~/* Witchhunt 5 *\~

Discussion in 'Forum Games' started by Chocolate Pi, Jan 3, 2011.

1. Arkaal

Arkaal Member

That's a... unique approach to recruitment.
  2. ChadMiller

ChadMiller Well-Known Member

well part of the problem is that because the game turned degenerate I only "sort of" care at this point

though I will try to silence correctly and just end it, so we can finally have our first witch win and start having massive tirades about balance
  3. Chocolate Pi

Chocolate Pi Well-Known Member

Golden119, garcia1000, and Prime Intellect have been killed.

garcia1000 the Survivalist and Prime Intellect as Cupid were Silenced.

Witches Win!

Role-list and thoughts incoming.
  4. Chocolate Pi

Chocolate Pi Well-Known Member

Unsorted, by original player:

('Sotek', 'Traveller')
    ('Karrius', 'B.O.D.')
    ('ChadMiller', 'Silencer (WITCH)')
    ('garcia1000', 'Survivalist')
    ('sukaeto', 'Spiritualist')
    ('Romdeau', 'Leeroy Jenkins')
    ('Archon Shiva', 'Diviner')
    ('Prime Intellect', 'Cupid')
    ('Chumpy', 'Demon (WITCH)')
    ('Milskidasith', 'Wizard')
    ('x1372', 'Vampire Hunter')
    ('turtle88222', 'Vigilante')
    ('Foo', 'Bard')
    ('Arkaal', 'D.O.B.')
    ('RoieTRS', 'Gambler')
    ('Claytus', 'Medium')
    ('Ehrgeix', 'Assassin (SPY)')
    ('bbobjs', 'Priest')
    ('AlexSierra', 'Correspondent')
    ('icewolf34', 'Junior Witch (WITCH)')
    ('acidile', 'Necromancer (WITCH)')
    ('Bandages', 'Martyr')
    ('koopatroop', 'Enchantress (WITCH)')
    ('-Y-', 'Warlock (WITCH)')
    ('Fry', 'Judge')
    ('YukiOnna', 'Acolyte')
    ('Golden119', 'Mad Scientist')
    ('brainof7', 'Little Witch')
  5. RoieTRS

RoieTRS Active Member

good game well played
  6. garcia1000

garcia1000 World Champion Staff Member

Witchhunt Times, 8 February 2011

Witches Win!
    Silencer gonna Silence
    Reporting by garcia1000

"At least it was over quickly," some guy said.
  7. sukaeto

sukaeto New Member

QT posts pl0x.
  8. garcia1000

Hey how did Bard know how to amp Priest every day
  9. sukaeto

sukaeto New Member

Intuition!
  10. Karrius

Karrius Well-Known Member

For what it's worth, as my QT will show, I pegged bbobjs as Priest on D1.
  11. YukiOnna

YukiOnna New Member

Probably because bbobjs and I got into an obvious acolyte/priest fight day 1.
  12. garcia1000

Oh, I wasn't paying much attention to that stuff I think

Neither were witches?
  13. YukiOnna

YukiOnna New Member

Apparently. Score!
  14. sukaeto

sukaeto New Member

Foo mentioned how he figured it out in deadguy chat. It was quite an amazing read on his part.
  15. Karrius

Karrius Well-Known Member

16. Logo

Logo Well-Known Member

Award time (aka comments)!

Best Read: Foobard for picking up on bbjobs and giving him a constant stream of amps. Honorable mentions: Sotek

Yomi level 50 for overthinking it: Chadmiller for crafting crazy gambits when it was just the simplest explanation. Honorable Mentions: Town for way overthinking everything.

The real LEEEERROOOOY: Prime Intellect for the brilliant gamble of mayor-amping the lovers... that didn't exist and stringing town along with him.

Lived way too long: Firewind+his other personalities. HE WAS OBVIOUSLY NECROMANCER, ASSASSIN, or SILENCER. Why else would he blow up AT NIGHT complaining about unclear rules :(. Honorable mention: brain. he lived like 4 days as a pretty much confirmed witch! Wtf!

Best Town: Ehg was a great spy so he gets my town of the game, especially since the rest of the town kinda dropped the ball. Honorable Mention: sukaeto for his great way of obscuring his role while leaking info to town.

Best Witch: hmmm, hard to say, but I'll go with Koopa for being in coven, but not crazy outed as witch. Chad would get it if he didn't blow up with a silencer. Honorable Mentions: Egh lol. If he wasn't a spy and misleading coven he woulda been the best witch.

