed, they revive along with the person Possessing them.
    Capacitor (alive) chooses multiple targets: The first one to be considered Dead is Revived.
    Multiple Votes/Conflicting Actions: Only the most resent will be considered valid.

General Edict Guidelines:
    While I have no way to enforce these, I'd like people to respect them because not doing so makes the game kinda stupid.
    1. Absolutely no game relevant communication is allowed with other players outside of the game.
    2. Don't "edit" posts in the Public Topic or Semi-Private QTs. I'll overlook post edits in Private QTs but you should probably avoid those too.
    3. Don't "like" posts in the Public Topic.
    4. Avoid lying about things beyond the scope of the game. If you have an important obligation or other complications coming up, try to warn everyone in the Public Topic during Night Phases.
    5. Avoid personal attacks against other players or otherwise being offensive for the sake of it.
    6. Avoid stalking players, you may wish to set your forum account to invisible mode simply to avoid being stalked.

Some Meta Stuff:
    Pending...

Player List:
    1. Arkaal
    2. Mirdini (Post #1-244)→ Fortuna
    3. aerinon
    4. Deceptive (Post #1-1059)→ Aloop
    5. Aesa
    6. beruru (Post #1-311)→ Sirion
    7. Kensington
    8. Prime Intellect
    9. Archon Shiva
    10. A Killer Cuppa Tea (Post #1-1059)→ Cosmic
    11. Lungs (Post #1-803)→ Crilly
    12. Kai-
    13. Ixtaccihuatl
    14. Ash (Post #1-541)→ CWheezy
    15. jwlk
    16. Eidolonic
    17. Ehrgeix
    Alternates
    • None :(
  2. bbobjs

bbobjs Well-Known Member

Your assigned Roles are in the Quick Topic links in your confirmation PM. Day 1 will end on Wednesday March 21st at 23:59 UTC.
  3. aerinon

aerinon Active Member

Whee! Here we go!
    Let's just elect me because it is totally a good idea and I've never been elected before. I guess that's all I have to say to start out.
    Elect: Aerinon
    Have fun everybody.
  4. Mirdini

Mirdini Member

Woop woop woop woop woop woop

Elect: Prime Intellect because it'll save him the trouble of doing so himself.
  5. aerinon

aerinon Active Member

ATTN MOD: A deadline is always useful. Thank you!
  6. bbobjs

bbobjs Well-Known Member

Uh... deadline for day 1 is Wednesday March 21st at 23:59 UTC?
  7. Aesa

Aesa Well-Known Member

don't shoot i'm innocent
  8. Arkaal

Arkaal Member

That's exactly what a witch would say! :p
  9. Aesa

Aesa Well-Known Member

no no thats what a cute panda would say
  10. Archon Shiva

Archon Shiva Well-Known Member

All candidates, seriously, give us more meat than that. Unless you want to be elected for stated role-based reasons (which I assume you don't - keep those roles hidden!), you need some campaign promises - what will /you/ do with the NG info that's so much better than electing someone else, we should vote for you sight unseen?
  11. Arkaal

Arkaal Member

What can they do, aside from role-based info? I think electing NG is more about the protection now, than it is about info.
  12. Archon Shiva

Also, Mirdini, don't claim lovers just yet... <smirk>
  13. Archon Shiva

T
    Garcia rule, sir.
  14. Ixtaccihuatl

Ixtaccihuatl Well-Known Member

Hey, not bad timing on the start, I just got home from work, and nothing planned for tonight, which is nice, cause I bet this will be busy once people all check in.
  15. Arkaal

Arkaal Member

It applies to me too, if want to get elected. I'm trying to figure how to campaign for this, or if I even want to bother.
  16. Ixtaccihuatl

Lynch Arkaal for being Arkaal. :p Chances are he's a witch anyway right? And he's already answering other people's questions!
  17. aerinon

aerinon Active Member

Hmm. Campaign promises...

