What's the problem with PSN HDR?

Discussion in 'Street Fighter HD Remix' started by arstal, Sep 29, 2009.

1. arstal

arstal Member

I'm switching consoles tomorrow most likely. Microsoft screwed up my account, and I don't want to risk that again.
  2. JigglyNorris

JigglyNorris New Member

- High voices
    - Button configuration save bug
    - Online drops waaaay to many frames
    - Connections are normally laggy

What else......?
  3. Kayin

Kayin Well-Known Member

It's not that bad. 90% of my matches have been nice, but I'm sure I've played some people who lagged who wouldn't have on XBL. Just don't play on wireless and you'll beat most of the PSN complaints. The only notable thing is there are more occasional mid game hiccups.

Also the button save bug is terrible but thats not PSN related. How did they not patch that with everything else?
  4. Beikoku Taichou

Beikoku Taichou Well-Known Member

I only play friendly and only on pings that are less than 200 so I rarely encounter noticable rollback. I imagine that would be different if you played ranked or with friends but I don't know...

I have been dropped from more games than I would like but since I've never played on XBL I cannot compare. I'll take the word of people who say XBL is better, but PSN is still playable.
  5. Kayin

Kayin Well-Known Member

I think the thing that kills ranked is the fact that 90% of people are playing on wireless. The amount of good connections then drastically drops. Since I only generally play people I know, I'm with BT. I never have much of a problem because I don't play randoms, but if that is something you like to do, it might be a real disappointment.
  6. BullDancer

BullDancer New Member

Meh, Id say poor netcode and glitched game overall as far as online play. I own both systems and dont play ps3 but I have played it at a friends house with a good connection and it was horrible. Random glitches and bugs occur much more frequently than xbox live, and overseas play is impossible compared to 360 netcode which ranges from little lag and rollback to playable with the assumption that both users connections are working correctly. Anything but local play, and matches with people like one state over are fine though but thats pretty limiting in my opinion.

Short summary of my post: You get what you pay for. I can support my HDR habit with roughly $4.15 a month, now whats not to like about that... Im have withdraw symptoms when i cant have HDR, what about you?
  7. Gabb

Gabb New Member

I pretty much have the same opinion as Kayin in that 90% of my matches go pretty well even when I am forced to rarely use wireless. The only issue I have now adays is actually finding people! seems like no one plays friend quick match anymore!

Even though XBL is probably better, I still don't think it's worth the 50 bucks of whatever per year since I'm primarily a PC gamer anyways.
  8. Jobber

Jobber Active Member

I'm in the 90% camp, as well. Most matches I have over PSN go fine. It's not as good as XBL, but for free, the service is worth to check out, and you might even enjoy yourself.

I don't know if this is a problem exclusive to the PSN side, but there are times when I'd start a fight, but then both players get kicked from the room. That's by far the most annoying bug I've noticed on the PSN side; the button save issue and the lag between going from the opening menus seem like minor hassles in comparison.
  9. Blicen

Blicen New Member

The visuals of the PS3 version actually look dramatically worse then the 360 version, as in the sprites look very blocky and jaggy around the edges. I've noticed this several times going back and forth between versions, game is still playable but I just don't like playing it on the PS3 at all.

And as Kayinn pointed out, the majority of lag comes from people using wireless on their PS3s. Sure, the PS3 has built in wireless, but its pretty damn shitty. Wireless isn't always a good option by default for gaming but the wireless in the PS3 is something else....
  10. Pasky13

Pasky13 New Member

I notice no difference in visuals.

The problems I have with the PSN version is matches not starting and after this occurs, I can't connect to anything unless I restart my PS3. Lobbies will also just crap out randomly. One person wont connect, they d/c from the lobby, then anyone else left in the lobby who tries to play also hangs and d/c's.

I think a lot of it comes from the netcode HDR uses, wish they had just used the GGPO code they licensed...that and I think it's the fact that some people are using wireless on the PS3, which we all know, drops packets no matter what, resulting in characters teleporting during rollbacks.
  11. FMJaguar

FMJaguar Administrator

What account did Microsoft 'mess' up? How is it not fixed by using the cheaper live cards via internet sales?
  12. Sirlin

Sirlin Steward of the Realm Staff Member

The sprites are scaled using a different method, so yeah Blicen is not crazy on that. Button config bug. Menu has 2 second pause all the time even in offline mode. Game speed is wrong. Online has more trouble detecting disconnects (sony has no arbitration servers to handle this but MS does). Everyone says PSN online experience is generally worse, more laggy/rollbacks (I can't confirm, but ask Blicen or SweetJohnnyV, they've both done tests of playing both versions, one right after the other, online). Less competition because most people are on 360.

I suspect there's even worse stuff like possibly dropped inputs. Ask Blicen about his test using turbo button at certain rate that does activate lighting legs on 360 but does not activate it on PSN.

In short, switching sounds like a horrible decision. The better online experience alone should be enough reason not to switch, even regardless of all those bugs. Throw in "more competition," again even without all those bugs, and...yeah.
  13. arstal

arstal Member

Well, HDR isn't the reason.

Paying for online and Microsoft billing issues were the reason. I asked them to take my credit card off my account, and they cancelled my account and cost me the rest of my time, and deleted my stuff.

I do think the PSN issues hurt HDR overall though. This gen online is important- look how KOFXII died quick due to shitty online.
  14. Kayin

Kayin Well-Known Member

The lightning leg thing is false. Blicen and I confirmed that turbo rates on TEs are inconsistent. My theory is sometimes the game starts up with flawed inputs or some TE sticks do not mesh right sometimes with HDR. Besides that and the speed comment (since EVERY version of SF2 has different speeds, even individual arcade boards, so 'wrong' doesn't mean much).

Rest is pretty much right on though, of course.
  15. Blicen

Blicen New Member

We've all discovered at SB4 that the PS3 versions "speed 3" is actually slower then the 360's "speed 3" for some reason, hence we actually utilized "speed 4" for the tournament and apparently a lot of the high level players approved of it over PSN "speed 3", that would explain a lot of things. Even though speed 4 to me didn't feel right either, I'll just go along with what the other players say though. Even then testing the lightning legs without turbo, sticks side by side and hitting the kicks in sync with eachother it looked like the PS3 didn't register it anywhere near as much as the 360 version. Could it be the stick? Maybe but I kind of doubt it at this point after SB4 and such.

Also at SB4, a lot of us on PS3 HDR felt like we were getting owned by dropped inputs. All of us there played like 360 HDR exclusively anyway, so the fact we all have to deal with the PS3 version is kind of shitty. I will actually not enter HDR tournaments anymore if they are run on a PS3.

I've concluded that version of the game isn't up to par and it shouldn't be used in tournaments. I'll have to test more though, something really just tells me the PS3 version isn't a go. This isn't due to the fact that I hate the PS3, its just everytime I've played PS3 HDR it has never felt exactly right.
  16. Kayin

Kayin Well-Known Member

Oh well I'm not saying the speeds aren't different, just that 'wrong' is kind of a 'whatever' statement considering SF2 has historically been inconsistent. If a standard is made then sure, you could say it's 'wrong' from a standards(which doesn't really exist yet) standpoint. If somehow the PS3 version was way better, then 360 would be the 'wrong' speed. So I can't rightfully see that as something 'wrong' with the ps3 version.

That said, theres enough other issues to make your case. I just take issue with that one, other then noting that the lightning legs thing has no bearing on any of this and that there is some other mystery issue that has yet to be figured out.
  17. Sirlin

Sirlin Steward of the Realm Staff Member

Hold on right there. Yes it is wrong speed on PS3. All the speed testing to ensure correct arcade speed was on 360, not on PS3. I played 360 version every day for over a year, but never even had a PS3 dev kit. The 360 speed is "correct" and the PS3 speed is "not correct." Or if you would rather not use arcade as a standard, even though we spent so much effort matching it, then the "correct" version is the one we playtested for over a year. All balance testing and playtest matches were on 360. So that is the "correct" speed, even regardless of matching arcade.
  18. Kayin

Kayin Well-Known Member

Depending on the arcade board you used, you'd get a different standard anyways. But if that particular board is the standard, then sure (though it sounds like the difference is greater then the board to board variation)
  19. Thelo

Thelo Administrator Staff Member

Ganelon tested the speeds of Xbox 360 and PS3, and claims that both are identical, at least offline: http://forums.shoryuken.com/showthread.php?t=208872

20. Thelo

Also, SweetJV found that the Xbox and PS3 versions share the button config bug, and a way to avoid it:

21. Kayin

Kayin Well-Known Member

So you played a decent bit on the PS3 over the weekend. Did you notice anything? This seems to all come down to some sort of mysterious difference in inputs but no one seems to be able to find anything concrete. Even when I thought I found something yesterday while playing you, I'm still not sure if it was my shitty JLF, rust, or an actual input error!
  22. Thelo

I thought it was a bit slower than I'm used to, but I think that's actually an offline vs online difference. I didn't notice anything wrong with "dropped inputs" though.
  23. AHVB

AHVB New Member

For me/my TV, everything looks blurred while the 360 version is clear and crisp, and I can't get a good screen size to fit to my TV while on the 360 the default screen setting was perfect. Also on PSN, you can't avoid players, meaning I've gotten the same disconnector 3 times in a row.
  24. Waterd103

Waterd103 Well-Known Member

I will buy a PS3 or a 360. The main use is to play HD remix.

A plus is to play puzzle fighter hd remix.

There is the problem, it seems that the 360 version is better than the ps3 based on comments.

But in PS3 I have little big planet.

Based on some comments here it seems that on 360 there is a chance to play overseas (i'm in argentina, it would be nice to be able to play wtih people USA)

If that chance is real, i think I will go for the 360.
    But if itt's not real and won't be able to play in eithe case i will go for a ps3.

Can anyone give me more info on how better the 360 network code is and if i, and im in argentina, have any chance to enjoy hd remix against people in USA?
  25. Jobber

Jobber Active Member

With XBox360, if you want to play out of market/region games, you can get yourself a console of the region in question and purchase online games that way. Folks in Japan have done this with SF HDR. With PS3, I think you're at the mercy of your geographical location, regardless of whatever region-coded unit you're using. I don't know if HDR was officially released in Argentina, but if it wasn't you pretty much have to go the XBox route, and you'd probably have to get a console pegged for the US or other market where HDR was released.

Also, I'd say XBox Live is without a doubt a stronger service. In my experience, it's a little faster and has fewer disconnects for all games. The problem is that it's a paid service, and IMO not one that's leaps and bounds better than PSN's. If you want to play your online games, you gotta pay the monthly fee. As far as bang for your buck goes, I think PSN and XBL are fairly comparable.
  26. Blicen

Blicen New Member

For LIVE content like arcade games it doesn't matter what region encoding you have on your console as region encoding only effects what DVD based games you can play, it only matters what region you registered your XBL account under. Now some content actually has actual region restrictions based on your geographical location but its very rare for a game or demo to do that UNLESS its a digital download of a game that is also available at retail in the designated locations they were released, or if Microsoft wants to restrict a download to a specific region geographically only (They did this to the RE5 demo when it first came out in Japan since every American with a JP account downloaded the demo when it was suppose to be JP exclusive) This is entirely my understanding of the XBL marketplace and digital downloads though, but what I stated seems to be pretty accurate to my knowledge.

You should be able to obtain HDR without a problem on an 360 but if you were also interested in games that may not be released in your location due to region encoding then honestly, and I hate to say it, the PS3 is the way to go since the PS3 is actually a region free system as for as physical media based storage go (except for blu-ray movies but that doesn't matter) However, I would highly recommend a 360 since its the system of choice for remotely anyone that wants an online service that is worth a damn.
  27. Waterd103

Waterd103 Well-Known Member

Thanks for your comments.
    Still, my question reamins, if it's possible to have an acceptable delay to play against people in USA or not. If the answer is not, i couldn't care less about online play.

Some people say that 360 plays fine overseas, Sirlin told me that he can't play well with people outside of USA.

If the 360 code or something allow me to play against people in USA i will get a 360, otherwise I will go for a ps3.
  28. Jobber

Jobber Active Member

Keep in mind, though, that Sirlin is a seasoned tourney pro, and he probably has a higher standard for what's "acceptable" game conditions. I think it's been noted on this board that some players who've had success against Sirlin on relatively good online connections saw greater difficulty against him in live, local matches in part due to the lack of handicap for Sirlin caused by game latency. If you're a more casual player, or someone accustomed to playing the bulk of your matches online, lag might be less of a nuisance for you.

When it comes to the question of whether to purchase a PS3 or XBox360, I think the XB is the way to go if you consider yourself an intense online player. If you're not as invested as a gamer, or want a more versatile machine, the PS3 these days, in America, gives you more bang for your buck. Microsoft hides the cost of their consoles by stripping it down and forcing you to buy extra proprietary hardware. Yeah, that kinda ticks me off. :mad: But if you're willing to shell out a few extra bucks, XB's service is higher end.