PolarityHunt 4

Discussion in 'Forum Games' started by Prime Intellect, Jul 20, 2012.

1. Prime Intellect

Prime Intellect Well-Known Member

POLARITYHUNT
    PolarityHunt is the summation of years of experience in mafia-type games. In this I offer my viewpoint on many common problems that plague most setups, most notably mass claiming, lack of balanced redundancy between roles, and, the most heinous offense of them all, being dead.

17 players total: 12 town roles and 5 witch roles.

Basic Rules:

In this game, there are an informed minority (the witches) and an uninformed majority (the villagers). Every day, both FACTIONS talk freely. Town members try to work together to uncover witches, and witches try to disrupt the villagers and lay low. The only means of eliminating the witches is through LYNCHES. Throughout the day, every person in the game is able to cast a vote to LYNCH a person. Once a majority vote is reached (or deadline is reached) a LYNCH, or lack thereof, is declared and the person voted dies. During the night, villagers are able to use their specially assigned abilities, and witches talk and decide how to use their nightly KILL. When day breaks, if the KILL was successful, the KILLED person is declared dead and a new day of LYNCHING starts.

The members of the TOWN win when ALL of the WITCHES are DEAD or BANISHED.
    The WITCHES win when all of the TOWN members are DEAD or BANISHED, or when such an outcome is a foregone conclusion.

Game Flow:
    The game begins on day 1 and alternates between day and night.
    Nominating a Triumvirate member takes place during the day.
    Lynching takes place during the day.
    Lynching takes place when a majority is reached, followed by night.

Basic Game Mechanics:

Every player is assigned a random ROLE at the start of the game. This tells them which FACTION they are on and what abilities they possess.
    There is a significant difference in PolarityHunt from normal Mafia-type games: every player has an associated POLARITY that is tied to their ROLE. This addition makes hiding what ROLE you have been assigned a top priority, because if witches know it, they can KILL you much more easily!
    There is also an ELECTED Triumvirate member every day. In addition to normal LYNCH votes, you may cast a vote to ELECT a player you think would make a good Triumvirate member. The Triumviratemember is able to participate in the nightly Triumvirate meetings.

Neither role, polarity, nor faction will be revealed upon death.

Game Mechanics:
    Voting: Lynch votes occur with a majority; deadline votes are allowed.
    Triumvirate members are elected with a plurality vote. Revivals also are plurality.

Witches win all votes other than lynch votes in the event of a tie with one other person. If there are 3 or more people tied for the public Triumvirate seat, then no public Triumvirate member is elected that day.

Polarity: Every role has an assigned polarity (positive, neutral, or negative).
    Roles that use abilities that target other players "visit" that player when they perform their action.

Witches: At the beginning of the game, all coven witches are given a group QT and are sent a list of the names of all the other coven witches. Coven witches may speak in their group QT at any time.

Witches receive a new QT to chat in after every day AND after every night.

Witches have two types of KILLS: positive KILL and negative KILL. In order for a KILL to succeed, the witches must match the proper polarity KILL with the KILL target (e.g. A positive KILL on the Channeler would fail). If there is a mismatch, the KILL fails and no announcement is made (neither to the targeted player nor publicly). Either KILL type will work on a neutral polarity.
    Only names are known to witches (not the other witches' roles).
    The LC does not know who his fellow witches are (or anything else about them).

Triumvirate: Every day, the town must choose someone (by plurality vote) to be a part of the Triumvirate during the next night. The Triumvirate has its own KILL, exactly like the witches do, and may choose to use it each night.
    The Triumvirate is made up of three members that can only be selected from LIVING players.
    One is elected publicly in the main thread.
    The second is elected publicly in deadchat.
    The last is elected in secret by the COVEN.

If the same person is elected in two different elections, the next player with the highest amount of votes will be elected.

