Polarity Hunt 3

Discussion in 'Forum Games' started by bbobjs, Mar 12, 2012.

1. aerinon

aerinon Active Member

Thanks Aesa for answering my question. I see what you are saying there. I was just wondering how Archon's plan affected your perception of him, or if it did. It helps to pin down what kind of player you are, since I'm not familiar with you.

Yep, still don't like Archon's plan. Case B1 is the one I'd be worried about. Especially if some neutral town doesn't follow the plan for really good reasons. See, I think the basic assumption that town should tell the truth about their neutral/non-neutral status is flawed. I'll be interested to see Archon's simulation though.

So who hasn't talked yet at all? beruru and Ash? Am I missing anyone?
  2. Eidolonic

Eidolonic Well-Known Member

I've been pretty quiet, trying to map out the possibilities for Archon's plan N. I'm going to tentatively say that it's a bad idea. Even disregarding the fun factor involved (this sort of play-style seems massively unfun), I think it benefits the coven moreso than the town. Neutral town may feel the pressure to fake claim a polarity, and if all town neutrals trueclaim, it narrows down the priority targets for the coven anyways. I can see it working if things unfold perfectly, but I think the risk is far too high for the reward it offers.

I'm willing to listen to tweaks to the plan that someone else makes, however - just slightly suspicious of Archon when the plan seems so pro-coven at first glance.

Little bit of meta coverage from back thread, that I probably should have done in my first post: I also play with the DLP folks primarily, and the rest of you are new to me.

@aerinon - To answer your question about Ixta... I don't really know. I'm getting a slight 'pressing too hard' vibe, but it could be less-vital town as easily as scum.
  3. aerinon

aerinon Active Member

BTW, what is DLP?
  4. Aesa

Aesa Well-Known Member

Sorry to bother but can we use screen names rather than real names in this thread? I have no idea which one of you guys is Darcy.
  5. whoops, ive called him darcy for so long that the two are interchangeable for me now. Darcy = deceptive. And darcy isnt his real name either :p
  6. Ixtaccihuatl

Ixtaccihuatl Well-Known Member

OK, just got caught up. I do not like Archon's plan either. It does not seem compatible with keeping the diode alive as long as possible. If Diode true-claims Neutral, it makes him vulnerable to witches, and if he claims a fake polarity, the town might kill him off as a witch, but the coven would know he wasn't one of them, which means as long as the LC succeeds with a kill, they know he's still alive, and can be pretty sure about the role of the non-witch dead person.

I think other people already mentioned this, but it just doesn't seem like a good idea in general to have such a massive info dump, esp if you're wanting people to claim a specific polarity, and not just a general polarity. If there are any decent witches in the coven, or as LC, they could probably have a good chance at figuring out who our main info roles are, and kill them off, and then it narrows the field for guessing roles for banishments later too, etc.
  7. Ixtaccihuatl

Unvote Arkaal btw
  8. Lungs

Lungs New Member

K, guys. Preliminary reads on people:

1. Archon - don't think he's scum, tbh. His posts reek of "i'm an important townie" to my roleread compass, but I don't want to really explain why because it involves RAISINS a whole bunch of people and just handing witches my rolereads is so -EV it's sort of ridic.

@Darcy - What do you think is particularly scummy about him.
    @Tea - you seem to not like him either. :confused:

Okay, I might actually reevaluate my reads because I'm lolbad at scumdar XD

2. Aerinon - Rule One of DLP is that you do not speak of DLP. It's actually a projector company me, jwlk, kens, eidolonic and kai- run.

Also, you're tripping my scumdar and I don't even know why. I guess it's because I'm scummy and you're scummy and we might both be closeted sc Gaydar jokes are bad. I probably deserve to be lynched.

3. Prime; Tea - Have null reads on you two. I'm not good at mechanic, so can y'all explain some things to me about- oh god, I'm going to make Arkaalquestions. D:

Both of you: As we transition to the midgame, what's our best strategy to counter zombie? I can understand if it's a sekritz, but the odds of that are probably low. >_>

4. Unvote for now because while Ixta is a light scumread for me, I was mostly joking before and she(?) can also be strongthtown. D:

5. Kens - I'm getting epic scummeryreads from you. Epic scummeryreads. You're not bad at this game, and I think that while you might be intimidated, turtling is super -EV for town and shit. Conversely, my roleread on you is sort of blank, which is superunusual. But then again, I've always been unable to read you properly. XD

6. Offtopic TeaInTheSkyWithDiamonds: do you laaaave me? XD

7. Nullreads on mostly everyone else. Especially kai. I'm watching you, kai. D:

Funny thing, I have a light scumread on myself :D But I always look scummy. Bah.

