PolarityHunt Game Minus

Discussion in 'Forum Games' started by Prime Intellect, Jul 12, 2011.

1. Prime Intellect

Prime Intellect Well-Known Member

QUICK LINKS:
    None

POLARITYHUNT
    PolarityHunt is the summation of years of experience in mafia-type games. In this I offer my viewpoint on many common problems that plague most setups.

16 players total: 11 town roles and 5 witch roles.

Game flow:
    The game begins on day 1 and alternates between day and night. Lynching and nominating a nightguard take place during the day.
    Lynching takes place when a majority is reached, followed by night.

Neither role, polarity, nor alignment will be revealed upon death.

Night action precedence:
    1. Lodestone's polarity change
    2. Magneto's polarity inversion
    3. Check results
    4. Loose Cannon kill
    5. Coven kill
    6. Iron Golem polarity shift (when applicable)
    7. Demon's results
    8. Revival
    9. Seamstress target
    10. Old Geezer on death ability

Game Mechanics:
    Voting: Lynch votes occur with a majority; deadline votes are allowed.
    Night guard is elected with a plurality vote. Revivals also are plurality.

Witches win nightguard/revival in the event of a tie with one other person; any other case is determined randomly. If there are 3 or more people tied for nightguard, then no nightguard is elected that cycle.

Polarity: Every role has an assigned polarity (positive, neutral, negative). All witches have a neutral polarity. Witches have two types of kills: positive kill and negative kill. In order for a kill to succeed, the witches must match the proper polarity kill with the kill target (e.g. A positive kill on Magneto would fail). If there is a mismatch, the kill fails and no announcement is made (neither to the targeted player nor publicly). Either kill type will work on a neutral polarity.
    Roles that use abilities that target other players "visit" that player when they perform their action (this applies to Lodestone, only).

Night Patrol: Every day, the town must choose someone (by plurality vote) to stand guard at night. The chosen player will learn who the witches targeted (and with what type of kill) as well as a transcript of everything said in witchchat during the past day/night. NO NIGHT ACTIONS WILL AFFECT THIS PLAYER.
    However, after being made nightguard, you cannot be elected nightguard for two days after your election.

Witches: At the beginning of the game, witches will be sent a list of all other witches (excluding the Loose Cannon). They must use assigned names when speaking in witch chat. Witches may speak in their group QT at any time.
    Roles and pseudonyms are known to witches, nothing else (not even their names!).
    The LC knows who the witches are and nothing else.

Afterlife
    Revival: If you die, don't despair! You aren't out of the game, yet. Once you die, your soul goes to the Mystical Burial Grounds, where you chat with all the dead players. Once every two nights, the dead players MUST choose someone to return to the world of the living. Beware, though! Dead witches can possess one player of their choice at the beginning of revival nights. If that player is selected to be revived, the witch gets revived along with him!

All players retain use of their respective night actions when they die. The two exceptions are below:
    +/-: Plus and Minus lose the synergy benefit when visiting opposite polarities when dead.
    Seamstress: Seamstress no longer sews targets to herself; instead, she chooses a living witch to sew a person to.

WITCHES WIN THE REVIVAL IN THE EVENT OF A TIE.
    In the case of two witches possessing the same target, only the first witch (chronological order) will be revived.
    Base polarity does not change upon death/revival (i.e. Magneto cannot permanently alter a person's polarity if he visits them on the night of their death).

A witch loses the ability to possess once they successfully steal a revive.

Definition of "participate:" the channeler and zombie will both receive pseudonyms with which to post in deadchat with as well the ability to cast a revival vote. They retain said pseudonyms upon their death and may post and vote under either name. THEY ESSENTIALLY GAIN AN EXTRA VOTE UPON THEIR DEATH. If the channeler is banished, he loses use of both his normal name AND pseudonym.

Banishing: On the beginning of revival nights, a dead witch may either attempt to banish any dead person by naming their role or possess another player. Should they be successful, the banishment will be announced in the burial ground chat and the banished player is essentially removed from the game. THE PLAYER'S ROLE IS NOT REVEALED UPON A SUCCESSFUL BANISHMENT. The banished player may still observe dead chat, but they may not speak nor be revived. If a banish fails, the attempt will be revealed (e.g. "There was an attempt to banish <playerx> as Iron Golem!"). Witches may fake such an attempt on themselves (or actually do so, though this is questionable play).
    Witches must have their action ready before the end of the day for it to count.

Witches must have their banish/possess action in BEFORE the revival night begins or else it will not be counted.

The Loose Cannon can banish AND possess on revival nights.

Odd tidbits: Romeo and Juliet do not have day chat.
    New role:
    Capacitor (NEUTRAL): On revival nights it may sacrifice itself to revive another player.
    Its death is indistinguishable from a night kill.
    It may use this ability when dead on a revival night.
    If it is in the graveyard when it uses this ability, it gets banished from the game.
    If he targets a banished person while alive, he is informed that his target was not valid and no one is revived (and he doesn't die).

Grandpa + Grandma become Old Geezer (POSITIVE) which shifts a vote from one person to another (cannot target self) upon death. Both players are notified of the loss/gain.
    Channeler is now NEGATIVE.

Seamstress functions in the same way, except the person dies with the nightkills the morning after her lynch.
    The night after her revival, only the lynch protection function of her ability works.
    The person sewn will not die on the day she is revived.

Lodestone gains a night visit which acts as a nexus (all actions on the player he targets affect him instead).
    Demon ALWAYS receives info.
    Additionally, Demon gains a oneshot ability. Once per game he can submit false reports for any (or all) of the four investigative roles (Compass Bearer, Scientist, +, -)

Role List:
    TOWN ROLES
    [​IMG]
    Old cards:
    http://i54.tinypic.com/353czg3.png
    http://i56.tinypic.com/w0oyzp.jpg
    http://i52.tinypic.com/10cp2mf.jpghttp://i51.tinypic.com/2qjyqoi.jpg

WITCH ROLES
    [​IMG]
    Old cards:
    http://i56.tinypic.com/no64x4.png

Player list
    1. Archon Shiva
    2. beruru
    3. Prime Intellect
    4. Ehrgeix
    5. RoieTRS
    6. fivexthethird
    7. Kai-
    8. bbobjs
    9. Arkaal
    10. A Killer Cuppa Tea
    11. Geneti
    12. Deceptive
    13. aerinon
    14. Ixtaccihuatl
    15. Mirdini
    16. AlexSierra

Alternates
    1. Marabu

Feel free to ask about anything and suggest anything.

This will be the thread for the second game.
  2. Arkaal

Arkaal Member

For obvious reasons, I would rather retcon the lynch. I would also be okay with calling that game state a witch victory and proceeding with the more expected scenario of me having been lynched.
  3. Prime Intellect

HIJACKING MY OWN THREAD FOR NEW GAME THREAD.

I have no idea where curiousCat went; will PM her regarding hosting the game.

If it comes down to it I'll host this one, too.

SO YEAH START SIGNING UP.
  4. Archon Shiva

Archon Shiva Well-Known Member

In. I miss the time where games would almost overlap...

Edit: I have a friend who's shown interest, but it's a small game, so I'll give the regulars a few more hours to secure a spot before I go look on the outside.
  5. beruru

beruru Active Member

!in

i promise to pay attention all the time this time. if i do not you can pm me on esper and wap me with newspapers or something.
  6. Ehrgeix

Ehrgeix Well-Known Member

I will sign up, I love witchhunt.
  7. RoieTRS

RoieTRS Active Member

Yes sign me up
  8. fivexthethird

fivexthethird New Member

I do believe that I would like to be in this.
  9. Archon Shiva

FIvExthethIrD has just enough letters in common with firewind that I get a bit nervous ever time I see his name...

Still happy to play with him, mind.
  10. Prime Intellect

The ironic bit is that I actually will be playing in this one. (Not while modding, of course, but right now it looks pretty funny, me handling signups and all that while my own name is in the playerlist).
  11. Archon Shiva

Please put in Marabu as an alternate. He'll create his account over the next few days.
  12. Kai-

Kai- Well-Known Member

!in

I'd like to play this too!
  13. bbobjs

bbobjs Well-Known Member

Sign me up.
  14. Arkaal

Arkaal Member

Do Want. Sign me up.
  15. !In

This ought to be...interesting.
  16. Geneti

Geneti New Member

Welp.

I am going to be completely outclassed. But why not hope for a miracle? I'm in this.
  17. Deceptive

Deceptive Active Member

Joining this is about the worst choice I can possibly make right now. Naturally I'm in. Also, I'll still roll FAG again even though he's not even a role in this one. I'll just end up with his replacement.
  18. aerinon

aerinon Member

Count me in! How could I miss this?
  19. Ehrgeix

Could you clarify exactly what info witches are sent, btw? (a list of all other witches roles and pseudonyms but not the real ID of the other witches?)
  20. Ixtaccihuatl

Ixtaccihuatl Well-Known Member

In please. :)
  21. Prime Intellect

Just wondering, how much mafia/witchhunt experience do you have?

Your postcount unsettles me a bit.

EDIT: I already know Tea and Geneti.
  22. bbobjs

bbobjs Well-Known Member

He's friends with Ehrgeix so I assume he has some?