THE FIRST DAY OF THE GAME WILL ONLY HAVE 1 PERSON ELECTED TO THE TRIUMVIRATE.
    Due to the fact that there are obviously no dead players at the start of the game, the public election is to elect a dictator to decide the KILL. The witches will not be able to elect a member of their choosing for the first day.

Afterlife
    Revival: If you die, don't despair! You aren't out of the game yet. Once you die, you are given access to DEADCHAT, where you chat with all the dead players. Once every TWO nights, the dead players MUST choose to REVIVE someone, which will bring them back to life. Beware, though! Dead witches can POSSESS one player of their choice at the beginning of revival nights. If that player is selected to be revived, the witch gets revived ALONGSIDE the revived player!
    However, witches may only successfully tag along once! After a revive is stolen, that witch may no longer possess!

All dead players retain use of their respective VISITING night actions on revival nights.

WITCHES WIN THE REVIVAL IN THE EVENT OF A TIE.

Banishing: On the beginning of revival nights, a dead witch may either attempt to BANISH any dead person by naming their role /OR/ POSSESS another player. Should they be successful, the BANISHMENT will be announced in deadchat and the BANISHED player is essentially removed from the game. THE PLAYER'S ROLE IS NOT REVEALED UPON A SUCCESSFUL BANISHMENT. The BANISHED player is completely ejected from the game and may choose to receive observer chat. If a BANISH fails, the attempt will be revealed (e.g. "There was an attempt to BANISH <playerx> as Iron Golem!").
    Witches may target themselves with this ability.

A banished witch gains the ability to attempt a banish EVERY night.

Dead witches must have their banish/possess action in BEFORE the revival night begins or else it will not be counted.

The Loose Cannon can banish AND possess on revival nights when dead.

Role List:
    When a role states that you "choose a player" it means that you are able to select any living player in the game, including yourself, unless otherwise specified.

A VISIT is an abstract concept that essentially means that when you target a player with an ability, you are counted as VISITING that player for that night.

Role Descriptions:
    Positive Town Roles:
    Red: Red is able to choose one player each night. He will VISIT that player and, based on who Blue VISITED, learn which player's polarity was more positive. (e.g. "You learn that PLAYERA's polarity is more positive than PLAYERB's polarity!")
    Note that Red chooses a player every night even while dead, though he would only receive the result if it was a revival night.
    +: Plus is able to choose one player each night. He will VISIT that player and learn if he shares a polarity with them. (e.g. "You do/do not share polarity with PLAYERA!")
    If you do not match polarity with your target, they will be notified that you visited them ("You were visited by + last night!")
    Juliet: Juliet shares a QT with Romeo during the night while they both live. AS LONG AS ROMEO IS ALIVE, you will learn the polarity of each player that dies to a lynch, even if you are dead. (e.g. "You learn that PLAYERA's polarity is POSITIVE!")
    Old Geezer: The Old Geezer is able to choose two players each night. He will VISIT and steal the first player's vote (lynch AND election) and give it to the second player he VISITS. Both players are notified of the respective loss/gain in vote. This change in votes only lasts for the next day.
    HE CANNOT TARGET HIMSELF AS THE RECIPIENT OF THE EXTRA VOTE.
    The Old Geezer MUST choose two valid players if he decides to use his ability.

Neutral Town Roles:
    Magneto: The Magneto is able to choose one player each night. He will VISIT that player and choose what that player's polarity will be for the night and following day (POSITIVE/NEGATIVE only). The visited player will be told what their new polarity is.
    MAGNETO MAY NOT VISIT HIMSELF.
    Iron Golem: The Iron Golem chooses what his polarity will be each night for that night and the following day.
    Capacitor: The Capacitor may sacrifice itself to revive another player on any REVIVAL night. Its death is indistinguishable from a night kill. If it is in the graveyard when it uses this ability, it gets banished from the game. If the Capacitor targets a banished person while alive, he is informed that his target was not valid and no one is revived (and he does not die).
    Diode: The Diode passively prevents the LC from receiving witch transcripts while he's alive. Be warned that you are at the top of the witches' "to kill" list!
    Every morning you will receive the final result of the coven's KILL and ELECT (when applicable) votes in the following format: The Coven <POLARITY> KILLED <PLAYER> and ELECTED <PLAYER>.
    Additionally, if the Diode is alive, once per game during NIGHT it may attempt to name a player as the Loose Cannon. If the Diode correctly targets the Loose Cannon, the following morning, the Loose Cannon dies and is banished. Otherwise, the targeted player lives and the Diode dies.
    This ability may only be used ONCE.

Negative Town Roles:
    Blue: Blue is able to choose one player each night. He will VISIT that player and, based on who Red VISITED, learn which player's polarity was more positive. (e.g. "You learn that PLAYERA's polarity is more positive than PLAYERB's polarity!")
    Note that Blue chooses a player every night even while dead, though he would only receive the result if it was a revival night.
    -: Minus is able to choose one player each night. He will VISIT that player and learn if he shares a polarity with them. (e.g. "You do/do not share polarity with PLAYERA!")
    If you do not match polarity with your target, they will be notified that you visited them ("You were visited by - last night!")
    Romeo: Romeo shares a QT with Juliet during the night while they both live. AS LONG AS JULIET IS ALIVE, you will learn the polarity of each player that dies to a lynch, even if you are dead. (e.g. "You learn that PLAYERA's polarity is POSITIVE!")
    Channeler: The Channeler has VIEW-ONLY access to deadchat at gamestart. On revival nights, the Channeler can attempt to match a dead player other than himself to a role (similar to the witch mechanic of "banishing"). If successful, he may perform a NIGHT KILL with the polarity of his choosing that night.

Witch Roles (ALL WITCHES ARE NEUTRAL):
    Lodestone: The Lodestone is able to choose one player each night. He will VISIT that player and choose what that player's polarity will be for the night and following day (POSITIVE/NEGATIVE only). The visited player will be told what their new polarity is.
    Demon: The Demon is informed each night the names of the players that Red, Blue, and Magneto VISIT. (e.g. Red VISITED PLAYERA, Blue VISITED PLAYERC, and Magneto visited PLAYERA)
    Seamstress: The Seamstress is able to choose a player each night. She will VISIT that player and BIND them to herself. A BOUND player is unable to die from a lynch the next day. If the Seamstress is lynched or dies, the BOUND player will die the next soonest morning. This death will not look any different from a normal KILL.
    Zombie: The Zombie has VIEW-ONLY access to deadchat at gamestart
    Additionally, the Zombie always has access to witch chat, regardless of whether he is alive or dead.

Loose Cannon: The Loose Cannon does not chat with the other witches, but he is able to make his own KILL each night. This KILL counts as the LC's VISIT, which means he can use it during revival nights when dead. Additionally, the LC must specify an additional conditional for if he is targeted with a KILL. He may choose to redirect the KILL onto a target of his choosing. The LC can specify different targets depending on which polarity KILL he is targeted with.
    If the Loose Cannon is alive and the Diode is dead or banished at the start of a REVIVAL NIGHT, the Loose Cannon gains the ability to receive the transcript of each subsequent witch chat and retains it until his next death.

Night action precedence (shamelessly ripped off of bbobjs):
    1. DeadChat/WitchChat links distributed (with applicable info)
    2. DAY start
    3. ELECTION/LYNCH voting
    4. POSSESS/BANISH attempts locked and evaluated
    5. DAY end
    6. DEATH from LYNCH
    7. DeadChat/WitchChat links distributed (with applicable info)
    8. NIGHT start
    9. NIGHT actions locked
    10. LODESTONE polarity change
    11. MAGNETO polarity change
    12. IRON GOLEM polarity change
    13. CHECK attempts locked
    14. KILL choices locked
    15. DEATH from SEAMSTRESS
    16. CAPACITOR defibrillate
    17. REVIVAL (on revival nights)
    18. INFO distributed
    19. NIGHT end
    In case 19, Capacitor is given a current list of living players with which to make his decision.

