Yomi Fan Characters

Discussion in 'Yomi: Fighting Card Game' started by CrystalChaos, Mar 15, 2012.

1. CrystalChaos

CrystalChaos Moderator Staff Member

I'm not entirely sure why, but I went through the Yomi forum and found (I think) all of the completed fan characters. The most recent ones are at the beginning of the list, although some of them are not in order due to opening new tabs. A couple are not here for various reasons, however.

Marisu Ravencroft Starflower, Super-angsty Snowflake -Kelli Morn
    Ordinary Guy -tipzntrix
    Varax, Bloodlord -ntillerman
    Wargüd, the Skinshifter -ntillerman
    General Cypress, Turncoat Tyrant -Saturday Saint
    Izzyx, Electromancer Adept -ntillerman
    Bar Tulbee, Careful Accountant -major_shiznick
    Maraxys, Reality Shaper -ntillerman
    Abaddon the Fallen -ntillerman
    Loki, The Deceiver, The Liar, Forked tongue, Red imp, Guy-who-owes-me-30-bucks-from-last-time --Y-
    Ismir, Paragon of Intellect -ntillerman
    Skorodok, Shadow Sorcerer -ntillerman
    SC5 Astaroth -Aphotix
    Johnny & J0N1, Technician & Humanoid -tipzntrix
    Tenjin, Divine Avenger -tipzntrix
    Caldera, the Heart of the Mountain -Saturday Saint
    Fan Character: Zweiguy, the Masked Giant -Saturday Saint
    Dan (Not that Dan) -Inkstud
    Eliza, the Witch -Turbo164
    Nekosuki, the Catgirl Ninja -Turbo164
    Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney -Morn and Scarbo
    Sophitia, Chosen Warrior (With full PnP Graphics) -janenglund
    Ian Lambast, the Critic -Captain_Honesty
    Black Knight the Berserker --Y-
    Eolos the western Sylph --Y-
    E's second character -E35711
    -----, Headsman -E35711
    Mira, Hollow Specter -chinkeeyong
    Kenichi, The Mightiest Disciple -Ahhdee!
    Parody of Yomi Fan Character -Kelli Morn
    Rakael, the Passionate -Daemondym
    Rothgar; Dax; Zantron; Dagoo; Namnu; Captain Orka -Turbo164
    Vortoss Probe --Y-
    Egan, the Stoic Duelist -Saturday Saint
    Marvel Yomi (Sentinel; Dante; Frank West; Phoenix Wright; Phoenix; She Hulk; Spencer;
    The Charismatic Pilot -Dustoman
    Bruiser, the Fist Fighter -tipzntrix
    Oliver, the Amateur -ruderobot
    Bayhu, Feral Fighter --Y-
    Orian Sopro, Self-Proclaimed Hero -Captain_Honesty
    Baldwin the Jester -cpat
    Fighter -World Champion garcia1000
    No-card guy -banewlf
    My Personal Vendetta -jelyman
    Captain Falcon -Stew
    Arakune -DieMyDarling
    Sophitia Alexandra, Chosen Warrior -janenglund
    Ebenezer Marx, Ruthless Trader -Djister
    Hans, Disgruntled Gardener -Hans
    Kanae (unfinished?) -TheRealBobMan
    Ax Mergegi, Distinct Old Guy -Domon
    Sarak, Malicious Sand Golem -Zalxixmavon
    Saria, Psychic Vampire -Deep6er
    Tank Character -SillySod
    Llosk, Master Knight -Zalxixmavon
    Behn-Jii, Reflective Outsider -Candi
    Grr, the idiot dog brain robot --Y-
    Jake, the Brawler -World Champion garcia1000
    Esoga, Skirmisher -Zalxixmavon
    Xiang Zong, Evil Magician -World Champion garcia1000
    Setsumaru -Domon
    Quinn, Acrobatic Grappler -Domon
    Makoto; Akuma -Zalxixmavon
    Minuet and Serenade, Twin Musicians -Cydrius
    Samuel Ashby -Crow_Winters
    Lorae Soulfeather, Delicate Mage -Coylise Myro
    William Irons, Master Psychic -Deep6er
    Lam-Lam, Slippery Monkey -Rat
    Lourde Abbel; Grand Genesis -Gavisi
    Occam, Peerless Fencer -Quixim
    Dooriya Lovell, Gypsy Fortuneteller -trojanrabbit
    Sleb -PeterBB
    Sleb (unfinished)-BT
    Sleb, Getting Thrown Guy -Gavisi
    Sir Jawain, Idealistic Duelist; Shel N; Malius Vannus, Pontifex Mortuus -BillTheManiac
    Brad -liq3

2. CrystalChaos

I'll try to add new ones as people post them.

