to reform from competition

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by keobas, Sep 26, 2009.

1. keobas

keobas New Member

Ive been playing fighting games ever since I was only 6 years old and still playing them a lot to this day. I've changed from a simple masher to an annalist who study fighting games too much. I was eager to become part of the community around these games to have my chance at the exciting competition.

For years now Ive been studying, training, and developing competitive mindset to play these games for my opportunity at competing. But in the process I lost my blissful joy of playing these game for fun. I've become obsessed with trying to compete and win. At first I though competition will be fun,till I find myself being depress over my short coming at competitive play, and becoming a bitter sore loser in the long run.Many times I've try to quite fighting games, with negative results. Games in general have always been an influence on me, so simply avoiding all together was difficult.

Since I couldn't resist playing these games. I try studying competition to form an understanding, with hope to developed some humility towards competition. Yet I was unable to do this. Instead I've become disappointed in the community since I couldn't draw myself to agree to some of the concepts of competitions that the fighting game community has adopted.

Realizing this I figure I wasn't suited to be part of this community. I''m currently in the process of trying to become casual gamer again. I'm practicing moderation but I fear its not enough.
  2. RoieTRS

RoieTRS Active Member

I played a UMS on battle.net (starcraft) yesterday, and I selected a marine. I play protoss, so it isn't everyday that I select a marine and hear "Commander? Go go go!"

The sound instantly reminded me of when I first played the campaign, back when i first borrowed the game from a friend. When I wrote strategies in notebooks and plotted how to beat the dreaded carriers.

I don't have that type of fun anymore from any game. I've always thought of it as me growing out of gaming in one sense, but growing into it in another.

Maybe if I erase my memory, I can find games like Super Mario challenging. Or maybe I'll find games like Morrowind immersive enough to make me explore just for the sake of exploring. But now, I can only think that mario games are just a puzzle. Games like morrowind are just a story, but you don't get anything out of it. I think "why should I go into this cave? There might be a super awesome treasure. But when I beat the game, I'm going to get bored of it and quit, so what is the point?" and thoughts like that keep me from even wanting to play it in the first place.

On a plus side though, I'll never get bored of starcraft like I used to back in the day. In fact, I was just talking to my friend that got me into Dawn of War, asking to play some dawn of war. His response was "Not today, I don't want to get bored of it yet". I thought that was a stupid response, but I didn't feel like trying to convince him otherwise, so we didn't play. He hasn't played dawn of war since. I have always wanted to keep playing it, but have no one to play it with anymore.

My question for you: Are you bored of fighting games?

Edit: Everything I hear about the fighting game community is bad. I never hear good things from it. My advice: play starcraft.
  3. Waterd103

Waterd103 Well-Known Member

Personally, I can't understand the life without competition, imo that's all about it.
    Maybe there are other porpouses, maybe there are other ways to get joy of life. I just don't and i can't understand how others can.
    All my life and i'm 27, was about competition, in one way or another. I do enjoy other things in life though, but they are short of life, like eating a nice cake.
    My point is, why would you stop being competitive?
    If you really do play games so much, is just natural to want to be competitive.
    And you must understand something. I do not play to win. I rarely do if ever. That is under Sirlin conception of playing to win. I don't find "playing to win" fun. I say that because maybe your confusing the points, maybe you found that playign to win, isn't fun anymore to you, but it doesn't mean at all, that you should stop being competitive.

I have more to say about the issue since it's a central point in my life, but, i think I said enough to do enough debate for now.

That is unless I understood your premise wrongly. That you just want to stop playing games for a long period of your time. Then all i can say, is find things to spend your time on. But i doubt they would be much out of the scoope of competition. For me, a man that comes and tells "I want to stop being competitive" is the same than him telling me "I want to stop having the urge of sex" or "I don't want to enjoy tasty food anymore". Well clearly some people get to that point, but generally my answer is "aren't those the joys you get in life?".
    If the sex you get is bad, or the food you eat doesn't taste really good, maybe you should change your sources, not the search in itself.
  4. Xom

Xom Well-Known Member

> George Leonard's Mastery: The Keys to Success and Long-Term Fulfillment
    This book does a good job of describing the specific sort of enjoyment that comes from competitive gaming.

As for the type of fun gotten from formulating novel strategies in unfamiliar games, you should look into Euro-style boardgames; it's pretty common for a playgroup to go through a large number of games over the course of several months, each seeing play a handful of times.
    Also, Kuhhandel a.k.a. "Animal Auction à Gogo" is incredibly deep and the best non-electronic game ever; it's also impossible to find, and I get my copies by having extended family members buy them for me from Shanghai's first FLGS, which you should totally visit if you're ever in Shanghai (most of the regulars speak English).
  5. Kayin

Kayin Well-Known Member

The fighting game community is actually pretty great. The "bad" things you hear is that SRK is a cesspit of idiots. That said ,most of the tournaments I go to are mostly for the social aspect. I didn't even enter the last time I went. I just helped run brackets and hung out with people.

I've realize that I'm not really truly competitive awhile ago. While I do well in NY at a number of games, I don't have the drive and hunger to be the best or travel to far off Majors and the likes, which is necessary to get REALLY good.

Though I didn't really have to reform my self after realizing this, because trying to play in a competitive PTW style is the only way I have fun in fighters. I just accepted my limitations. One thing I do like to do for 'fun' is learn random ass bad games with people and play until they break.
  6. keobas

keobas New Member

Truthfully no and I cant seem to get any other enjoyment out of other games. I do hear star crafts are great strategy games and I probably could be good in them how ever I was raised on fighting games and I like games that are fast (star craft matches can take a while, also they require heavy thinking under real time combat).

You do have good point their. Like I said, I thought it was ok for me to be competitive. In fact theirs nothing wrong with it. But the problem is ME, I'm not a responsible competitive player(a mature one anyway). I've become frustrated with my repeated loses. Admittedly losing is a learning experience, but their that other factor that I want, I want to feel rewarded for something. I can spend an excessive amount of time to training and developing style of a play for that one game, but if I dont see results I tend to get frustrated.

I can see about giving this some read. Though I'm afraid to say that I think I know where my values lies in competitive gaming, I just think that the community will not appreciate it because it revolves around concept that isn't playing to win.

Its not my goal to win but to improve. In a sense this kind of contradicting but I try to play game with my personal values and my own ideal of Competitive integrity. Maybe this book can help me. Thanks

That may Indeed be the case. But I think I'm far too immature of player to understand SRK and majority of the fighting game community. I have strong personal values that just don't fit with the current community competitive mindset. I play by my own impose rules on myself.that can cause me stress. But at the same time I cant just wright them off because I personally want to believe in these values (plus I try changing this but I feel uncomfortable). This is what make me a immature player. That's why I feel I need to reform.
  7. RoieTRS

RoieTRS Active Member

I think I was lucky to be raised with RTS.

Throwing is just way too cheap for me.