Also, to answer Darcy from like, a page or two ago or more: Well, I think it's more of a boon to the town in the endgame because town should always try to limit the amount of knowledge that witches have on the basis that they start with more knowledge to begin with and shit. Meanwhile, protection slowly snowballs in power, etc. I'm not sure if it's -EV to elect from early on, especially if town elects people who look like they might be targets for too much of dat aggro and shiz.

Like, Elect you wouldn't be a bad idea. XD
  9. Lungs

Lungs New Member

ebwop: Aesa, Darcy is Deceptive.
  10. Lungs

Lungs New Member

ebwop2x: Tea you're a ninja in spirit. D:
  11. Archon Shiva

Archon Shiva Well-Known Member

Sorry, Deceptive's post occurred while I was writing up plan N, and I completely missed the bit that was directed at me. I miss the preview option that let you see everything that had happenned while you typed...

Okay, so he was worried because I didn't start out with a bunch of questions: I do these on the computer, the iPad isn't as suitable to stuff like that, and I haven't had a chance to hunt at the computer yet.

You are worried because I come up with dangerous plans. I do that. Note that I never told anyone to try it blindly - I'm looking for flaws and/or strengths. My first game, I first came out with a plan for mass suicide, then refined it into something Sotek had to change the rules to stop. My second plan won us the game (*cough* *cough*).

Considering extreme strategies is important - it doesn't force you to use them. Prime said he considered the same thing, at some point - it would be sad to not look at it if it can help us win. Which isn't looking too it at the moment, I admit. But that's fine, 'cause I didn't go and claim something to get he ball rolling. *stares at Prime*

This early on? And ruin the whole process of people campaigning? As someone with (usually) a high post (and content) level, getting NG is rather easy - when I get into the race, it turns into a two-person race really fast. I don't want that to happen to early on. Look at my history, I've always held back a few days.

So, Ehrgeix has what I believe to be the optimal number of each claim. Six neutrals and eleven polarized... Suppose we lead checks, make a list, give +, - and N two(different) possible targets each, while S checks a neutral. Do witches kill neutrals or polarized? (two kills)
  12. Deceptive

Deceptive Well-Known Member

Lynch lungs for that part about Archon being an important townie. Keep those kinds of ideas to yourself. I wasn't overly found of the rest of the post either.

Also still waiting on Archon to answer my question for me to say why I find him scummy. (The fact that you did not notice this is either you not paying enough attention Lungs or you being scum with Archon.)
  13. Deceptive

This was the post that set off my scumdar. Mirlover crossed my mind but was dismissed. The fact that you pointed it out even as a joke gets you a funny look. Still, it was the lightest of the light scum reads and I actually found your responce to my question townie. You were a town read by the time I voted you and I pretty much only voted you for the reaction. You now even seem even more town to me so thanks.
  14. Lungs

Lungs New Member

You should know about my superior reading comprehension and amazing town playing, Darcy. D: lol@meinCourtQTs "GOD I FOXED UP AGAIN DIDN'T I? D:" and stuff :p

And because I have no excuses, I'm going to correct your spelling. ¬_¬
  15. Deceptive

Yep, that was a typo.

I know that is the case lungs but I didn't like the rest of the post either. If you're town, prove it. You did a pretty good job of proving your innocence in WHTG2 despite being the biggest antitown derp who fucked up numerous plans amoungst other things.
  16. Eidolonic

:rolleyes: Lynch: Lungs

Writing off your scummy posts as 'always looking scummy, lulz' is pretty scummy. Not to mention calling out possible power town this early.
  17. Eidolonic

Formatting fail.

Lynch: Lungs

Also, Deceptive seems to be the strongest option for NG so far, and I like almost everything I see from him, so...

Elect: Deceptive
  18. Deceptive

Protip: Bold and Color your votes

It used to just be bold but bold shows up really poorly on these forums. So color your votes and bolding would be perferable but not manditory.
  19. Deceptive

And then I got ninja'd.
  20. Eidolonic

Yeah, sorry. I had it colored, but then the rest of my text wasn't cooperating, so I re-did the post and failed miserably. And proceeded to curse at the no edit guidelines, as per usual, heh.
  21. Prime Intellect

Prime Intellect Well-Known Member

Ok so every way I look at this plan it's just terribad.

It's pretty much exactly as I had initially thought; it might have been worth it in the last game, but with all the nerfs across the board, I simply can't see us coming out on top as a result in any world (like it would take so much luck it's crazy).
    I DO however like the way you went about that, Archon, and I see what you were trying to do, so I think it's pretty safe to say that I don't suspect you. As for NG, I do feel that I should get it ASAP. I'm obviously not going to claim this game because of how much worse it is (I mostly wanted to see how broken it was last game, and... it was).

Lynch beruru you really need to talk D:
  22. Deceptive

Oh yeah, I've been having that same problem. I just do all of my post without coloring now and then color it when I'm done.
  23. Ixtaccihuatl

-_-

Lynch Lungs
  24. Archon Shiva

Decep: #111 paragraph 2
  25. Deceptive

Saw that, if you noticed my post. Also that never crossed my mind.
  26. Archon Shiva

Okay, I have serious difficulty seeing content here. Last game I was fixed by the time we switched boards, but this one? I'll have to be extra careful.

Prime: Last game you were elected based on role, but found near universal dissatisfaction with your handling of it. I also hit a rush and posted a bit slowly, which made me question my ability to ask for it again on past credentials. Why oh why would we want you again, really?

Lynch Tea. Deceptive's reasoning is solid, but yours looked like a witch looking to get a train going on a talkative town.
  27. Ash

Ash New Member

Well, I didn't realize this started. I've read over the thread once, but I'd like to read it again before making any decisions. A lot of accusations being thrown around. :>
  28. Ash

Ash New Member

Also, DLP is a vile hive of scumbags and whores.
  29. Kensington

Kensington Member

DLP = Dark Lord Potter

Gah, I just drove to the worst place in the United States this afternoon (Bakersfield), so I need to re-read the thread to figure out who the hell Tea is. For some reason, that name doesn't click with anyone currently playing.

And Lungs...your accusation is silly and makes me tempted to lynch you. And while I too can usually not read you in mafia, that's because every time I play against you I want to lynch you due to the derpness of your posts.

I'll post something more intelligent after I get some food and beer in me.
  30. aerinon

aerinon Active Member

Sure, while that might be the first hit on google for DLP. A "DLP forums" search gets me an entirely different website. I was tempted to vote you for lying about it, but I realize that a lot of your post was tongue in cheek. Apparently the site has a little italy section where you and Kai- post fairly regularly. From the complexity of the rulesets I saw at a glance none of you are getting any newbie cred with me anymore (Kai- wasn't anyway. since he was in PH2 and I think I need to add Ash to that player from DLP.) Still, its cool you all came over to get this game agoing.
  31. Lungs

Lungs New Member

OH GOD ASH IS PLAYING TOO. RUN. Heh, I haven't actually played a game with you in a long while, eh?
  32. Lungs

Lungs New Member

This is far more flattering than I have any right to take from it XD
  33. Kai-

Kai- Well-Known Member

It was good while it lasted!
  34. Mirdini

Mirdini Member

But I'm in love!.... with my role :D

Yeah but polarities/magneto are still in play to an extent so we do still have that reprieve.

too out of it to catch up any more than around the bottom of page one (I wrote a 2800 word post for a mafia game kill me now) so I'll just say I'm sticking with my Prime election for well he's Prime might as well keep him alive and watch the fireworks reason.

since Deceptive was bugging me about posting and on a REALLY quick skim it looks like he's been posting a lot I'm going to just voice suspicion - Darcy's annoyingly slippery scum and I wouldn't be surprised to find him deciding to go for full on engaged scum this time around. This is without checking any of the content posted so hey take it as you will but to be fair d1 content/lynch reasons are infamously fallible anyhow.
  35. beruru

beruru Active Member

hi, busy
    will post properly later
    do not like lungs just based on this page
    stop fluffing pillows and make your goddamned bed
  36. jwlk

jwlk Member

Usually when playing in a game with an other-then-lynch vote D1, I ignore the first few people who just throw in random votes, and wait for the first real candidate to put himself up for it. In this case, it was you, followed by PI. Normally, i'd go for PI in this scenario, but a few posts before, Archon Shiva grouped PI and himself together, implying that they should get the NG.
    Since in this game, scum should want NG as much if not more than town, I think it'd make more sense for someone to subtly imply witch!PI should get it.
    Not sure about voting lungs as of now, feels kind of odd how 2 people just jumped on whoever had the first lead in voting, or voted by a supposed prominent member. I have nothing really to add, though. His long post is the only one with any content, and he didn't really do a great job with that one.
  37. Archon Shiva

Why are we okay with Prime's candidacy, btw? Isn't everything bbobjs said about me last game even more valid with him?

To wit, he's a really good player (and knows loopholes like nobody's business, having written the rules), and if he's scum, he's gonna be harder to figure out than most players.
  38. I actually dont have a sodding clue; last game Zombie was a bit of a derp and openly admitted to being Zombie /shrug.