3. jelyman

jelyman Active Member

This is pretty cool CC. Although I don't appreciate you excluding mine just because you don't like me, lol.

4. CrystalChaos

If they're in the forums I didn't see them.

5. jelyman

jelyman Active Member

Yeah I made one a long time ago. Or it seems like a long time ago. It was a character with no blocks and an AAAAJQK attack that did 100 damage if I remember.......the thread was called a personal Vendetta I believe.

No worries if you can't find it. Most likely it was too awesome for most people to handle........ Lol yeah right.

cpat likes this.
  6. CrystalChaos

Oh that. Ok I'll add it.

7. Turbo164

Turbo164 Well-Known Member

Wow, lot of creative people around here :D

I'll definitely read through that entire list when I have more time.

8. CrystalChaos

Reordered the list because I realized that part of it was in chronological order instead of reverse chronological order.

9. Amazing List. Makes me want to organize it by types of characters, playstyles, as well as put 'em into a wiki or something.

10. Morn

Morn Well-Known Member

So, what? Is Marisu Ravencroft Starflower not good enough for this list. You're going to make Kelli cry, CC. And nobody wants to see a fake 15 year old girl cry.

11. chinkeeyong

chinkeeyong New Member

12. CrystalChaos

Added recent fan characters.

Turbo164 likes this.
  13. perinigricon

perinigricon Member

I seem to remember Sleb's deck actually being made as a joke in the past (the guy who is getting thrown in the art on every card)... IIRC, it was B/D on everything except AAAA: Divine Retribution, Attack +4 face, 60+10 damage, 0.0 speed, Can't Combo and can only be played as the combat card.

14. CrystalChaos

Added 3 different sleb decks.

15. Turbo164

Sleb imba. :p

2 questions:

1. Would the mods be annoyed if I tried splitting my Wall-o-Text 6 characters into separate threads? Or should I accept the fact that they're going to languish on the shelf next to War and Peace? (or maybe they're too imba/perfect to even warrent discussion? /halfhearted joke)

2. Who would be interested in trying to set up a night to test some of these guys in Rulesless (like the Friday study sessions etc). Would be a pretty slow process as we'd have to keep looking up the stats for Hammerfall and Breaker Kick while we're holding Blackjack and Flash Gear in our hand; and we'd probably want to try multiple matchups for a better-rounded judgement (in case someone ends up like Rook/Lum, it would suck to only test a character once and buff/nerf based entirely on that single matchup and destroy all the other matchups in the process!). Would help a lot compared to just reading numbers in a void, and heck might even spark some creative juices for when Expansion testing picks up.

Morn can be scorekeeper <3

16. Daemondym

Daemondym Member

I think maybe this thread needs a sticky.

Also, I'd be interested in some playtesting, though my time online remains quite limited. Unity won't load on my phone, and I work 12 hour days at work.

Still maybe a wednesday when I'm not working.

As to your characters, the Wall'o'text does kinda make my eyes cross every time I try to read them.

17. Turbo164

I usually work Wednesday but happen to have tomorrow off if you want to try to get some matches in! (I'll be rusty since in the past couple months the majority of my Yomi has been observing/aphotix streams hehe).

Central US time zone here, don't know what time works best for you (or other people who want to join!).

18. Daemondym

Daemondym Member

Unfortunately I work Sunday -tuesday, and every other Wed, and this is my long week.

I'm usually busy on thursday, friday is study session, and saturday I have a tabletop thing at my house.

So, uh.. maybe I can catch you pre study group some friday. Or maybe we'll get lucky on a Wednesday. But, this week I'm stuck here.. on my phone..

19. janenglund

janenglund Active Member

I saw my character in your list, so I updated her to the forum with major corretions and link to full graphics to all of the cards. Could you change the link to the new thread instead of the old version?
    -> http://www.fantasystrike.com/forums...-warrior-with-full-pnp-graphics-updated.6198/

-Jan

20. CrystalChaos

I already added it to the top of the list. I can also delete the old ones if you want me to.

21. janenglund

janenglund Active Member

Well, it's up to you. Maybe it is interesting to someone to see the development of the character...? :confused:

-Jan

22. NoahTheDuke

NoahTheDuke Active Member

Seems like we need a subforum for posting fan characters. Then this thread could be stickied, which would act as a directory.