A big thanks to Deceptive for helping out a lot in the making of the rules.

Feel free to ask about anything and suggest anything.

PLAYERLIST:
    1. Arkaal
    2. Archon Shiva
    3. Eidolonic
    4. Deceptive
    5. Ehrgeix
    6. Marabu
    7. Leto
    8. Crilly
    9. Ixtaccihuatl
    10. Vic
    11. Kai-
    12. JayWillStrike
    13. aerinon
    14. bbobjs
    15. Aesa
    16. jwlk
    17. ImperviousScofflaw
  2. Arkaal

Arkaal Member

3. Archon Shiva

Archon Shiva Well-Known Member

4. Eidolonic

Eidolonic Well-Known Member

5. Deceptive

Deceptive Well-Known Member

6. Ehrgeix

Ehrgeix Well-Known Member

7. Marabu

Marabu Member

In

And I have GOT to make an avatar.....
  8. Leto

Leto Member

I'm in.

Although I have zero knowledge of the rules at this point. I guess I should read them.
  9. Crilly

Crilly New Member

10. Ixtaccihuatl

Ixtaccihuatl Well-Known Member

11. Prime Intellect

Ok so I pretty much just copy/pasted the rules entirely, and they've changed quite a bit. Please point out any contradictions you may see, as I'd like to have the rules completely clear /before/ the game starts.
  12. bbobjs

bbobjs Well-Known Member

13. jwlk

jwlk Member

I think in the dev thread you said that seamstress dead doesn't make witches invincible to night kills, but in the rules it still says so:

Seamstress: The Seamstress is able to choose a player each night. She will VISIT that player and BIND them to herself. A BOUND player is unable to die from a lynch the next day. If the Seamstress is lynched, the BOUND player will die the following morning. This death will not look any different from a normal KILL.
    While the Seamstress is dead, witches can only die to lynches.
    aerinon likes this.
  14. Prime Intellect

Oh I didn't actually change it in the role description, just the exceptions area which no longer exists (fuck yeah).

Thanks for the heads up.

Also bbobjs I fucking love that council idea. I'm going to sleep on that.

EDIT: According the thread link, this is actually PolarityHunt 4.6526. I found that extremely funny for some reason.
  15. Dovaekiin

Dovaekiin Member

So yeah, hey. I'm from over on DLP and Eido has been pushing me in Polarity Hunt's direction for a while now. Decided to come check it out and I like what I see. Count me in.
  16. Prime Intellect

Ideas:
    Council only has one member during night 1. Adds more emphasis to D1 election.
    Subsequent nights have a member elected by witches and one elected by dead people.
    What I'm stuck on: should the deadelect be a dead person or should I limit it to only living people?
    Also, publicly elected person uses their own name, but witchelect and deadelect get pseudonyms to use in the QT.
    I would like a more elegant way to handle this without using pseudonyms, but otherwise it seems too powerful for town. Although maybe pseudonyms makes it too easy for witches? Because obviously then they'd always elect one of their own to be part of the council.
  17. Archon Shiva

Actually, no. It'd be best if everyone uses a pseudonym - it'd even be possible for the witch elect to pretend they're the town elect since nobody can reliable prove much of anything.

Besides, no particular reason for witches to always elect a witch, and it won't be obvious who's been elected by dead people. Can the council actually discuss anything or do they simply vote? If they can only vote, electing dead people isn't much of an issue, but if they can chat, it has to be living players or we lose the living/dead barrier.
  18. Kai-

Kai- Well-Known Member

maybe let them do simple tells like the witch chat in the first WH
    that + pseudonyms would allow for dead guys to be elected maybe.
  19. Kai-

Kai- Well-Known Member

(also in)
  20. Crilly

Crilly New Member

Well. council was an idea we should of introduced ages ago because it is amazing.

