Shadows P&P + Shipping

Discussion in 'Puzzle-Strike: Bag of Chips' started by SpicyCrab, May 24, 2012.

1. SpicyCrab

SpicyCrab Well-Known Member

Hey I just received my e-mail notification that I can download the P&P Version of PS: Shadows

That's cool!

I am more interested in the actual boxed copy though. For those of us who backed on Kickstarter and are slated to receive the boxed copy, is there an estimated time frame on when we might receive that?
  2. Sirlin

Sirlin Steward of the Realm Staff Member

The kickstarter site lists september, but that's just a guess. I don't have any more recent info so that is still the guess.
  3. pakoito

pakoito New Member

I am in the same tier and I have not received it yet.
  4. Sirlin

Sirlin Steward of the Realm Staff Member

Haven't received what yet? The stuff due in september? Or the print-and-play. If you mean the print-and-play, check your spam folder.
  5. skies

skies Active Member

For those of you who do not work in manufacturing, getting a new production started takes awhile. Assuming manufacturing games isn't terribly different from machining, it'll look a bit like this:

The manufacturer typically will have to format whatever Sirlin submitted, then configure every machine that is involved in the printing and cutting of the chips. They will have to create an inspection plan to ensure the machines are doing everything right, and this plan must be comprehensive because the guy following it probably will do what it says (even if its wrong) and no more (maybe less). The process will be test run a few times and then a sample will be submitted to Sirlin (or someone in house) for approval. At that point, they will be ready to order the raw materials and place orders for outsourced components, and it could be weeks before it all arrives since most companies use Just-In-Time manufacturing plans these days. Unless the manufacturer is completely failing at business, everyone involved will have several other things going on at the same time. Production runs will probably not happen ASAP because they will have to fit it in with the other jobs they already have. Production will also take longer because the operators will not have anything about this memorized.

If all goes well, we should see the game before September. Things go wrong a lot, and the initial estimate would leave room to handle it.
    Oni, Proven and Inkstud like this.
  6. Inkstud

Inkstud Well-Known Member

This seems as good a place as any to say this: The Print & Play cards look really, really great. So major kudos for the design on that one. Love it.

The fine attention to visual aesthetics is one of the things that I really like about all of the stuff from Sirlin Games as opposed to like, I dunno Battlecon or Ascension or something. So just to point out that the care that goes into making this stuff look real good is definitely not going to waste or unappreciated.
  7. pakoito

pakoito New Member

Yup, it was in the Spam folder. Thank youuuuu, lovely P&P design.
  8. Vateke

Vateke Member

I got mine printed out and sleeved up, and they look fantastic. My yellow ink cartridge took the hardest hit.

Has anyone had any luck getting it printed at Staples or Kinkos or wherever? Staples told me they can't do copyrighted material, but I wonder if I could have lied and said it wasn't... It didn't really sound like I could do anything to prove to them that I paid for the stuff.
  9. mikedg

mikedg New Member

Isn't that super silly? Aren't all artistic works copyrighted immediately?
  10. Inkstud

It's also Kinkos' (or FedEx office or whatever they want to pretend their name is now) policy not to print work for you if it's by other artists. I made a few printouts of my own work in the past and have had to actually show my ID before they'd print it.

From the perspective of an artist who's had intellectual property stolen a number of times, it's actually a really nice thing for these companies to respect copyright like this, though I guess it's a nuisance if you're trying to print games that you've paid for. Probably it's more expensive there than just using your own ink cartridge though, is my guess.
    Lofobal likes this.
  11. Sun Bro

Sun Bro Member

In my experience, it's cheaper to use your own ink (it took me only most of a $20 cartridge). Card sleeves are where the real cost is (unless you already have a bunch), I spent over $50 on those! In hindsight, penny sleeves might have been smarter, but as this is my first time putting together a print in play, it's been a learning experience. ;)
  12. Vateke

Vateke Member

Yeah, I bought penny sleeves and spent $7. I had to buy a full set of ink cartridges though, which was about $70.
  13. evilgordo

evilgordo Member

I know that at Kinko's you can sign a waiver and they will print/copy your job (I'm sure Staples/etc. do too). They are not thinking of the artist when they claim copy-protection as reason not to print something... they are only covering their ass and or being lazy. Back in day, when Kinko's was just starting out as 1 copy shop, they would copy college text books so students could save money... they got in quite a bit of trouble...anyway, I'm sure most employees couldn't tell you who the copy right holder is when they refuse to print a job (outside of very popular art/characters/people), they are basically making an assumption that you are not the artist/creator of the work you've brought in to be printed...they can't/don't want to police other people's IP, only remove themselves from any liability should the copy right holder take action...
    Inkstud likes this.
  14. Bodknocks

Bodknocks Active Member

I'm curious as to what you guys are printing the cards on. Is there a standard of paper or something that makes it feel like a playing card?
  15. ApolloAndy

ApolloAndy Well-Known Member

I know a lot of people just use sleeves and playing cards or MTG lands as backing.
  16. Sun Bro

Sun Bro Member

I used regular letter size printer paper, then put an old Warlord CCG card behind each cut out. The sleeves I used have an opaque red backing so i didn't use the optional card backs.

EDIT: Curse you ninjaandy!!
  17. David BB

David BB New Member

If I want to print out both the core set and shadows, how many pages does it come to total? (assuming that I dont want double copies of gems purples and wounds)
  18. Inkstud

I didn't actually go back and tally this up just now, but IIRC it's roughly 50 - 55 8.5 x 11 sheets to print the whole thing without duplicating stuff.
  19. Inkstud

Hey guys what are penny sleeves? I spent like 50 bucks on dragonsleeves, all the while being very conscious that I was spending more money than I would on the chips, blegh
  20. Vateke

Vateke Member

Penny sleeves are a dollar for 100 sleeves. They are completely transparent and not stiff at all. I got mine at Wal Mart. The actual brand is "Ultra Pro"

I honestly think there are less useful cards than lands to use for backing, if you've been playing long enough.
  21. Sun Bro

Sun Bro Member

I feel your pain =/. Putting together my print and play was quite a learning experience. However, I regret nothing as I had it complete in time to play at Fanime. :D
  22. Vateke

Vateke Member

How long did it take other people to sleeve their cards? I spent about 7 hours just cutting and sleeving.
  23. Delha

Delha Active Member

Dragon Shields are pretty pricey, I definitely wouldn't have wanted to use those for this project.

I've definitely seen them from companies other than Ultra Pro, though I think theirs tend to be marginally nicer than the other manufacturers. Any hobby shop selling CCGs will probably have penny sleeves, especially if they run regular drafting events. If you regularly drop by YLGS (Your Local Gaming Store), that's an easy way to grab some without making a special trip and support them a bit in the process.

Seven hours? Jeebus. How much of that was cutting and how much was sleeving? Did you have a paper cutter, or did you just use scissors?
  24. Vateke

Vateke Member

Just scissors, I couldn't find a paper cutter. It's hard to say how much was what, as I did it one page at a time so I my hand wouldn't cramp up from cutting paper continuously. For reference, this was both sets minus redundant cards.

I watched stuff. It wasn't that bad.
  25. Delha

Delha Active Member

In my experience, using a paper cutter easily reduces the time by half, maybe more. Even watching other stuff while doing this would probably have driven me crazy.
    PePeQu likes this.