Tiers?

Discussion in 'Puzzle Fighter HD Remix' started by RaikohBlade, Oct 25, 2009.

1. RaikohBlade

RaikohBlade New Member

So is there a tier list for this game? What are the characters that are considered viable in tournament level play? Since the game has been rebalanced, there should be more viable characters than just Ken and Donovan. Also, what are the worst characters in the game? Besides Dan, of course.
  2. Jobber

Jobber Active Member

A handful of us at the Gamefaqs boards tried to figure this out on our own. Since there aren't really PF HDR tourneys, the best we can do is judge based on online play.

Here's a summary of the findings I can recall, in decreasing order of certainty:
    • Obviously, Dan is the worst.
    • Akuma is the best.
    • Ken is still awesome, but is disadvantaged against Akuma.
    • Ryu is pretty good, maybe Ken good overall, and a safer pick against Akuma.
    • Sakura and Felicia are much improved, but still stink and you might as well use a Shoto. Felicia is the worse of the two.
    • Devilot is awful. Even in heads-up against Akuma, where she's supposed to be about even, it feels like a mismatch. This is probably because no top players use Devilot, and people are used to fighting Akuma v. Akuma matches and taking on more damage. Akuma v. Devilot means taking less damage than Akuma mirror, but having all your offensive strength. In short, fighting against Devilot means build with impunity; you will not be super combo finished. At the best she's just above Sakura, but she might be the absolute worst.
    • Chun-Li is a lot of fun, and can be really dangerous, but probably is disadvantaged due to her lousy counter gem. Not Shoto good overall, but closer to the top of the list.
    • I never bought into Donovan. He's winnable, but top players on the rankings list (PSN and Live) don't really use him. I think he's average.
    • Hsien-Ko is probably winnable, but generally is rarely used, let alone used well. I'd say right below the Shotos.
    • I don't get Morrigan at all. Nobody made a strong opinion on her either way. All I know is that her pattern looks good, but for whatever reason I can't get more wins with her. I want to say she's about as good as Donovan, but my experience says she's not.
  3. RaikohBlade

RaikohBlade New Member

Ah, thank you for the info. Why is Akuma considered the best? I thought he takes 120% damage. Isn't this a serious enough handicap to balance him out? Also, do you suggest I play this game with the Xbox 360 controller's d-pad or my madcatz TE arcade stick?
  4. Jobber

Jobber Active Member

In practice, I found Akuma's harder-to-exploit-and-counter drop pattern makes up for the 120% damage multiplier. So if you can continually apply pressure on your opponents, they'll have a harder time digging out of the mess you leave for them. The power gems your opponents make against solid Akuma play ends up becoming noticeably smaller, so the damage multiplier becomes negated. Akuma is a trendy pick among players online, but his learning curve is a little high. If you can't keep up the pace of your opponent, and you're using Akuma, then the 120% multiplier will hit you hard.

I learned playing PF on PS1 and GBA, so I had a harder time playing at the arcades, and also on my friend's 360. I still don't like playing on a 360 pad, but it's fairly comfortable for play and a lot of players like it. I would recommend a pad overall; it's a little easier to play faster because d-pad's "click" so it's a little easier to move pieces precisely one, two, or three spaces to the sides quickly without overshooting. I did experiment play with my HRAP on the PSN side, but it just wasn't for me.
  5. RaikohBlade

RaikohBlade New Member

I see, then it is a matter of preference. I will see what suits me best. I am not a very good player, so using Akuma would not be very smart. i will probably stick with using Ryu or Ken as they seem like pretty solid choices.
  6. Jobber

Jobber Active Member

My advice would be Ryu is a better candidate for learning the game. Ken, too, has a high learning curve, possibly steeper than Akumas. With Ken, if you do too many small drops, you feed your opponent a lot of red pieces, with greens scattered in there (i.e. he plays a bit like Dan!). Until you get comfortable in doing sizable drops on your opponent, Ken can be quite the headache. I guess for learning, Donovan also comes in handy.
  7. RaikohBlade

RaikohBlade New Member

Alright then, Ryu it is. Thanks for all your help regarding this game.