+ to everyone pseudonyms (you have to figure out the truth the next day) and only alive

also council being restricted is just going to make council unfun and annoying
  21. Prime Intellect

The only thing is that pseudonyms with quicktopic can be pretty annoying. I think I have an idea of how I'll handle it, though.

Anyways, I added the council idea. Let me know if I forgot anything.

EDIT: revival nights changed back to every 2 due to increased amount of kill potential flying around.
  22. Archon Shiva

Quicktopics with pseudonyms are seriously not as bad if they're not active at the same time as the main game: there's no need to log in and out all the time. Of course they're a bit of an annoyance to people playing in multiple hunts, but installing an additional browser will take care of that pretty effectively - and stop lying to yourself guys, you already have more than one browser installed.
  23. Prime Intellect

Changed Diode and stuff.
    Not sure what else.
    Sleeping now.
  24. Archon Shiva

Random crazy hunt idea that's not worth a thread on its own: 15 players, coven is three witches, game has 1d4+1 covens in it. As soon as at least half the covens are eliminated, everyone else wins.
    Prime Intellect, Marabu and bbobjs like this.
  25. Marabu

Marabu Member

Didn't we just talk about this?
  26. JayWillStrike

JayWillStrike Member

I'll take a spot if there are any open. I've got some experience with a few games on other forums.
  27. Archon Shiva

Yes, but I doubt anyone hear heard me.

JayWill: if not as a starter, experience says you'll be in soon as a replacement - but I'm pretty sure there are plenty of spots left.
  28. Prime Intellect

How'd you find us?
  29. Archon Shiva

He googled "Prime Intellect Polarity Hunt -MSPA"
  30. Prime Intellect

Of course, silly me. :oops:
  31. JayWillStrike

JayWillStrike Member

Heh, nah. I stumbled upon PH3 while it was going on and thought it looked like a fun time.
  32. Deceptive

33. Aesa

Aesa Well-Known Member

tempting, but i dont know if i have time :(
  34. Archon Shiva

Yeah, I just tagged it to read later.
  35. aerinon

aerinon Active Member

Wow. I go on vacation for a looooong time and this still needs players? Count me in.
  36. Deceptive

Yeah, I kinda feel like everyone who would join has joined and we aren't going to get more signups unless we pull people from other forums.
  37. Prime Intellect

4 more needed. 3 more if I can get causeless in here.
  38. bbobjs

bbobjs Well-Known Member

I don't really wanta play but will if needed.
  39. Aesa

Aesa Well-Known Member

I will play.
  40. jwlk

jwlk Member

Me too.
  41. Dovaekiin

Dovaekiin Member

One more player to go, time to reread the rules.
  42. aerinon

aerinon Active Member

You should fix this example. Magneto is neutral.
  43. Prime Intellect

Hahahahaha yeeeeeeeeeeah. Whoops.
  44. Inox

Inox New Member

Hey I'm from MSPAfia.

I have not once in my life played a witch hunt but what could possibly go wrong?
    I have played a decent number of mafias however.

EDIT: That is an /in!
  45. jwlk

jwlk Member

46. Inox

Inox New Member

I'm just clicking everywhere and whoa man check out this INTERFACE!!!

I love this forum already.
  47. Prime Intellect

Sending out confirmation PMs soon.
  48. Archon Shiva

I'll be away from the 10th to somewhere around the 20th. Best case scenario gives me Internet access on all days except the 13th and 16th, but it's possible AT&T or Rogers gives me some trouble and it doesn't end up that way.

The 14th and 15th are almost guaranteed to offer access, but time may be the limiting factor on these two days.

Will keep you updated.
  49. jwlk

jwlk Member

I'll have limited access between august 20-23rd, but thats about it.
  50. Marabu

Marabu Member

I'll never be unable to access a computer with internet per say... but I just started working again so that may (read: surely will) take a lot of my time and energy. I will play though, no worries there.