What do you feel when people misses opportunites on your face?

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by Waterd103, Mar 8, 2009.

1. Waterd103

Waterd103 Well-Known Member

I mean, i think this will only touch on the hearts of people that would love to make a good movie or game.
    But what you feel when people are given 20 million dollars to do a movie, and they do this

2. Carlos77

Carlos77 New Member

Quoting your article.

Box office

Despite mixed reviews from critics, Beverly Hills Chihuahua was a commercial success. The film grossed $29,300,465 on its opening weekend from 3,215 theaters, averaging about $9,114 per theater, and ranking #1 at the box office for that weekend.[7] On its second weekend, the film arrived #1 again with $17,502,077.[8] As of January 11, 2009, Beverly Hills Chihuahua has grossed $94 million in domestic and $23.8 million in other territories leading up to a total of $117.9 million worldwide.

600% ROI and you complain? Oh, you meant make a good, artistic work? If so why look at Hollywood? They're only interested in making a buck. It's called showbusiness, not showart.

3. Waterd103

i'm not complaining, read my question again, you bring a good point, but one that wasn't the main point of the thread.

4. Carlos77

Carlos77 New Member

My fren', your point has no point. It's the same as asking why NASA doesn't use the funding they get to cure cancer. Sure, they could give it a shot but that's not their objective. Same w/ the people who made the film you mentioned.

Sorry if I came across as arrogant.

5. Waterd103

Yes, my point is a simple question, i'm not asking why they do what they do, i'm asking what people FEEL, when they see this, i'm just asking for feelings ,that's why i posted it on Psychology.
    read the question.

6. FinalSlayer

FinalSlayer Banned

And here we have WaterD, experiencing the same frustration I do when idiots have trouble digesting the simplest of statements and posts.

Focus-

I've often thought about this question, also. It must REALLY fuck with your mind if you're the creator of a superior product.

For instance, KayinN mentioned how incensed he was and is to this very day about "7 Minutes" considered an indie game to his own "IWTBTG". And he's right.

"7 Minutes" is a horrible game with dreadful level design that takes no time or effort, a high school level story about attaining "Ultimate Power" encased with arrogance and presented in a SERIOUS manner, and visual effects that hurt my eyes.

Compared to his own painstaking, long, creative, FUNNY game, with excellent level design, it's like night and day.

And yet, critics called the first one better, and it fucks with one's head.

7. Waterd103

While i think that IWBTG is a superior game 7 minutes is not a horrible game, it has good points, and i would recommend anyone interested in indie games or game design to try it out. Btw i loved the timer :p

Anyway, while what you say it's useful to the thread i was expecting something more on the feelings of budget.

You know like "i really would love to do this, and do it well, if just have 200k to use it, i could make something great" And see that some people out there have your chance of doing something great with 20M and well, they do crap.

Maybe it would help to say that it grows my misanthropy feelings. This happen because there is demand for that, this kind of movies get more budget because there is more demand for it. Again what do i feel? more dislike for the humanity in general.
    I just wanted to know how other peoplr feel about it. I'm sure that it touches more on the people that are working on projects, liek films, music and games, and they see they can't progress faster or better on their work, because they don't have that money to spare, and i think it hurts. But I think it hurts, i'm asking YOU, does it?

Disclaimer- I'm not arguing here that this is actually an interesting topic, it more like a discharge of my own feelings and see what other people happen to think or feel in this situation. I wasn't trying to create an interesting or productive discussion here.

8. garcia1000

garcia1000 World Champion Staff Member

This is why one of my callings is not "produce a great work of art"

9. Carlos77

Carlos77 New Member

Why don't you go fuck yourself? By the way, I answered the question on both posts if only implicitly. By explaining why the question is not a question for me I'm implying I don't feel anything about such missed opportunities. Read between the lines much, idiot? Or do you need everything spelled out? Thought so.

10. FinalSlayer

FinalSlayer Banned

And here we have the classical, angry passive-aggressive drivel from a mouth-breathing cretin called out on his blithering idiocy.

You're a fucking moron and a loser.

You failed to understand what WaterD was asking, and typed up a bunch of useless shit. You got called out on it. Instead of pissing your pants with fury, do everyone a huge favor and shut the fuck up, or better yet, slam your forehead repeatedly against the keyboard until it's broken, or better yet, you stop moving.

And according to Carlos, the fact that everyone thinks he's an idiot isn't because his posts were moronic or anything, but rather because people didn't "read between the lines", or in other words, "use psychic abilities to figure out the crazy shit inside my drug-addled mind".

Serious question; was it the drugs that made you mentally retarded, or were you always this way?

Focus

Honestly, I used to feel this way a lot. Especially in high school. Eventually though, I stopped caring, and realized that great art still gets made, despite all the barriers, and that focusing so much on the other shit is a waste of time and effort.

11. icewolf34

icewolf34 Well-Known Member

Really, no one else thought about coming in here and making bukkake jokes?

Depending on the context, sometimes I find it helps to think of these things as a tax on stupid people. Like: someone makes dumb blockbuster movie, spends lots of money on advertising online. Easily influenced people click on the ads and go to the movie! This helps to subsidize my web browsing.

So I am not that mad about the stuff that does get made, although of course I am sad when stuff I like (Arrested Development, Firefly, etc) gets cut.

It's also possible that I'm just not good enough yet at any of the things I do creatively to feel that I "deserved" to be published in place of someone else's work.

12. Logo

Logo Well-Known Member

At least with things like the movie mentioned by the OP they're 'creative' enough to come up with a 'new' idea, or at least rip off an idea no one cares about. They COULD be taking IPs that are actually good and ruining them.

13. Jrix

Jrix New Member

Intrinsically, I feel like I am a part of a race of retards. The only way such a movie can exist, is for intelligence to be channeled through the bureaucracy created by those with IQ points that can be no higher than the average lifespan of a human.

However:

Since you posted this, naturally, I have a bias to disagree with you, since you're a guy on the internet.
    It's good though, since this bias allows me to think in ways I wouldn't think normally. My self-realization of this also allows me to compensate for the bias, resulting in a coherent thought on the matter.

The movie probably has its niche. They're probably people I personally don't like too much in real life. My aunt loves this movie, my aunt also thinks that anyone who says a cuss word is an immoral asshole. If anything it can be considered one more part in the virtually infinite expanse of human creativity.

I would also say that humans are pretty unpredictable in the entertainment world. One can make educated guess, but not particularly know with unwavering confidence that something will succeed. Maybe they might strike a cord? Maybe they might get new information that results in the release of this movie.

I googled the main writers, Analisa LaBianco and Jeff Bushell.

This is apparently Analisa's first project, I could not find any additional information on her, I suspect these two met through friends, and somehow created this unholy concoction.

Jeff is a writer with reasonable experience in comedy. MadTV, What I Like About You, Bernie Mac Show. I have not seen the movie, I guess the humor derived from these shows (Which for the most part I personally like) could very well show itself in this movie.

Yet another rationalization to make this movie existing in a sane world possible...
    Ok so I imagine the screenwriter, Analisa, coming into contact with Jeff. Perhaps she is hot, and Jeff wants to impress her. She somehow mentions to him that she's written, or has this idea, about this movie. Jeff, with his writing experience, seeks to court her by saying he will improve upon the screenplay, and use his connections to see if it can go somewhere. (I personally have written a short story to impress a girl, based on an idea she vaguely mentioned to me, she was quite ecstatic when I presented it to her)

FUCK
    WTF AM I SAYING
    THIS MOVIE IS GAY
    THE PEOPLE WHO MADE IT ARE GAYER
    FUCK THIS WORLD
    FUCK