Spyro "Skylanders" rippin' off Fantasy Strike?

Discussion in 'Fantasy Strike' started by keithburgun, Apr 2, 2012.

1. keithburgun

keithburgun Banned

The Spyro line of games have this new line that came out in 2011 called Skylanders. I don't know much about it except that I saw that THIS guy is one of the characters:

[​IMG]
    This character's name is Argag... err, "Gill Grunt". What do you think of his design? Seems a little fishy to me.

2. pkt-zer0

pkt-zer0 Well-Known Member

It smells reely off, in fact. I sea your point.

3. Fry

Fry Well-Known Member

Argagarg is a pacifist, no way he would carry that huge gun

NoahTheDuke and keithburgun like this.
  4. Aesa

Aesa Well-Known Member

don't really see any similarities apart from blue fish guy

5. Delha

Delha Active Member

Argarg is a pretty much a murloc, and Blizz pretty directly ripped Games Workshop content way back when. I don't see anything coming of this.

If this thread was intended as a backhanded dig at Sirlin's concept... Well, I'd give you a 8/10 on the troll attempt.

NoahTheDuke likes this.
  6. keithburgun

keithburgun Banned

No no - certainly not a dig at Sirlin's concept (but wow, 8/10? That's pretty good... maybe I should have been trolling). I was just kind of shocked to see this character. I'm familiar with murlocs but they don't seem quite as similar as this guy does.

NoahTheDuke likes this.
  7. CrystalChaos

CrystalChaos Moderator Staff Member

Is Skylanders sufficiently original? Keithburgun weighs in.

Beikoku Taichou, Aesa, Polari and 5 others like this.
  8. Barrelfish

Barrelfish Member

9. keithburgun

keithburgun Banned

This post was not meant to be taken seriously.

(I think I need to start compulsively adding that to some of my posts around these parts)

NoahTheDuke likes this.
  10. Lofobal

Lofobal Well-Known Member

a good way to signal to others that your post is a joke is for it to be humourous

11. Inkstud

Inkstud Well-Known Member

I thought the "fishy" part was cute

12. Delha

Delha Active Member

When you can't honestly tell if it's a troll post or not, that's bonus points in my book. Probably not a good sign if you were hoping to ever pursue a hobby in comedy though.

13. garcia1000

garcia1000 World Champion Staff Member

I agree. Posts that can be interpreted as trolls or non-trolls are not good comedy.

14. Fry

Fry Well-Known Member

"Gill Grunt" is the noise you hear when you're getting your ass beat by the final boss of Third Strike

ImmortalJellyfish likes this.
  15. keithburgun

keithburgun Banned

"Troll post" ? How could this possibly be a troll post? Who exactly would I be trolling? The people who make Spyro toys?

16. CWheezy

CWheezy Well-Known Member

Is identifying a troll post a game or simply a memorization puzzle?

17. Delha

Delha Active Member

Well, the posts themselves are randomly generated and infinitely variable, so I'd assume that rules out the memorization puzzle possibility. Might still just be a contest, but then again, the value of actually judging correctly and calling out a troll post is ambiguous.

So I guess Keith's managed to demonstate an example of a True Game*. Bravo, sir.

*I fully endorse the use of this term moving forward to differentiate between your definition and everyone else's.

18. CWheezy

CWheezy Well-Known Member

Maybe they are infinitely variable, but what if there was a basic concept to every troll post?

19. pkt-zer0

pkt-zer0 Well-Known Member

It's not a puzzle, as there is no correct answer. It's not even an interactive system, seeing how the only winning move is not to play.

keithburgun likes this.
  20. Polari

Polari Well-Known Member

I don't think you can reduce all troll posts to a basic concept. Some of them originate truely new and innovative ideas, found within themselves.

garcia1000 likes this.
  21. keithburgun

keithburgun Banned

Well, we have to define what the goal of a "troll post" actually is. I think there are two kinds of troll posts:

1. The kind where a person says something strange or outlandish, with full intention of everyone knowing that they're trolling​

2. The kind where a person says something strange or outlandish, but is making a real attempt at actually convincing people he is being sincere when he actually is not​

The first kind is really easy to pull off, I think, but it still has a goal: essentially, this kind of a "troll post" is a person simply trying to be funny. I guess that this is probably the kind of trolling some of you accused me of. Its goal is pretty hard to nail down I'd say, since it's entirely subjective as to whether or not someone is funny (with the one notable exception being some of the members/admins of the Fantasy Strike community, who are obviously the ultimate and final authority on comedy, obviously).

The second kind makes a much better game, I think, because it's clear when you've successfully tricked someone into believing your post was legitimate. Of course, they can always do the "no!! I... I was trolling TOO with MY response!" but this is rarely believable (and itself a game I guess).

22. CrystalChaos

CrystalChaos Moderator Staff Member

keithburgame imo.

23. Delha

Delha Active Member

I bow to your wisdom.

24. Lofobal

Lofobal Well-Known Member

Humour is literally one of the four categories tested in the famous Dunning-Kruger experiment. It's a skill.

CWheezy likes this.
  25. zem

zem Super Moderator Staff Member

26. zem

zem Super Moderator Staff Member

more seriously, even if theres a way to objectively measure humor, i don't think "well-received in a fantasystrike.com thread" is the best one. keithburgun is not very funny though

27. garcia1000

garcia1000 World Champion Staff Member

keithburgun weighed in.

28. Beikoku Taichou

Beikoku Taichou Well-Known Member

Thanks to the comedy geniuses of fantasystrike.com, another bad thread is saved!

NoahTheDuke likes this.