---

Anyways I thought this ruleset was interesting. The power-witch block is pretty shitty, especially since spy can so easily be mechanically confirmed via the witch powers. There's also probably too many info roles floating around which kinda sucks. Beyond that though I thought the amping was cool and the first 4-5 days were really nice with the game being almost entirely centered around reads rather than revealing. People say it got to the end game faster than the other WHs, but it seemed the opposite to me if you go by the # of days that past. Silencer and the witch-power block needs a change, but it seemed kinda neat overall as an outsider.
  17. ChadMiller

I don't know but this was what caused that attempt on "Prime Intellect = Priest"

The goofy thing is that my working theory became that PI was traveller d1 and decided he would improvise his "reveal" around whoever he switched with. I then decided that he switched with Sotek the Priest, which was why Sotek freaked out on everyone who tried to pressure him later. successfully blind silencing Sotek the Traveller only made me more convinced we were right.
  18. ChadMiller

btw, since garcia asked me in chat: 0 of those silences were double scried. All of them were 1 scried/1 non-scried, except the misses which were 0 scries.
  19. Romdeau

Romdeau Member

I never got amped twice, I am sad.
  20. ChadMiller

after your amp request, I was going to silence you as leeroy if we hadn't already seen to it that no one would live long enough to give it to you. we figured it out pretty much immediately.
  21. bbobjs

bbobjs Well-Known Member

So sorry I didn't reveal my priest info earlier. I didn't want to reveal until I had 3+ witches confirmed but by the time I did we were already lynching them so I didn't think I needed to. I was trying to think of a way to make it look like I was bard and spill more info than I intended to but I got lazy and didn't. Plus I didn't think witches would buy that bbobjs bard managed to peg priest. The reason I double checked Sleb is I wanted to get a block and ensure that we had killed at least one witch by that point in the game, it had nothing to do with his gambler claim.

I really wanted to call attention to this post:
    ...but it was the most obvious trap ever so...

Lesson to learn: bbobjs hates playing priest and isn't all that good at it.

Biggest mistake: Not getting ithaldir lynched on day 3.
  22. ChadMiller

wha? witches are going to haunt someone who was already checked?
  23. icewolf34

icewolf34 Well-Known Member

I had a lot of fun playing as JW, and I think the JW/LW combination can do a lot of damage. I had (I thought) a pretty good system set up for hidden communications with brainof7, although he didn't send me much. I worked out pretty soon that koopatroop was a witch, although I originally thought that Fry was one also. I was positive Roie was a witch that screwed up horribly, and I was just about ready to give up there and then.

brainof7: Why didn't you send me more? Necro information and 1-2 more coven would have kicked ass. I was like, hopping mad after I stuck my neck out for you on D1-2 and the information stopped coming.

Totally called the no-lovers world by the way, but I couldn't push on it too hard at the time. (Sotek said I was reaching, haha.) Would have been lovely to get PI lynched that way. Ironically, I think it was actually ChadMiller that suggested that we do the negative confirmation (I am not a lover or can't disconfirm) rather than the positive one (I am not a lover or can't confirm).

My biggest mistake was a miscommunication on D1 with brainof7. I thought that miniwitches could join at any time, so I kept prodding him to join D1. Then when he lived, he just saw those messages out of context and joined N1 instead, which I thought would end up getting him checked and killed.
  24. ChadMiller

icewolf, part of the problem is that JW joining n1 is like super classic spy play and I was freaking out at the idea of someone wanting to send a bunch of coded hints in a game with correspondent

I actually kind of wanted him to get killed, then the bastard goes and runs town around for like four days
  25. ChadMiller

and like, brain didnt' tell us who you were at first, because spy, but then we're like "WTF YOU WANT TO TELL HIM WHO WE ARE WITHOUT TELLING US WHO HE IS?" because spy
  26. brainof7

brainof7 Member

It was funny. I joined basically to try and send messages to icewolf but ya, kind of tricky. Everyone in town was convinced that I had to be coven witch too, if you look at D1 theories there are a lot of people that just completely discounted me miniwitch. I only joined because I expected to die D2, and the fact that I lived to D4 is just so hilarious.
  27. bbobjs

bbobjs Well-Known Member

And yet:

Post 35:
    Uh... can I check Prime Intellect twice?

IDK sleb and garcia I guess, kinda hoping for a block here.

Post 36:
    blocked and good! (respectively)

Basically at this point I'd hit 4/5 coven members so there was only one possible target that would check 'evil' and I'd rather not hit him simply to avoid slipping up and revealing spy.
  28. icewolf34

Yeah, I was quite proud of helping brainof7 live to d4. I remember I was actually really upset with brain's play up until the end, but then I remember d3 was pretty impressive for some reason (I can't quite recall what he said to get away, don't feel like spelunking). Definitely he went down fighting the hardest of any of the witches so far. Sleb also gained us a very valuable read when sukaeto came out and disconfirmed him. I also think that Alex shouldn't have come out in support of the spy (sorry Alex).

ChadMiller, correspondent wouldn't really have been able to decode brain's code though, right?