If I am elected, I will reveal the target of the coven as soon as possible after night is over without the polarity of the kill listed. I don't think night guard gets any other information, so I can't make as good as promises as in other PolarityHunts. Really, one use of Nightguard election I can see is getting a couple of random checks on people by tying the vote. Other than that its all about protection really, and I really don't want to advise witches on nightkills D1, so I'll leave it at that.

I'm not sure NG it worth anybody's time to campaign for really. Except to get reads on people, which is +EV. Oh, that, and I think that NG is so less consequential than usual that I might actually have a chance at winning.
  18. Ixtaccihuatl

Hmm, what about NOT revealing who the target is right away, and questioning people as to who they think did each kill, and seeing if there are any slips?
  19. Aesa

Aesa Well-Known Member

What is garcia rule?

Also I hope you guys don't mind me asking a bunch of newb questions, first forum game here. What is the benefit of not revealing kill polarity?
  20. Archon Shiva

Okay. Got through the final version of the rules... Town is in trouble - badly.

No protection means witches have no reason not to hit the /best/ target every time. NG only means "kill that guy tomorrow", anyway.

The only way we win this is by maintaining some control over the revives, which means no banishments. That means no reveals, and /no hints whatsoever/. Take it to the grave, seriously. We can revive you later. Revival should be weighted heavily by post count (content, no pure numbers), which will prevent witches from both lurking and getting easy revives.

(of course, if you have a Mirdini or beru-type reveal, go ahead)

Also, I suggest we lump some people into two groups: North and South. North picks anone from his side and so does South ; this saves picking the same person twice and ruining a check. Note that Demon knows who was picked anyway - there is little gain in not making these groups extremely small (and changing them each day).

Drawing kills and hiding from them is meaningless if it gives witches information about your role - the game will be won in the cemetery.

For tonight, let's just pick someone we want alive tomorrow /as a player/. It would be too nice of us to tell witches who they should kill first.
  21. Ixtaccihuatl

Garcia rule, as I understand it, is not answering questions directed at other players, because there are frequently specific reasons they are being asked certain questions, and other people answering it can mess it up. Kill Polarity of the coven kill can be useful to the Loose Cannon, so it's best to keep it secret.

I've only played 1 and a half games so far, so I can sympathize with being new. :) Good Luck!
  22. Archon Shiva

Garcia rule: If a person is asked a question, and you are not that person, don't answer it. The idea is that witches really like /not/ having to answer.

Ask all the newb stuff you want. And don't panic when we gang up on you for very little apparent reason, it happens to everyone.
  23. Ixtaccihuatl

Hmm... Archon, who are the two people most likely to get killed by witches night 1, assuming they are not themselves a witch?
  24. Ixtaccihuatl

Aerinon, after taking a look at Archon's thing, who would you want to elect besides yourself?
  25. Aesa

Aesa Well-Known Member

Alright yea sorry I have a bunch of questions!

What is a beru-type reveal?

Why is it better to make the North/South groups small? Why a group rather than just 1 person?

What does "drawing kills and hiding from them" mean?
  26. Arkaal

Arkaal Member

I've been town FOUR times now, so that streak is totally dead. And that question was addressed to all candidates, which is everybody!

That's fine, we understand that this game is somewhat complex.

The loose cannon doesn't know the polarity of the coven kill, nor does coven know the polarity of the cannon's kill. Revealing that info gives cannon a better shot at killing people, and gives coven better info for learning everyone's roles!
  27. Arkaal

Arkaal Member

Beruru and Mirdini are sort of legendary for getting a million successful checks. So a "beru"-type reveal would be something like "Hey guys, I am Red and we know that Joe, Bob, Sally, Sue, and Rick are all neutral!".
  28. aerinon

aerinon Active Member

beru-type reveal: She revealed her role as Compass Bearer to out 4 neutrals. Which is really good as most of them were witches. So, you can reveal your role if you are confident that you have concrete information on who 2-3 witches are. Role reveals are otherwise very bad because of banishments.

I've kind of wondered if we should lead N/S visits, but I think the downside to picking exactly who is that witches will be inclined to kill those people to waste the checks. Groups or small groups will circumvent that nicely. Not sure though, because the results will determine if a person needs to be picked again for further comparison and we don't get that detailed information.