23. Turbo164

Might not be a bad idea; wouldn't want a new player to come here wanting to know "HOW I PALY ROCK GUY" and have to scroll past too many guys that don't exist ^_^

And in the opposite direction, once Puzzle Strike expansion is done and Yomi expansion picks up, our custom guys will be buried by threads about Zane and Gloria :p

NoahTheDuke likes this.
  24. janenglund

janenglund Active Member

I checked almost half of the list and I did not see any of the characters (except my Sophitia) with printable card graphics. I am sure that there is many interesting ideas, but I would rather print and play with interesting character than just to think how it would work in theory... Any of these characters has any kinds of graphics yet? Or are there plans to make graphics???

-Jan

25. -Y-

-Y- Well-Known Member

Making art is probably something no one here wants to do. And to nitpick even your Sophita doesn't have all needed graphic. She only has couple of cards, without all face versions (e.g. 2H 2C, 2D, 2S, 3H, 3C...).

A template for cards would be nice, but you could probably just write characters innate, stats and abilities on a piece of paper and play with some other char standing in for him.

EDIT: My conservative guess assuming you don't rip your art from internet is 2-3hr per different pose.

NoahTheDuke likes this.
  26. janenglund

janenglund Active Member

What? Maybe you missed it somehow, but check out this thread:
    http://www.fantasystrike.com/forums...-warrior-with-full-pnp-graphics-updated.6198/

There is a full deck of graphics, all the cards, 55 of them. So 2H 2C, 2D, 2S + 3H, 3C, 3D, 3S + 4H etc...

Yes, but I meant card graphics. Not making the art yourself. :) I bet one can find something to represent the character from internet... And making some kind of mockup cards with (or even without) graphics. I can understand that not everybody wants to spend hours and hours making card graphics like I did. But oh boy, I learned many things, that was the best Photoshop lesson ever! :D

I had an idea of a character and graphics of Sophitia came close to the idea and she was 'turned' to Sophitia. For me a good design is worth more than just theorizing, it is worth playing and needs (some) graphics. Why you really would put your effort of creating a balanced and fun Yomi character and then leave it just as theory? I bet I am not the only one who would be interested of testing out some of the characters if they were available.

OK, you can make it easiest way possible, but once someone makes mockups and shares them, the characters is available for others to play much easier. You can make a joke character, but if you really put any effort to your design, it would be nice to play with the character. It is not a problem to stick some mockups to sleeved cards if you have card graphics available. But I can understand if you but 15 minutes to create a character and then just leave it as an idea to the forum, that is more about the idea... But if there is a good idea, maybe it could be worth doing some graphics?

I am personally not interested of going trough all the 46 different fan characters and just think in my head how they would and would not work, but as I said above I could try and print one if there would be graphics.

There is a empty templates in β2.0 Mockup Cards thread here:
    http://www.fantasystrike.com/forums/index.php?threads/β2-0-mockup-cards.6168/

Or you can use card graphics from Sirlin Games website and enlarge them with Photoshop (or whatever).

But your answer meant that there is no other fan character with graphics then...? Or?

-Jan

27. -Y-

-Y- Well-Known Member

True, I missed the link.

However. There are few advantages to no-art fan characters. They are easier to fix and iterate and the eye candy doesn't detract from the mechanical essence of your characters. This is the same reason I post no story for my chars. It would merely detract from it's essence and I'm pretty sure Sirlin will need to write another completely different story for it to fit the Fantasy Strike universe.

NoahTheDuke likes this.
  28. Turbo164

I had a story at the back of my head for all my guys, but the size of the post made me not bother adding the extra words haha. While several of them came from DnD where they obviously had a story, most were not very compatable with Fantasy Strike; but I did imagine that like Dagoo being part of an order of flame-weilding monks/clerics would be interested in Jaina's abilities, Dax's zaniness would make him inclined to agree with Zane's methods more than most, Orka would probably be a good drinking buddy for Lum, etc.

Art's a bit too ambitious for my stuff; considering the hours I sunk into my custom MTG draft sets, W40k armies, DnD homebrew classes etc, and the hours they actually got USED...not going to sink the extra time into making pretty pictures. If doing the artwork is fun for you, by all means go ahead; but I find making the numbers to be more fun (math degree ftw) and am content with the pictures in my head; if they're different from the pictures in my opponent's head, I don't mind, I'm just happy there *is* an opponent and care what they think about the numbers hehe.

Janenglund's art was good and did enhance the feel of the character (although having played SC enough I already knew what she looked like), I'd just rather spend my time focusing on the gameplay :)

29. ratxt1

ratxt1 Well-Known Member

That feeling when a spam bot necros a good thread.