Props to Sotek for a bunch of nice reads, by the way. I was so pissed off when witches went and killed Fry, after Sotek had named (Fry/icewolf) as one-of-these-two-are-witches. In the end killing Fry might have saved the game for us though, due to D3 no-lynch.
  29. ChadMiller

that

i

what

...I thought GAs got priest check results?
  30. ChadMiller

Well, depends on just how elaborate it is. Correspondent would know to watch brain for hints.

And if you were spy, then that's just awful for us. You were actually my #2 spy candidate before everything exploded.
  31. sukaeto

sukaeto New Member

They do. (bluh bluh 10chars)
  32. icewolf34

Fair enough, I did realize that pushing brain to do that kind of play would make me look spy-like. I'm just glad you didn't NK me. :p

It might also have been a bit selfish -- I really didn't want witches to bloc up unknowingly on brainof7 on D2 and thus sever my only link with the rest of the coven. A JW that gets fed just like 2 coven members and 2 necro roles seems like he would be ridiculously powerful.

---
    Ought to be okay to post QT's, right?

My private QT: http://www.quicktopic.com/45/H/35w38ujW2BY
    Short-lived shared QT: http://www.quicktopic.com/45/H/8AmDbDycie8EP
    Endgame witch QT: http://www.quicktopic.com/45/H/yQGA63zavkrig

Do you guys mind posting previous coven QTs?
  33. garcia1000

icewolf QT

lololol
  34. ChadMiller

ok, then I refer you to the other half of my post:

that

i

what

EDIT: like, if ghosts know a guy was already checked, haunting that guy makes like no sense, so apparently bbobjs made a play hoping someone would do something ridiculous that made no sense and it fucking WORKED?
  35. bbobjs

bbobjs Well-Known Member

36. ChadMiller

btw, talkinator log:

ChadSilencer: my QT should be somewhat entertaining
    ChadSilencer: because it's me alternating between my horrible reads and everything I dislike about this ruleset
    ChadSilencer: one other thing I didn't lie about: my rolereads are not that great until the endgame!
    Soteeek: ehheh
    ChadSilencer: here is a funny rules issue that is not immediately obvious
    ChadSilencer: so, it's in witches best interest to hide their roles at first
    Soteeek: Right.
    ChadSilencer: and at least one witch knows the identity of two townies that can't be nk'ed
    ChadSilencer: think about what the means for nightkill votes
    ChadSilencer: "at least" = "only one"
    :: User List: CWheezy, BusyMarine, ChadSilencer, Sotek, ClueMan, Thelo, LoseMouse, Soteeek:

Soteeek: ... ehheh.
    ChadSilencer: especially when one witch is afk all game
    Soteeek: lawl. D:
    ChadSilencer: I had some heat as possible spy after awhile, just because i was doing things like begging the enchantress to claim because i was sick of conditionals, and trying to get acidile lynched out of spite
    Sotek: naha.
    ChadSilencer: although that's another nutty thing
    ChadSilencer: with nerfed sacrifice, you basically can't sac without a spyclaim
    ChadSilencer: so if spy just goes afk and town doesn't care
    ChadSilencer: wtf do witches do
    ChadSilencer: at all
    Soteeek: You ... mmm...
    Soteeek: well
    Soteeek: in theory without spy you should do ok.
    ChadSilencer: well the idea is that he's "afk"
    Soteeek: right afkcidile. ... mmm.
    ChadSilencer: but will poison if it comes up
    ChadSilencer: or if town bounces an NK, "sorry was busy, yeah he's a lover"
    ChadSilencer: or "oh I wasn't silencing anybody because I was afk"
    Soteeek: well bouncing nk on lover isn't horrible. but. yeah, afk witch is horrible.
    ChadSilencer: i disagree that bouncing nk isn't horrible
    ChadSilencer: one or two confirmed town basically neuter silencer threat I think
    Soteeek: Well I mean: if you bounce on lovers, town makes mistaken conclusions probably.
    ChadSilencer: I don't see how that helps witches though
    Soteeek: and I'ono, silencer was still very scary to me
    ChadSilencer: like, witches care a lot about lover bounce vs. ga bounce vs. traveller bounce
    ChadSilencer: town whatever, there was a bounce and someone is almost 100% town
    Soteeek: yeah but if it's a lover bounce enchantress has potential bullshit endgame that will blindside town
    ChadSilencer: so...lovers claim if that might happen?
    Soteeek: Town concludes enchantress is dead though.
    ChadSilencer: why?
    ChadSilencer: oh, I see
    ChadSilencer: because barring spychantress or our last night that doesn't happen
    Sotek: Yeah.
    ChadSilencer: still, I think the sheer number of ways town can survive an NK, thus virtually confirming town without claiming or giving any tells whatsoever, is a big problem
    ChadSilencer: it's my feeling about this whole game in general really
    ChadSilencer: town has all these passive or low variance ways to get tons of info
    ChadSilencer: including guys who are told "this guy is town" at the beginning of the game without even doing anything
    :: ClueMan is now known as Chump
    Sotek: well the Sotek Vote Analysis Machine has been displaying terrifying results in practice, like hopy shit.
    ChadSilencer: and that also
    Sotek: (also, *really* brainof7 is miniwitch, what the FUCK.)
    ChadSilencer: one or two good town can carry a non-retarded town
    ChadSilencer: while like one or two bad scum can just tank scum
    Chump: See how the game plays out I guess
    Sotek: Yeah.
    ChadSilencer: it's like, scum is already higher variance because smaller numbers
    Sotek: Hmm.
    ChadSilencer: and spy necessitates all these witch roles that are individually even higher variance
    Sotek: t'ch, yeah.
    Sotek: otoh, man, look at dersehunt
    Sotek: that's sotekhunt rules and gog dam.
    ChadSilencer: so town can kind of durdle along and wait for things to happen while scum is juggling hand grenades and hoping not to drop one

