Want to start a web comic. Can't draw. Not sure how to proceed.

Discussion in 'General Chit-chat' started by specs, Apr 7, 2012.

1. specs

specs Well-Known Member

Want to turn ongoing series idea into a web comic. My drawing skills have atrophied from years of non-use. Not sure how to proceed. Open to suggestions. Re-learn how to draw? Seek out artist (and colorer)? Wracking brain for answers.

Making thread mostly in hopes that typing out problem in poor grammar fragments helps. Brain not finding best answer. Fish battery makes sounds in the AM.
  2. Bucky

Bucky Well-Known Member

Practice drawing the major characters a lot before you start. Also, a surprising number of webcomic artists couldn't draw very well either when they started.
    specs likes this.
  3. CWheezy

CWheezy Well-Known Member

Look at tim buckley, he can't draw at all and yet his web comic has been going on for years
    specs likes this.
  4. rozencrantz

rozencrantz Active Member

Onlinecomics.net has a talent-pool forum, when I used it there were like 10 "artist wanted" posts for every "writer wanted" post though. I dredged up a lot of flakes, and not much else. Having money to throw at the problem is a big help.
    specs likes this.
  5. specs

specs Well-Known Member

Thanks for the responses everyone!
  6. DredNicolson

DredNicolson Active Member

You could also 'fake' drawings with a 3D modeling package coupled with line rendering and toon shading (and then use photoshop or whatever for post-production touch up). This would need some knowledge of how to 3D model, of course.
    specs likes this.
  7. Logo

Logo Well-Known Member

specs likes this.
  8. Oni

Oni Active Member

If object-based hand drawing (2D and 3D) is any interest, there's Sketching: Drawing Techniques for Product Designers, Eissen and Steur. May not be what you need but it's an option, good for building confidence and I can provide sample pages.
    specs likes this.
  9. specs

specs Well-Known Member

Again, 8 bazillion thank yous to everyone!

@ Logo:

I did not know about that site's existence and will add it to my arsenal of online resources. Muchos gracias.

@ Oni:

Can you PM me a sample page? 7 quadrillion thank yous.
  10. Oni

Oni Active Member

Pages are here:
    http://goo.gl/Zrqaj
    http://goo.gl/l80fn
    http://goo.gl/tQnbA
    http://goo.gl/dOhsd

There are books that give tutorials on basics however from these pages I think you can get a gist of things, this is the only drawing book I have and it's often best to simply try. Note straight lines often best drawn with a free hand (not fixing it in place as you draw) and if you 'mime' the line before drawing it.
    specs likes this.
  11. specs

specs Well-Known Member

Remind me to, when I take over this planet, give you Australia or something, Oni. Much thanks.
  12. sloppyJoe

sloppyJoe Member

Simply start drawing again. If you draw something every day you'll quickly improve to a point where you'll like your drawings (again?). As people above already pointed out, many of the now incredibly popular webcomics started out with fairly bad drawings, check out Penny Arcade for instance.

There is one thing to keep in mind though. Don't wait too long to start publishing. You can always get better at drawing, and if you insist on waiting until you can draw you might end up waiting a very long time as your definition of being able to draw well will change as you get better at drawing. Besides, there's no better motivation to actually doing stuff then having a publishing schedule to follow.
    specs likes this.
  13. Lemmingrad

Lemmingrad Well-Known Member

Another example of webcomic that started with bad art and over the years gotten progressively good http://noneedforbushido.com/

But really, you just gotta get stuff out there or it'll stay in development hell. A comic project a buddy and I are working on has now become a strain cause of spending many years in development hell (it's gone over stages where now new inspirations and influences that we encounter over the years are threatening to rewrite the whole thing from scratch... again. We really need to sit down and finalize something.)
    specs likes this.
  14. LoneKnight

LoneKnight Well-Known Member

smbc-comics.com is also an all time fav. The guy couldn't draw for shit. Hell, if XKCD can stay afloat, you may as well try stick figures.
    specs likes this.
  15. garcia1000

garcia1000 World Champion Staff Member

Look at the progression in art quality from these early strips:
    [​IMG]

To this:
    [​IMG]
    ChumpChange, Turbo164, zem and 2 others like this.
  16. poseidal

poseidal New Member

In terms of drawing and forgetting how, I've found it more like riding a bike. It's a bit shaky when you go back to it after a long while, but once you re-adapt you can get back up to scratch. It might vary with different standards though; if your standards were a lot higher than mine it might be harder to get back up to pace.
    specs likes this.
  17. specs

specs Well-Known Member

Did I mention I'm super thankful for all the answers here and, if this webcomic flies and makes me mega rich and I take over this ball of iron orbiting the bigger ball of volatile superhot gas, I'll give you each a lake or something?

Because if not: I'm super thankful for all the answers here and, if this webcomic flies and makes me mega rich and I take over this ball of iron orbiting the bigger ball of volatile superhot gas, I'll give you each a lake or something.
  18. link6616

link6616 Well-Known Member

Pfft, lakes. Lochs, those are where it's at
    specs likes this.
  19. CWheezy

CWheezy Well-Known Member

Fuck yes, incoming lake.

Although you remembering me is like, a 0% chance. Unless you hire me as a mod to work your forums, which I would do for only the nominal fee of 25 dollars per ban
    specs likes this.
  20. Turbo164

Turbo164 Well-Known Member

As long as they have fjords.
    specs and link6616 like this.