Drawing kills and hiding from them are based upon playstyles. Like, posting just enough to get ignored is "flying under the radar" and is a great place to be for powerful town roles that don't want to die and witches who don't want to die. Playing aggressive and scumhunting and trying to lead town is great way to get witches to kill you because you are a catalyst for discussion where witches are able to control the lynch more if they are the loudest ones. Certain roles want to be killed by witches so better roles can stay alive.

Re: Killing NGs was a popular strategy but due to lots of protection in the game was a bad idea for witches. (As I learned to my sorrow as a witch in PH1) Now, well, running for NG might be a death sentence, or it might not. Depends on how we decide to elect and how witches decide to handle it. NGs are a lot less of a threat than in previous games so I'm not sure if Archon's doom and gloom is totally appropriate on that front.

Otherwise, yes, town got quite a bit of nerfed powers but I think witches did too. Possession isn't so crazy good this game. And he is right about one thing: role reveals=bad. So don't do it.

@Ixta. Hardly have any reads on anyone yet. I'll let you know when I start forming opinions. I mean the question seems like you want me to say Archon because he's acting like his usual towny self. But I've never seen an Archon witch and I'd guess it be hard to tell from his usual play, so I'll sit on that.
  29. Archon Shiva

Ixta: Likely is hard to say. Confirming someone is always painful. Going off previous games doesn't work so well, however, because there is no risk of hitting protection. I don't want to phrase this in a way that helps coven too much, but If witches go for high-profile it would be Prime or myself (bbobjs being unavailable); if they go middle of the pack or lurker, well, we'll know closer to the end of the day.

Aesa: I'll let others take your questions first, in order to generate conversation, but I can answer if you want it from me.
  30. Lungs

Lungs New Member

Lynch Ixta

You make for a terrible spai. D:
  31. Kai-

Kai- Well-Known Member

That's mean. Clearly lungs, you make for a terrible person. :D

Anyway, my take on the NG = deaddeaddead thing is that in previous games NG had way more info (+hidden info that he didn't reveal to town), but in this one NG doesn't really (and maybe NG should just dump straight up?) so the main reason for the NG (in this game) to become dead is that someone who is NG is more towny and thus more likely to be killed by witches than someone who is not NG.
  32. Deceptive

Deceptive Well-Known Member

Lynch Tea because he'll probably just derp and deserve a vote from me anyways and then make me change it off him later.

Elect Deceptive
  33. Kensington

Kensington Member

Well hello, it's nice to finally get this game started.

I'm a bit of a noob to these forums, so I'll refrain from running for night watch this round. So I'll pose a question.

Why should I elect Deceptive, Prime Intellect, or Aerinon?
  34. Ixtaccihuatl

XD I was a terrible spy, it's true. And I STILL don't know why sotek was so fixated on me besides the ehrgeix buddying, which he said wasn't it. Although maybe that was a lie? I don't even know now, it was so confusing. :p I did, however, read that mafia guide thing, so I'm really trying not to suck so badly this time.
  35. Deceptive

You should elect me because if there was one thing I proved last game it was that I'll fill my qt with theories about who is what and knowing the coven kill will help me loads.
  36. bbobjs

bbobjs Well-Known Member

Fun Fact: Garcia rule was the first thing I thought of putting in the meta stuff section... but then I got lazy and didn't actually make it.
  37. Arkaal

Arkaal Member

ohgodpleaseno! Letting witches know the polarity of who LC is killing is really really bad!
  38. Arkaal

Arkaal Member

You shouldn't! You should elect me. I am not a witch, as it clearly indicated by my avatar.
  39. Kensington

Kensington Member

Heh, that moves you to the top of my list for now, Deceptive. Granted, you are the only one to reply so far, so I suppose you're also at the bottom of my list.
  40. Ixtaccihuatl

Elect Deceptive

I loved reading that QT. :)
  41. bbobjs

bbobjs Well-Known Member

RULE CORRECTION (sorry guys):
    Night Guard was: They are also informed of the Coven's Kill (Coven [POLARITY] Killed [PLAYER NAME]).

But should have been: They are also informed of the target and polarity of all Kill attempts but not the source ([PLAYER NAME] targeted by [POLARITY] Kill and [PLAYER NAME] targeted by [POLARITY] Kill).

The first post has been changed to reflect this.
  42. Arkaal

Arkaal Member

Oh noes the game is ruined! :p
  43. Prime Intellect

Prime Intellect Well-Known Member

Hey guys what's up.
    Elect Prime Intellect

Not only do I have more time, NG also receives less info, so I can hardly mess it up this time.
    Also, I sure as hell will need the protection N1. Take that however you want to.

In terms of why you should elect me: I can do a lot with the info (probably even differentiate which came from which source) as well as I'm definitely a player that can use the early protection.
  44. Prime Intellect

Prime Intellect Well-Known Member

I THOUGHT I had read it differently! I had this big post typed up about how NG only gets coven kill info which was strange (and I was ready to point it out to you bbobjs) but then I guess I had refreshed before I started up my post because when I doublechecked I saw the new rule and derp'd.
  45. bbobjs

bbobjs Well-Known Member

Yea sorry... hopefully that was the only thing I messed up. The Capacitor is also different simply because timing gets really weird if I don't do it that way. North and South instead of Red and Blue because I didn't want them conflicting with Robe Colors. If anything else is wrong, tell me now I guess.
  46. Aesa

Aesa Well-Known Member

Damn this thread moves fast. Thanks aerinon and others for answers to questions.

I still don't really understand "drawing kills/hiding from kills". It's basically a Yomi thing where posting a lot is suggesting you have a lesser important role while posting not as much is suggesting you have a more important role?
  47. Arkaal

Arkaal Member

Exactly. It also has to do with witch behavior. For example, witches don't want to post as much, because every post is a chance to slip up or get caught in a lie. So if you post a lot, it makes the witches look bad, so they want to kill you. Thus, posting less often is a way to avoid getting killed by witches.
  48. Deceptive

Archon, I have exactly one scum read right now. It's light but it's there. Who do you think it is on? What are your own reads, if you have any?

I would be mildly ok with Prime being NG. But I'd much perfer myself. If Prime ends up making himself look more towny (without claiming this time Prime) I'd be willing to switch over to him.

Ix, what are your thoughts on Kensington?

Kensington, do you have experience playing mafia or witch hunt? If so, what kind of experience?

Mirdini, you started out with a (random?) elect vote but no lynch vote, why?

Aesa, same questions as I gave Kensington.

Aerinon, what will you do as night guard that the rest of us won't?

Arkaal, considering witches learn polarity of either LC kill or coven (depending on if coven or LC ng) is it even +ev to elect at all? Town doesn't stand to gain much other than protection and a bit of info that is way more useful to witches. Witches stand to learn people's polarities. Without the log aspect do you think it is +ev elect?

After Arkaal answers I'd like everybody else to answer that question as well.
  49. Arkaal

Arkaal Member

Well, LC learning the coven's kill is actually pretty meh! The bigger deal is witches learning extra polarities.

On the other hand, the voting process can be informative, and if we only elect people who post a LOT, it means witches who want to make NG have to play a risky game.

Because of this, I feel that it's absolutely worth having people campaign. If we can get a majority of people supporting a single candidate, then I would say it is worth electing them. If we can't get someone with a majority near the end of day, then we could re-align votes for a big tie to minimize risk.

This strategy keeps NG as a high-risk, low-reward strategy for witches, which should keep them out of it, at least until later in the game.
  50. Eidolonic

Eidolonic Well-Known Member

From what I see so far, I'm okay with Deceptive or Prime getting NG, even if primarily for the protection aspect. Information is always useful, of course, but with this setup it is less so to town than the coven.

Arkaal's analysis on NG risk/reward is spot on in my eyes - that it's worth having people campaign for the position for the information we can gain, but abusing tie mechanics to make it uninviting for the coven.

No real scum reads as of yet, the only eyebrow raising moment was curtailed by rule clarification from Bbobjs.