http://www.quicktopic.com/45/H/W6v6uZRt6dDn/p-1.-1
  37. ChadMiller

rofl, I just realized something.

I was dead convinced PI was priest at one point. I think came to the conclusion that PI priest -> Sotek Traveller -> garcia Survivalist

awesome that a completely wrong read led to two correct guesses
  38. sukaeto

sukaeto New Member

Hahaha. Yeah, you're right.
  39. sukaeto

sukaeto New Member

Also while I'm thinking about it: Ithaldir, if you made the knickers comment with some idea that Magi would post it in thread - wow, that was an amazing meta play. Like, if his claim wasn't so super believable, that would've made me start to doubt it.
  40. Logo

Logo Well-Known Member

41. Foo

Foo New Member

Pretty interesting game bard is a fun role to play(Diviner and bard seem like the most fun roles in the game(then again I do just like to role hunt)). I'm a bit sad bbobjs didn't do anything with that info :(. If I had amped trav sotek right before he got silenced I wonder how much of a difference it would have made. Should have amped sotek first damn.
    lol koopa I thought you were the spy when you said this. Thought you were trying to tell me demon got weird check info, so I amped the same target again.

Anyway I posted some thoughts in my qt but I stopped really looking for roles after I found priest.

http://www.quicktopic.com/45/H/KXjiCpyr6byW2
  42. ChadMiller

btw, nk'ing foo was actually a bad thing for us, because we scried bard right after we found out we'd killed him.

like, I can't believe how much arguing I had to do to convince witches the first two scry targets are DOB, then bard, in that order especially given that demon info proved bard was alive
  43. brainof7

brainof7 Member

:):):):):):):)
  44. koopatroop

koopatroop Active Member

Yeah everyone thought I was spy. So I must have done something wrong there.

We did have some pretty good reads from hints left. Icewolf called correspondent. Romdeau was obviously leeroy (actual if PI hadn't accidently said that Garcia was amped we would have silenced Romdeau as Leeroy). I was fairly wrong about things because I had thought that Karrius was Bard and Sotek Priest at one point and became fixated on that.

I think I should have revealed no lovers sooner, but I really wanted necro to reveal. Besides PI being cupid sort of fucked that since the only witches who weren't anti-PI were obviously witches by the time they were pressured and couldn't claim lovers anyway. I did not realize that failure to reveal that information would get everyone locked into a PI is priest world that did not make sense to me.

BTW, I think town played wrong and was encouraged to give hints when pressured. There were way TOO MANY role hints in a version in which this was terrible to do. Don't ignore the jiaflu rule. :p

BTW, I worry that Choc Pi's post-script won't contain the obvious lesson: Spy should gain his witch roles. Also necromancer discourages ALL role hinting and revealing which would be horribly unfun. Other than the Acidile / Firewind nonsense I was ok with the majority of the game (but that made me rage horribly). I actually enjoyed end game more than the rest of the game, but I'm guessing that isn't shared among town folk.
  45. bbobjs

bbobjs Well-Known Member

I didn't expect this post to have that kind of result at all.
  46. koopatroop

koopatroop Active Member

You could have just said, "silencing DOB means he doesn't get his kill". I was not clear on that. Also, the reason for suggesting priest was to resolve the clusterfuck of theories out there.
  47. bbobjs

bbobjs Well-Known Member

This is the post made me think you might be spy:
    It's also the only reason I checked you, although I almost ended up checking you day 1 but I figured checking Karrius was basically a 2 for 1 so...
  48. Romdeau

Romdeau Member

Well, where are those infamous CPi thoughts on how this game turned out.
  49. bbobjs

bbobjs Well-Known Member

Yea I thought this was something that should have been obvious. Like I almost typed out "If we don't kill demon they will scry DoB and Bard first" but then realized that would probably be a bad thing to say.
  50. Romdeau

Romdeau Member