Nope, actually my reason for voting you was drastically different to Darcy's. It was a combination of: a large difference between your behaviour in the previous game and your behaviour in this one; your multitude of (what seemed to me to be) -EV plans; your perceived ignoring of pressure (explained: you didnt see the pressure); a high quantity of mechanics-based posts (which are easy for scum to make and therefore look townie), coupled with a much lower quantity of reads-based posts (which are much harder for scum to make, and they must be careful for fear of implicating buddies and saying something that might bite them in the ass when their scumminess is revealed); and the lack of anyone else who was looking quite as scummy thus far (prolly due to their lack of posts - your high quantity of posts puts you in the spotlight).
  39. whoops, posted it sooner then id intended to. I was gonna comment on Prime's candidacy:

He's perfectly entitled to run for it if he wants to, but i aint gonna vote him for it cos i dont think hes done enoguh this game to prove to me that hes town.
  40. Archon Shiva

For the record, I don't do reads. My scumberu has been epically broken since the very first game.

Unlynch Tea, for reasonable explanation.
  41. Ehrgeix

Ehrgeix Well-Known Member

Archon: Witches kill neutrals. High chance of diode dying and LC survives kill anyway.

Everyone disregarding archon's plan: I think it is important to sim it out and see what happens.

Tea: the Archon post made me want to lynch you also, but I think I still want to lynch ixta more right now.
  42. Archon Shiva

Okay, my learning autocorrect turned "scumdar" into "scumberu"... Interesting.
  43. Archon Shiva

Ehrgeix: Give me two randomly generated kills.

The coven kill is a random neutral town, unless LC claimed neutral, in which case you may need to redirect it. (so 1-4 or 1-5 if LC is neutral)
    The LC kill is a random non-LC neutral, but could be a witch. (1-6, or 1-5 if LC is neutral)

You understand what I mean?
  44. Archon Shiva

Additional note: It might be hard for LC to fit neatly into a 3-2 split, forcing witches to go 2-2 and making the LC automatically into the larger group.
  45. aerinon

aerinon Active Member

One simulation is an interesting test. But I think you have to do about 30 of them to have good scientific qualities. I mean, if you ran 30 sims, and >90% of them ended up in town wins then we have a nice broken game plan. I'm having the same reservations about Deceptive that Mirdini is. Deceptive really likes playing scum and he's pretty engaged this time around. So, I'm not sure he's the best candidate. Granted, last game is a pretty good counterexample though, it just means that he's a good player.

Hey, does anyone know if this forum has a way to view post counts? I think there is one, but I rather not look through the old thread if someone has it on the top on their head.

Question for @jwlk. Do you think the simulation that Ehrgeix and Archon Shiva are running is a good use of time? What do you think of Ehrgeix so far?

@Ixta What do you think of the players that you haven't played with before? (I realize that some of them haven't posted much yet.)
  46. aerinon

aerinon Active Member

Also, Archon/Ehrgeix. Are you going to simulate lynches? If so, what's the method for that?
  47. Archon Shiva

Oh yeah, lynch. We lynched a random polarized player. Roll 1-11 randomly. 1-8 are the town roles in order listed I post #1, and 9-11 are witches. Don't tell me who was lynched, obviously, but lovers now know for certain if they're scum.

Re: use of time - nobody should wait for us. But it makes us post, and brings up stuff. Not much to be lost there. And discussing witch response to a plan we don't expect to use isn't too harmful either. I know the sim isn't scientifically solid, but it will gve us a feeling for it.

Somebody ask a bunch of questions, btw. These reall help.
  48. aerinon

aerinon Active Member

BTW, I'm running a parallel simulation. I assume +,-,North,South,Magneto pick randomly from the polarized pool? Ooh, do we elect a neutral or polarized as NG D1, and would that affect the witches kill strategy? Should Seamstress be randomized too?

I assume we are ignoring F.A.G. pretty much since that only affects lynches. Capicator I guess would wait until some town firms start happened. Agh, keeping track of who knows what is crazy too....
  49. aerinon

aerinon Active Member

Nah. One of North /South picks a neutral and the other picks a polarized person to get exact polarity, no? That's a better strat.
  50. Archon Shiva

Have some time, will give it a try. People named, do not answer - pick someone else you want to answer the question. Try to go for people who don't talk enough.
    Deceptive: Who are the three players demonstrating the strongest opinions?
    Ixta: Find three players who seem to come up with little opinion of their own.
    Aerinon: Which three players have the lowest content per post?