EDIT: Pro tip though, including this ":)" in your first post makes your look like a bot.
  23. Ehrgeix

Ixta is a friend of mine who I was raving about witchhunt to (I did wait a few days to make sure that all the interested regulars had signed up - Sotek said he was busy with work or some excuse, though =(). They have some in person experience at least - I think some online also (?).
  24. Ixtaccihuatl

Ixtaccihuatl Well-Known Member

Smiles are bad huh? I'll try and restrain my enthusiasm.

I am new to the forums. Ehrgeix invited me over specifically to play this game and I thought it looked interesting. I've played similar games before, both online and in person, although generally they were the more simplified version of mafia/werewolf.
  25. Archon Shiva

I'll be on away vacation Sept. 14th through the 25th. I should have Internet access but it's POSSIBLE that it may not work out (I'm counting on snagging an AT&T Micro-sim at destination).

If the game isn't started yet, it's not going to matter anyway.
    If the game is started, I won't post heavily during that time, and may have to skim posts a bit, but I'll make sure to fulfill my essential duties.

I'll also set up a check-in schedule for when to replace me if setting up a connection fails and I have to go MIAWOL.
  26. Ithaldir

Ithaldir Member

Hey! If cC is unavailable I wouldn't mind hosting so you can play. I mean, I got no experience being a mod but how hard can it be when the rules are already done and mostly tested?
  27. Doesn't mean i dont suck :p
  28. Prime Intellect

cC assures me that she'll be ready to host within a couple weeks/one month. Thanks for the offer, though. You can be backup instead of me.
  29. Mirdini

Mirdini Member

I'm up for altin'.

Been too busy to realize this went up, sadly.

E: Or hey there was a spot excellent.
  30. bbobjs

bbobjs Well-Known Member

So any vague ETA on when this might start?
  31. Prime Intellect

I'll ask cC and get back to you on that.
  32. Crilly

Crilly New Member

Would like to be an observer for this if I could.
  33. curiousCat

curiousCat Member

I'll talk to Prime on IRC soon about hosting this and yes I will host it don't worry about that!

I'm just... slow. And a little bizzee.
  34. bbobjs

bbobjs Well-Known Member

So is that Marabu guy making an account and signing up yet?
  35. Archon Shiva

Didn't he? I seem to recall he said his account was registered... Will poke him to post in-thread.
  36. bbobjs

bbobjs Well-Known Member

37. Marabu

Marabu Member

Hi. Yes I did make my account when i told A_S that I did, but RL matters kinda overtook me. Will be checking in regularly to see when this starts.
  38. Archon Shiva

This is my last post before I lose Internet access. If everything goes according to plan, I should regain access over the next few days and report in.

If I don't, you guys have to assume that I'm blacked-out until the 26th, at which point I will 100% be back on. If the game starts and requires me to post before then, replace me. If Marabu's willing, he could fill in for me until then and then move to observer.

In any case, I seriously expect no problems - I should have net access by tonight. Thanks all.

EDIT: Get AlexSierra on here. I pm'd him, you guys should join in. He's always amazing fun.
  39. AlexSierra

AlexSierra New Member

Wow, cool!!!
    If there's a spot left I want in.

This time I'm experienced and should win it by myself. :cool:
  40. aerinon

aerinon Member

Yay, Alex! Now all we have to do is wait for AS to get his internet straightened out and cC to unbusy enough to mod this thing.
  41. Archon Shiva

I could write pages about how eight AT&T employees can't find their way out of a shoe box, but I have Internet access. Prepaid, so I see little reason why it would give out a any point. So I'm in.

Yay Alex!!
  42. bbobjs

bbobjs Well-Known Member

Hell yea! I was going to be uber depressed if Alex wasn't in this game.
  43. Marabu

Marabu Member

Hurray for A_S's connection. I wouldn't have felt comfortable as anything other than observer right away.
  44. curiousCat

curiousCat Member

I'm going to figure out how to set up quicktopics.
  45. AlexSierra

AlexSierra New Member

Soooooo... demon get cool new abilities AFTER I was demon...

you bitch
  46. AlexSierra

AlexSierra New Member

And why are we still calling the factions "town" and "witches" they don't even look like witches. I bet they don't weight the same as a duck too.
    We should call them "Eternal home of Arkaal" or something.
  47. bbobjs

bbobjs Well-Known Member

Just a heads up, if this game runs into late December, I'll very likely need a replacement.
  48. Archon Shiva

No worries, sir. After what you did to witches last game, you'll be banished by mid-November.
  49. bbobjs

bbobjs Well-Known Member

What I did? I think you mean what everyone did to me. All I did was sit there and take it... repeatedly.
  50. curiousCat

curiousCat Member

What about what I did? D: