The term "reset" in fighting games

Discussion in 'Street Fighter HD Remix' started by 94SupraTT, May 22, 2011.

1. 94SupraTT

94SupraTT Member

What does it mean? I've heard this term quite a bit on streams and tutorial videos but I can't get a grasp of what it means. I've seen instances when it is used when there is a throw which knocks an opponent across the screen and the distane between oppponents is like that of a match being reset. But I also believe I've seen it used in other instances.

2. Trevor

Trevor Member

I've always assumed it was any point past which a combo cannot continue. Typically a throw or knockdown.

3. DredNicolson

DredNicolson Active Member

Picture having just finished a combo and the opponent is choosing if/how to recover (tech recovery after an air combo in Guilty Gear for example). If you guess correctly what they will do during this window and get an opening to combo them again, then you "got the reset", so-called because their damage scaling has returned to normal and you will be doing big damage again.

That's just one meaning, of course. Reset is a lingo word that can mean several different things, as you've seen.

4. Kristoph

Kristoph Well-Known Member

"A reset" is when you intentionally stop a combo in the middle of it in order to try and start a new one; you're giving up guaranteed damage for a chance at a much larger payout, since the damage scaling "resets" back to zero.

"Resetting the situation/positioning" is just as you described.

"Resetting the bracket" is when the person in the loser's bracket takes the first set in grand finals. The bracket is "reset" because they have to beat the other finalist in a whole new set from scratch.

And an "American reset" is when you drop a combo by mistake, but your opponent isn't blocking so you get them in another combo anyway (okay this one is kind of obscure but whatever, I play Blazblue ^_^).

5. 94SupraTT

94SupraTT Member

Thanks everyone for the explanations!

6. Stew

Stew Member

I love the term, and the concept, of "american reset". Its basically a fail on both sides that the offense wins lol.

7. Lofobal

Lofobal Well-Known Member

Really? I hate it. It ties into the larger view of "lol we can never be as good as the japanese" that I hate about that community. Stop making excuses and up your game.

re: OP's question
    Resets don't necessarily require you to give up damage, although the game is better if they do. They also don't require scaling to be worthwhile. If I have a 20-hit combo, and I can do a reset after the tenth hit, those 10 plus the full 20-hit will do more than just the 20-hit, even without scaling.

8. Dan

Dan Member

You should consider joining the Super Smash Brothers community then. There's a fighting game where Japan hasn't had any players comparable to the top US ones for quite a while.

As a side note, a reset in Smash refers to the glitch where if someone hits the ground knocked down and fails to tech it, if they are hit within a very small window of time they are forced to immediately stand up. Usually people talk about jab resets, which is the bet way to abuse this and get a free grab. Unless you're Jigglypuff, and then if you're super-ultra-amazing you can get a free rest kill.

9. CWheezy

CWheezy Well-Known Member

I always thought a reset is when you hit the opponent out of the air with a non juggle move, so they go into a flip animation and land on their feet, and are in a reversal situation

10. Lofobal

Lofobal Well-Known Member

What? That has nothing to do with what I said. I am mad at American players for thinking they can't be good because they are American, and that not being Japanese is inherently inferior. It's an attitude problem.

11. zem

zem Super Moderator Staff Member

yeah, i think it's called that because it's usually used to reset a combo. like sakura in sf4 can do this instead of something more damaging, but since getting jabbed out of the air happens so quickly they have very little time to react to her dashing under or not and starting a new combo or throwing

12. BeastofBurden

BeastofBurden Well-Known Member

In some fighting games, a reset is also known as a dropped combo.;)

13. Effayy

Effayy Member

Wait people actually believe that? I was under the impression that everyone knew the Japanese have an overall stronger player base than the US because of the environment they have (arcades) that the US lacks, not because of their race.

14. BeastofBurden

BeastofBurden Well-Known Member

Also because the japanese are more willing to share information and secrets about the game & matchups for whatever reasons like culture &/or lack of money prize tournaments compared to the U.S.

15. blitzfu

blitzfu Member

A reset in SF2 is when you hit an airborne character with a grounded or jumping Normal Attack (eg jump Fierce, or standing Short) or Command Normal (eg Dhalsim's Drill or Zangief's Fierce Hop). A reset also occurs after teching a throw, or being released from a hold.

A reset is not a knocked down state, but the character is unable to do anything until they land on their feet. They are also in an invincible state from the point of impact until they reach the ground.

Fun fact: I have seen the CPU Ken do an Air Tatsu during a reset. :eek: